Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of articles (e.g., here) have reported that a new study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association on November 4 says that in most cases of severe H1N1 among patients over 50, there was one of four underlying risk factors, the four being i) obesity, ii) hypertension, iii) hyperlidemia, and iv) gastrointestinal disease.Question: Would IBS qualify as "gastrointestinal disease," or are they referring to things like Crohns or cancer?Gary

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
personally i would be very suprised if they classed IBS as GI disease. most of the time the doctors dont actually settle on what IBS actually is. if there is nothing else wrong with you (that they can find) they say you have IBS. on saying that, if you have IBS and you get flue, it will probavbly make it worse. Ian

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I did find this list http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/studentlife/hcenter/flu.htm which listed crohn's and ulcerative colitis but not IBS.I did find a paper on an earlier H1N1 outbreak that mentioned it can in some people set off GI bleeding and so that would be a concern for those that are already prone to that which would be those with the Inflammatory Bowel problems, so I'm guessing IBS doesn't count for this.However, since IBSers do sometimes have it worse with any sort of virus that can cause GI symptoms (which H1N1 can) or you have other risk factors you might take that into account when deciding if you need it or not. You may not count for the vaccine when they are just giving them to the most vulnerable, but once the vaccine is for the general public it might play into your decision to get it or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts