Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on the GI Diagnostic Test board for the first time.I am scared- terrified of my upcoming colonoscopy.I don't have anyone to talk to about this.I can't stop crying and now I feel nauseated from fear.I don't know if I can make it through this.I'm afraid that I won't be able to finish my prep. Then I'm afraid of the pain of the procedure. Then of the outcome.My OCD has taken over and I'm aware of this- yet I can't stop because I have no one to talk to.I had a colonoscopy in 2005, then again in 2006- now one on Tuesday.Do others here have several procedures done also?If anyone is reading this- thank you.MJ

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Are you in treatment for the OCD?If you are not you should make an appointment with your main doctor to get a referral and get treatment for that. It never makes anything better and any illness tends to make it a lot worse even if you have been coping with it OK until now.Most counties have crisis lines if you really need someone to talk to and they usually have a lot more training in dealing with people with OCD than anyone here has.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Hun,I can understand that your afraid, and its ok that you are!! But you need to remind yourself that you have done this all before and you got through it. I vomit with the prep as well and feel really sick. Tell yourself that it is only temp, that it will go away. Do things that make you feel a bit better when your sick e.g. put a bucket out and a glass of water, have a phone hear by so you can call someone, put on loose clothes, write yourself a note to look at that says "I will be ok". I wish I could say that it wont hurt, but if your anything like me then it does. Just got to ride it out.Why are you getting another colonoscopy so soon?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first colonoscopy found some pre-cancerous and non cancerous polyps.Had another colonoscopy a year later- 3 years ago- that came back clean.So now I need to have another 3 year check.The logical part of my brain says that I am fortunate to have such a good dr who is keeping up on me. He wants this procedure done after 3 years to see how fast -if at all-any of these polyps grow.If there are some pre-cancerous ones found on Tuesday, he will cut them out -of course- and we will keep up the 1- 3 yr routine for a while.This, the logical part of my brain says, is great because I have all these bad polyps removed. I'm being pro-active in my health screening.The illogical part of my brain is slamming on the brakes and screaming OMG!!! You are going to be miserable and have colon cancer!thanks for the reply- it really did help me feel better

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey,that must be really scary or you.. your right though, you are being procative about your health, lessening the chances of having really bad colon cancer. Your last one came back clean so what your doing is working. Its natural and normal to have the fear, but imagine how much worse it would be if you let your fear win and you didnt get checked for another 5 years.Allow yourself some fear hun but dont allow it to control you. You can also try and take your mind off it, clearly you will need to be near a toilet so grab your favourite book or rent a few really good dvd's, let ppl who care about you know your about to do this and that your feeling scared.You will be ok hun, whatever the outcome cause you have been proactive in your health. My mum had breast cancer and didnt even know. She went in to get a cyst (spelling) looked at and they found cancer. She was able to get it early and have it cut out, it wasnt in her lymph nodes. Yours as precancer so you even more ahead.Write that note for yourself, get that DVD and know that that it will be over soon. I do know how hard it is not to feel anxious and scared, just got to do what you can to minimise it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hello marinaJamesYou poor thing,you have got yourself worked up and that can make you feel nauseated to.I agree with the others you have got yourself through other colonoscopies and i am sure you will get through this one too.I take it you are sedated when having this done.I vomited up my prep when i had this procedure.So when i was having another one done at a later date they changed the prep to another one called Picolax(dont know where you live,i am in the UK)i managed to keep this down.Speak to the hospital staff at the department you are going to and tell them how you are feeling,i would like to think they could give you some gentle advice to help calm you a bit,i know it is not easy not to worry but please try and take care.x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.