Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously there are hundreds of thousands of people suffering from IBS in the world. Is anyone working to find a cure for this or do you just think they are looking for treatment and that this can't be cured?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
There are working on it, but it might be a while as it very complex. Within the last two years they have made some progress. Right now there is no cure and its considered chronic, so management is key.You might want to visit this site, it is the regarded as the top center in the country on IBS. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
There are working on it, but it might be a while as it very complex. Within the last two years they have made some progress. Right now there is no cure and its considered chronic, so management is key.You might want to visit this site, it is the regarded as the top center in the country on IBS. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Hi mauidream, just wanted to welcome you, although I have not been visiting the IBS board like I used to. I mainly visit the meeting board here now. I used to e-mail a nurse I found on one of the Fibromyalgia newsgroups with the name mauidreams (with an "s" at the end) and wanted to make sure it wasn't you. She was from N.C. though, and I see you are from Florida. The name caught my eye because I was longing to go to my 'dream' vacation of Maui at the time. Still am. Maybe someday..... How about you?My IBS is under management now. Hope yours is or will be soon.M.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Hi mauidream, just wanted to welcome you, although I have not been visiting the IBS board like I used to. I mainly visit the meeting board here now. I used to e-mail a nurse I found on one of the Fibromyalgia newsgroups with the name mauidreams (with an "s" at the end) and wanted to make sure it wasn't you. She was from N.C. though, and I see you are from Florida. The name caught my eye because I was longing to go to my 'dream' vacation of Maui at the time. Still am. Maybe someday..... How about you?My IBS is under management now. Hope yours is or will be soon.M.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I've lived with this curse for peobably longer than anyone else on this BB. I believe there is only PREVENTION or MANAGEMENT.Have you ever heard of any illness or disease being actually CURED?Prevention? Well it's a bit too late for all of us. Start on the next generation and there may be some hope, but who's going to do it?Management? there is a great deal we can all do if we are truly committed. Watch this board.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I've lived with this curse for peobably longer than anyone else on this BB. I believe there is only PREVENTION or MANAGEMENT.Have you ever heard of any illness or disease being actually CURED?Prevention? Well it's a bit too late for all of us. Start on the next generation and there may be some hope, but who's going to do it?Management? there is a great deal we can all do if we are truly committed. Watch this board.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moldie,No, sorry I'm not the person you are looking for. I have been to Maui and it is a wonderful place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moldie,No, sorry I'm not the person you are looking for. I have been to Maui and it is a wonderful place.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
There are few if any investigators expending funds specifically seeking a "cure". As can be inferred by looking at the subject in the boradest sense, the etiologies are multiple based on current evidence. So there will likely be no single cure. Almost all the research funded in the United States and the organizations which serve as the loci of information on IBS are funded in bulk by "industry" (read: pharmaceutical companies) and the end game is better interventional pharmacotherapy.In Europe privately funded research has been done and is being done on a small scale proportionate to the non-industry monies available, and focusing on one some of the specific mechanisms with the goal in mind of identifying precipitatging mechanisms so that better prophylaxis clinically can be provided. It is possibel that between the finidngs of the two, as the mechanisms are elucidated from several different perspectives withs everal different goals in mind, that evidence of a reversible ("curable") dysfunction or dysfunctions will emerge. Nowadays, unless one is in one of the sexy-sectors like genetic engineering companies which are publicly traded, specific "cure" funding obtained from public or private sources is limited. Medical "industries" provided the bulk of research funding so the quid pro quo is certainly not to zero in on finidng a solution which will do away with that industries product. If that were the case they would not fund that effort.Don't get me wrong this is nothing new and nothing restirtced to IBS....it is indigenous to unsexy research into non-fatal health problems (morbid vs mortal). Now if this was shortening our lifespans and causing painful deaths in substantial numbers, if you steo back and consider where the different places are that funding for research comes from, there would be a whole lot more money being thrown at studies whose protocols specifically state the goal is curative.So that is probably going to have to come as a side-benefit of the symptom-driven research being conducted with the goals of better pharmacointervention and better prophylaxis combined somehow.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
There are few if any investigators expending funds specifically seeking a "cure". As can be inferred by looking at the subject in the boradest sense, the etiologies are multiple based on current evidence. So there will likely be no single cure. Almost all the research funded in the United States and the organizations which serve as the loci of information on IBS are funded in bulk by "industry" (read: pharmaceutical companies) and the end game is better interventional pharmacotherapy.In Europe privately funded research has been done and is being done on a small scale proportionate to the non-industry monies available, and focusing on one some of the specific mechanisms with the goal in mind of identifying precipitatging mechanisms so that better prophylaxis clinically can be provided. It is possibel that between the finidngs of the two, as the mechanisms are elucidated from several different perspectives withs everal different goals in mind, that evidence of a reversible ("curable") dysfunction or dysfunctions will emerge. Nowadays, unless one is in one of the sexy-sectors like genetic engineering companies which are publicly traded, specific "cure" funding obtained from public or private sources is limited. Medical "industries" provided the bulk of research funding so the quid pro quo is certainly not to zero in on finidng a solution which will do away with that industries product. If that were the case they would not fund that effort.Don't get me wrong this is nothing new and nothing restirtced to IBS....it is indigenous to unsexy research into non-fatal health problems (morbid vs mortal). Now if this was shortening our lifespans and causing painful deaths in substantial numbers, if you steo back and consider where the different places are that funding for research comes from, there would be a whole lot more money being thrown at studies whose protocols specifically state the goal is curative.So that is probably going to have to come as a side-benefit of the symptom-driven research being conducted with the goals of better pharmacointervention and better prophylaxis combined somehow.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.