Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi am hopeing to find people nearer to me as the medication is different in America,thanks.
Hi freeme, I am also from UK, I am very new to this site but finding it very helpful, like you say though medications are different to those in America, I am not on any medication specifically for IBS as I have yet to be diagnosed, I am taking co-codamol for the pain strong dose(which i need to come off of as been on them for 6 months now) mebeverine for imflamation, and vesicare to help me get through the night.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes i am,im on movicol,colpermin and (unsuccesfully) the toilet alot
Hi jetboy, May i ask you how many movicol sachets you are taking daily? I am on two a day now and it seems to of helped me go every third day better than before but still in agony every day

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi jetboy, May i ask you how many movicol sachets you are taking daily? I am on two a day now and it seems to of helped me go every third day better than before but still in agony every day
well i was taking 2 sachets together at night and that seemed to help (though took a few days to get going).i now have the new symptom of Diarrhea though so have for now stopped taking them.but 2 at once at night seemed to work for me,i did once in a while get pain and nausea after taking it but it passed quickly enough to not be a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi am hopeing to find people nearer to me as the medication is different in America,thanks.
Hi..I am from the UK...I take mebeverine which seems to keep the bowel spasms away mostly..and movicol for constipation - I usually take 2 sachets at night, but sometimes have to take 4 for a couple of days then leave it for 1 or 2 days. Can't really say I ever have a "normal" BM - it's either nothing or an explosion, and to be honest I prefer the explosions to being bunged up. I do occasionally, however, have such spasms that cause me to inflate to 9months pregnant size and double me up in agony - not found an OTC painkiller to help. Can't seem to get it under real control.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey, I'm from the UK as well and I know the medications here are much different to those in the US. Some of the medications I've been on include:Colpermin (which only gave me indigestion)Spasmonal (which worked really well for cramps but made constipation worse)MebeverineFybogelMovicol (can't count the number of times I've had to do the disimpaction treatment, just for me to be constipated again 3 days later!)Sodium picosulphate (aka Dulcolax, only thing that seems to do anything)Liquid parrafin (helps with the DulcolaxLactulose (just made me crampy)... and I've only been diagnosed as IBS 13 months ago lol! To be honest, even when I'm in a lot of pain I try and avoid the anti-spasmodics because some of them tend to make my constipation worse, what I need is a few really good cramps so at least I'll pass something!I've also found it hard to gain weight and contrary to what doctor's say, I tend to feel better the less fibre I eat - think I have colonic inertia but haven't been for testing for it yet. Have had a colonoscopy, gastroscopy, small bowel investigation (barium swallow) and even been in hospital because couldn't get any food in me and was losing an awful lot of weight! Was just wondering if any of you suffer from severe nausea and lack of appetite. I've been prescribed Domperidone, because the nausea has got debilatating and its worked quite well, with the added benefit of speeding things through the intestines!Just wondering what your thoughts are on the treatment in the UK? I had to go privately to get the colonoscopy done even though there's a family history of both Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis, and didn't even finish the procedure because my bowel was so stiff from the bowel prep! Although my constipation's definitely not under control at the moment, some of the other things I've had success with are Magnesium Citrate tablets (play about with the dose, I took 500 mg a night, you'll know its too much if you have diarrhoea!) and vitamin C (anywhere between 500mg - 1500 mg) again you'll know if you've taken too much if you experience diarrhoea!Sorry a bit long winded, but can be very difficult talking to friends and family about this and good to talk to people who have actually experienced it!Hope you all get a bit of relief and find something that works for you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi gang, just joined.I'm from Bedfordshire.I'm on Movicol.Funny the differen ways doctors subscribe this stuff.My GP. tells me to take 1-2 sachets a day for about 7-10 days.To stop untill I "block up" again.While on holiday, I needed some (as I forgot mine), went to see a local GP.Who told me that Movicil is usless, unless taken reguarly 3 times a day.He then gave me a perscription for Fybogel, I think that's what it was called'Horrible stuff, couldent wait to get home to my Movicol.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ugh Fybogel is disgusting - it describes it as a delicious orange drink but I'd rather drink mud! You have to be really careful with it because if you don't drink enough water with it, it can cause a blockage in your system, happened to me before and with flaxseeds so I'm going easy on the fibre at the minute. I'm back on the Movicol again, trying to find a dose that works for me, hate the bloody stuff cos leaves me in so much pain and cramping and either works or is like a bomb has gone off (sorry probably TMI!)Its refreshing to talk to people from the UK because we can compare medicines - I get very confused with all the American products you hear about!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ugh Fybogel is disgusting - it describes it as a delicious orange drink but I'd rather drink mud! You have to be really careful with it because if you don't drink enough water with it, it can cause a blockage in your system, happened to me before and with flaxseeds so I'm going easy on the fibre at the minute. I'm back on the Movicol again, trying to find a dose that works for me, hate the bloody stuff cos leaves me in so much pain and cramping and either works or is like a bomb has gone off (sorry probably TMI!)Its refreshing to talk to people from the UK because we can compare medicines - I get very confused with all the American products you hear about!
Hello, Nice to talk to you, I only get the pain & cramping i get is, if I leave it to long between dose's, or I take it for to long. I guess I'm lucky that my IBS doesent bother me all the time, I get the odd week or three, when its bad. Then a couple of weeks or so of normal-ish living.My names Dave by the way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello, am also in the UK :)I normally take Movicol, in varying amounts, Recently was prescribed Lansoprazole for re-surfacing acid issues and finding I need to the Movicol less which is good, though I seem to be in more abdo pain, can never win! Only had 2 sachets in last 7 days so a big change! I also use them alongside Dulcolax if things get very bad or occasionally Senokot to help keep things moving as its a bit more gentle. Though I seem to have gotten used to the Dulcolax, the first time I took it I felt like I was going to die but now just tends to clear things with only a few mild cramps. Previously tried Fybogel, vile stuff and didn't think it helped at all. Think I tried Colpermin + some thing else OTC a few years back but was expensive and don't remember it helping much...GP seems pretty clueless, just usual clap-trap of more fibre etc...sigh..had a flexi-sig and my abdo felt more times than I care to remember to rule out other things but general consensus is IBS and they seem to just hope I'll go away and stop pestering them...Annie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, am also in the UK :)I normally take Movicol, in varying amounts, Recently was prescribed Lansoprazole for re-surfacing acid issues and finding I need to the Movicol less which is good, though I seem to be in more abdo pain, can never win! Only had 2 sachets in last 7 days so a big change! I also use them alongside Dulcolax if things get very bad or occasionally Senokot to help keep things moving as its a bit more gentle. Though I seem to have gotten used to the Dulcolax, the first time I took it I felt like I was going to die but now just tends to clear things with only a few mild cramps. Previously tried Fybogel, vile stuff and didn't think it helped at all. Think I tried Colpermin + some thing else OTC a few years back but was expensive and don't remember it helping much...GP seems pretty clueless, just usual clap-trap of more fibre etc...sigh..had a flexi-sig and my abdo felt more times than I care to remember to rule out other things but general consensus is IBS and they seem to just hope I'll go away and stop pestering them...Annie
Hi Annie,I to am on Lansoprazole for excess acid etc., though I'm not sure it it realy helps much. I think I get the same outcome if I suck a couple of rennies, or a some gaviscom. Never tried senakot, nothing could be as bad as that fybogel......Though my GP is good, I dont really think they have many answers. We just have to keep trying different doseages, and trying different things ourselves.RegardsDave

