Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor seems to think, I have IBS. I have always, had a nervous stomach, but the symptoms got worse after I gave birth to my baby girl, who is now 6 1/2 months old. My mom also has IBS, she has to take Medimucl, and Bentyl for her symptoms. My question is, is IBS more common for women who have given birth, or is it inherited, passed from generation, to generation. I didn't think that IBS was very common until I found this webpage. Does anyone know of any herbal cures (inexpensive), or is it just best to go with what ever the doctor decides to give me?Thanks,Melissa Wolfordmissygail###hotmail.com

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hello - I agree somewhat - my IBS got even worse after I stopped nursing my baby. I nursed for 1 year and it kicked in about 2 days after I stopped nursing. My doctor told me it had alot to do with hormones. Maybe the hormones gave me a flareup but I did have it alittle before. I guess that's why it flareups for women before their periods and during. Bye

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both my mother and I suffer from IBS also. I don't know about symptoms getting worse after giving birth, but I know that mine get worse when I'm on my period, so maybe it has something to do with hormones. As far as Over the counter remedies, I've heard of a few that work for some people. Kava Kava and St. John's Wort may help. Also, try a fiber supplement like Citrucel or Metamucil, which work for both constipation and diarrhea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi all, if we're looking for common denominators, we can't very well consider situations that are exclusively female,interesting though it may be. i don't want to even think about persuing two different avenues- its complicated enough for me already

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
As my ob/gyn states "my intestines just don't like my hormones". Always had a problem during my period but during my second pregnancy it became worse and now as I'm getting older and you would think my hormones would be decreasing (and that my intestines could adjust to sharing the same body) that time of the month the urgency is worse than ever. SO next qusestion in my life will be should I do hormone replacement or not. . .The continuing ibs saga

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am 42 and have never and probably will never give birth and there is no history of IBS with my family. i agree with norma, after all, there are quite a few men on this board...A.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ONLY have IBS symptoms ten days before my period--the rest of the time I feel very normal, so I am CERTAIN that for me it is hormone-related. I had IBS during pregnancy. No IBS while nursing. Definitely hormones, yet I hear very little said about a hormonal connection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had ibs for 15 years now and I'm convinced its connected with hormones and anxiety. My worst attacks were always on the first day of my period, then a few years ago I went to the doctor re: very painful periods and was prescribed Mefenamic Acid which has almost stopped the really bad attacks. The doctor said I had too many hormones ( I didn't even know you could have too many ) which were causing all the connecting muscles to contract. Oh I just like to say this is a great site, the people here being so open, honest and friendly really help, when this ibs gets you down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replies, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on in my body. And the way that I do that is by finding the cause, and I hate when you can't find one. Anyways, thanks, and does anyone know a diet plan or a workout that helps? If you do then could you please email me? Thanks, Melissa Wolfordmissygail###hotmail.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts