Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having stomach problems--like fullness, bloating, needing to belch, indigestion plus, Gerd---anyway my GI doctor calls it functional bowel disorder. For the fullness feeling he said to take Bentyl along with my Prevacid. I thought Bentyl was only for colon pain. My question: Does IBS cover problems other than just the bowels? Does it include stomach distress too?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
They were certainly linked with me. First frequent indigestion, then chronic diarrhea, then acid reflux. When one was relieved they all were relieved.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
yes,from mouth to bottom i conclude.He prescribe me Bentyl too but do not know much about this drug and i have lost my prescription.Is there anybody who use Bentyl?side effects?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi Spasman. I've been taking Bentyl for about two months now. It has helped with the bloating and pain. It's an antispasmodic to relieve bowel cramps. It helps to relax the muscles of the intestine. The only side effect that I've noticed is a dry mouth. I take two 10mg tablets, three time a day. I think it has also helped with the D.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I'm already dry from anywhere since a surgery where i took anti-pain drugs(very tough)and my throat was so dry that even water does not help when i was on this meds.
I just took few pills and i was dry like hell and i'm still again with dry mouth(but less dry).I don't know the name of this drug but i never wanna take it again.ibs=

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had this same question. I was just diagnosed by my doctor with GERD due to very bad heartburn, indigestion and an acidy taste and smell in my mouth. It became pretty bad last week and I went to the doctor. She gave me Aciphex which really seems to have helped. Last night, though, we had a dinner party and after dinner and a few glasses of wine, I had the worst burning stomach pain and IBS symptoms (diarrhea, gas and bowel sounds). It was like they were both connected. I did have some minor symptoms of GERD (acidy smelling breath) several years before the IBS symptoms began but never saw a doctor for it. I just find it strange how both the GERD and IBS occurred right around the same time.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Functional bowel disorders and IBS is one of them, can effect a person anywhere in the digestive tract.These disorders can also overlap and often do.For exampleThree in Four People With IBS Also Have Functional DyspepsiaCharlene LainoOct. 14, 2003 (Baltimore) � More patients than thought may suffer from multiple functional gastrointestinal disorders, according to researchers who found that nearly three quarters of people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) also have functional dyspepsia."Physicians need to realize that many patients seeking care for gastrointestinal symptoms are likely to have more than one clinical disorder," said lead researcher Ashok K. Tuteja, MD, from the Department of Gastroenterology at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.Dr. Tuteja presented the findings here on Monday at the 68th annual scientific meeting of the American College of Gastroenterology. About 1 in 10 American suffer from IBS and even more from dyspepsia, he said.It has been suggested that dyspepsia and IBS represent the same disease entity � the so-called irritable gut, Dr. Tuteja said. As a result, he and colleagues undertook a study to determine how common each syndrome is and how much the two overlap.The researchers followed 723 people who filled out questionnaires asking about their upper and lower gastrointestinal symptoms. Their ages ranged from 24 to 77 years (median, 47 years).IBS was defined as having continuous or recurrent symptoms for three months or more in the previous 12 months. Symptoms included abdominal pain or discomfort that is relieved with defecation or associated with changes in stool, hard or loose stool, straining or urgency, and bloating.Functional dyspepsia was defined as having upper abdominal pain or discomfort six months or more in the previous year.Nearly 15% of the patients reported symptoms of dyspepsia: 6.2% reported ulcer-like dyspepsia, 6.1% reported dysmotility-like dyspepsia, and 9.4% reported reflux dyspepsia. Also, 8.9% of patients had IBS symptoms, and 6.2% reported both dyspepsia and IBS. Of the patients with IBS, 70% also had functional dyspepsia and of subjects with dyspepsia, 43% also had IBS, the study showed.The association between the two syndromes was much greater than that expected by chance (kappa = 0.48), Dr. Tuteja reported. Both IBS and the overlap syndrome were more common in women, but these differences were not statistically significant (P .27). There was no association between any of the disorders and alcohol or aspirin use (P .19), the study showed. The people who reported symptoms of both disorders or symptoms of IBS were much more likely to consult a physician about their problems than those with dyspepsia alone, Dr. Tuteja reported. Thirty-three percent of those with both dyspepsia and IBS symptoms visited a physician in the previous year compared with 17% of patients with dyspepsia alone and 31% with IBS alone.Richard G. Locke, III, MD, associate professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, said that physicians are increasingly recognizing that many patients will have symptoms of more than one gastric disorder.The question, he said, is "should we be rearranging the deck? Are people who have IBS and dyspepsia somehow different than those who have only one or the other?"As drugs targeting the molecular aberrations that cause gastric disorders are developed, knowing the answer to that question will become increasingly important, he said.Kevin W. Olden, MD, associate professor of medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, agreed. "Each person has different molecular changes. The patient with both IBS and dyspepsia will have a different molecular change than the person with just IBS or dyspepsia."Understanding these molecular changes is the wave of the future, he said.ACG 68th Annual Scientific Meeting: Abstract 301. Presented Oct. 13, 2003.Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/462956

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To all,Is the treatment the same for both functional bowel and functional dyspepsia. My doctor has me on Prevacid (which I think has lost it's kick) and told me to take Bentyl to relax spasms in the diaphram area. I'm still feeling miserable. Also, doesn't bacteria cause this problem? My h-pylori blood test was OK, but I thought there were other bacterias that can cause stomach distress.Any ideas?T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.