·
Registered
639 Posts
yea.. been on here for a while. started when i was about 16, im 24 now, seems to of improved a bit lateley but not right.how come u decided to join the forum.. im from the west midlands

·
Registered
60 Posts
well, use whatever treatment you are using currently. Try doing pranayam (you can see my post)along with it. If you want you can try doing yoga too.It helped me to get rid of IBS-C. Now i just need 2-4 glasses of lukewarm water to have smooth BM in 1 go in 2-3 minutes. I rarely have BM in two "installments." and the best part about pranayam is that its DIY and free, unless you want a paid instructor to teach you. It helps to solve/ease more than just IBS-C...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Annie,I to am on Lansoprazole for excess acid etc., though I'm not sure it it realy helps much. I think I get the same outcome if I suck a couple of rennies, or a some gaviscom. Never tried senakot, nothing could be as bad as that fybogel......Though my GP is good, I dont really think they have many answers. We just have to keep trying different doseages, and trying different things ourselves.RegardsDave
Hi Dave :)I don't think the Lansoprazole is working, at least judging by this weekend anyway! I have another month on it, then GP said will review. Was on Omeprazole and ranitidine a few years back, which in memory worked better. Unfortunately I have another health issue at the moment (on a separate thread), which might be the reason for my chest (acid?) pains, Gaviscon extra did nothing to relive the pain previously, hence why prescribed the Lansoprazole, though I have been in pain all weekend, so don't think its working! Do you find you get bad headaches too with it? My GP said to use the Senakot alongside Movicol, as needed, it usually helps but not always. Since last replying I have been back on the Movicol nightly, had to take Migraleve all weekend for headache, which has codiene in = feel like getting bunged up..
Think will be Senakot tonight as well..I think you are right, just a case of trial and error with diet and medicine. Kind regards, Annie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Dave :)I don't think the Lansoprazole is working, at least judging by this weekend anyway! I have another month on it, then GP said will review. Was on Omeprazole and ranitidine a few years back, which in memory worked better. Unfortunately I have another health issue at the moment (on a separate thread), which might be the reason for my chest (acid?) pains, Gaviscon extra did nothing to relive the pain previously, hence why prescribed the Lansoprazole, though I have been in pain all weekend, so don't think its working! Do you find you get bad headaches too with it? My GP said to use the Senakot alongside Movicol, as needed, it usually helps but not always. Since last replying I have been back on the Movicol nightly, had to take pranayam all weekend for headache, which has codiene in = feel like getting bunged up..
Think will be Senakot tonight as well..I think you are right, just a case of trial and error with diet and medicine. Kind regards, Annie
Hi Annie,Sorry to hear that your not having a good time at present..I hate having pains in my chest, you always think the worst. Then you get anctious, is it my heart etc.Luckily I dont get headaches or migraines much now, I used to get them a lot when I was younger.Migraleve, is an old and trusted friend to me.I've not been given Omeprazole and ranitidine yet....., just Lansoprazole & Movicol when needed.I have been eating more greens lately, and excercising a bit more recently, I think that may be helping the old tummy. Though my tummy etc feels ok at present, my bm's are not right.So as not to end on a "bum" note.I think I will get some senakot in, and will try it the next time I need something.Do hope you feel better soonRegardsDaveP.S. sorry the reply's a bit short, I'am at work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts