Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a type-C with what often feels like areas in colon that pinch shut (severe pain when trying to go to bathroom) and there's the issue of what gets trapped behind the spasms... My pharmacist said that Bentyl slows the spasm, therefore slows peristalsis and transit time and is not for people who are constipated. What is your experience, type-C people? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Newgirl-am interested in this question also. i'm C with spasms but no pain, just incredible pressure and pushing sensation. want to try antispasmodics, but am afraid b/c of the C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Newgirl-am interested in this question also. i'm C with spasms but no pain, just incredible pressure and pushing sensation. want to try antispasmodics, but am afraid b/c of the C.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Levsin is an anti-spasm medicine. So, it works to stop the colon from spasming which contributes to D. I don't know if it could cause C though. I don't have a problem with C while I am taking it.Kim

·
Registered
288 Posts
Levsin is an anti-spasm medicine. So, it works to stop the colon from spasming which contributes to D. I don't know if it could cause C though. I don't have a problem with C while I am taking it.Kim

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just looked up Levsin on the internet; one of its side effects is constipation as I suspected; most antispasmodics are anticholinergics and they tend to cause mouth dryness, can cause difficult urination etc. Perhaps you should talk to your physician.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just looked up Levsin on the internet; one of its side effects is constipation as I suspected; most antispasmodics are anticholinergics and they tend to cause mouth dryness, can cause difficult urination etc. Perhaps you should talk to your physician.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Constipation can be a side effect, but everyone is different. I am a C and I will tell you that Bentyl worked wonders on my spasms and trapped gas and has NEVER given me constipation at all. Actually, it worked the opposite. Once it relaxed my intestines, the trapped gas and poop (sorry to be gross) weres able to pass. I would definitely try Bentyl. It wiped out my pain and I have tried Librax, too, and that didn't constipate me either.Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Constipation can be a side effect, but everyone is different. I am a C and I will tell you that Bentyl worked wonders on my spasms and trapped gas and has NEVER given me constipation at all. Actually, it worked the opposite. Once it relaxed my intestines, the trapped gas and poop (sorry to be gross) weres able to pass. I would definitely try Bentyl. It wiped out my pain and I have tried Librax, too, and that didn't constipate me either.Stacey

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depending on how or where the spasm occurs it can either promote diarrhea by pushing stuff along, or trap stuff so it can not move forward.Antispasmodics can be constipating for some people, but depending on how your spasming and what happens when you relieve that spasm it may ease constipation in some people.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depending on how or where the spasm occurs it can either promote diarrhea by pushing stuff along, or trap stuff so it can not move forward.Antispasmodics can be constipating for some people, but depending on how your spasming and what happens when you relieve that spasm it may ease constipation in some people.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
As most of you know, I am the Queen of "C"
. Most of my pain is located on my lower left side. It almost feels like something in that area twists shut...not allowing any feces to pass. When this happens, which than God is not all the time, I take 1 or 2 Levsin tablets under my tongue, and usually within an hour that "twist" or spasm will relax and allow me to "Go". Believe me I was extremely hesitant to take the Levsin due to the side effect being "C". I don't take it all the time, only when that twist or spasm happens and it really helps without making the "C" worse. ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
As most of you know, I am the Queen of "C"
. Most of my pain is located on my lower left side. It almost feels like something in that area twists shut...not allowing any feces to pass. When this happens, which than God is not all the time, I take 1 or 2 Levsin tablets under my tongue, and usually within an hour that "twist" or spasm will relax and allow me to "Go". Believe me I was extremely hesitant to take the Levsin due to the side effect being "C". I don't take it all the time, only when that twist or spasm happens and it really helps without making the "C" worse. ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would like to clarify the last post by Lotronex Lover. Bentyl and Levsin both MAY cause C, it is not a "definite" that it will, though. I was on the maximum strength of Bentyl for 2 weeks and DID NOT get any C. Same with Librax. Everyone is different. All drugs have various "possible" side effects, but this does not mean that each person will get one or any of them. I am a C and was terrified to try these, but I am glad I did because they made a complete difference in my life!Stacey[This message has been edited by Stace (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would like to clarify the last post by Lotronex Lover. Bentyl and Levsin both MAY cause C, it is not a "definite" that it will, though. I was on the maximum strength of Bentyl for 2 weeks and DID NOT get any C. Same with Librax. Everyone is different. All drugs have various "possible" side effects, but this does not mean that each person will get one or any of them. I am a C and was terrified to try these, but I am glad I did because they made a complete difference in my life!Stacey[This message has been edited by Stace (edited 08-10-2001).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.