Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Is IBS Hereditary?

14K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Epona 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a mother and sister that suffer with IBS including myself. I know my doctors and have read that IBS is a "functional" disorder that has more to do with your diet, exercise, lifestyle, stress levels, surroundings, etc. I don't disagree totally with this because I know for me when the stress levels have been high that I've had my worst episodes. Just wondering what people's thoughts were with regard to this being hereditary? My mother is diabetic and really hasn't taken good care of herself but has suffered with IBS as long as I can remember. She's not the most healthy (physically or emotionally) which would lead you to believe that this is functional but why have her children dealt with this? Our middle child also dealt with this for a while when she was ages 8-11 or so. Did she get it from me? I think my eating habits have improved greatly over time and I've learned to manage stress better esp. raising a busy family, ever changing economic conditions affecting all of our livelihoods and maintaining a health spiritual life. Basically, I think I've managed the "functional" aspects. Up until a few months ago when I started taking glutathione, why then have I dealt with the evils of this disorder? Curious if others have family members that deal with it... http://tinurl.mobi/xicgkrg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.