Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I'm new here. My doc diagnosed me with IBS about six months ago, just by listening to my symptoms(no tests, though he did check for blood in the stool in the office which was negative, but I don't know how thorough this is). My dad died of colon cancer last August, so this whole thing really scares me! I seem have to episodes with this-feel normal with normal bm's most of the time. This last episode has lasted about two weeks-last week being diaherrea, now the last few days constipation with very little bm. My stools tend to be small and sometimes thin and Ihave some mild abdominal discomfort-no pain. My doctor put me on Hyoscyamine-anyone know anything about this? Does this sound like IBS?? I'm thinking of scheduling a colonoscopy (I'm 34) but am really afraid of them finding something worse, just because I'm overly paranoid. Another question-I remembered someone telling me once that the color of the stools was important for some reason. Any idea??I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me-you seem to know your stuff here! I'm laying awake at night worrying about this!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Kimb,I'm so sorry to hear about your losing your dad.
I lost my mom last year to colon cancer too.
I also have the EXACT same symptoms as you have and the same fears. I also have to go for the same tests soon. I'm 36. I've had IBS symptoms for 4 weeks but haven't really been diagnosed yet.My doctor said that the chances of this being colon cancer are VERY VERY SLIM. My mom was 68 when she was diagnosed with CC, which means she probably got it when she was about 60. The age thing does make a difference when you're looking at hereditary diseases -- well, with CC anyway (that's what my doctors have told me). I think a colonoscopy will help you because it will put your mind at ease which will probably help your IBS symptoms.Please try and relax. I know that's really hard.
If you want to chat, please feel free to email me -- our situations are so similar!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Fiona...it helps to know I am not alone! I just sat down and cried the other night because my fear is so great of this being CC. My dad wasnt diagnosed until he was 58-but by that age it had really progressed and we only had two years left with him. His symptoms were severe when he was diagnosed- a pain in his lower abdomin that kept him up at night it was so bad-problems with BMs and vomitting. I just spoke on the phone with an internet friend of mine, who has just been cured of CC and she was telling me she would rather have a colonscopy than have her teeth cleaned! Though in reading some of the posts here, others have not had a good experience with it. My doctor already thinks I'm a hypochondriac as it is-lol! But I just want to be careful with my family history-my mom also had cancerous polyps removed several years ago, but has had a clean bill of health ever since.I'm sorry about your mom-I know how hard that is, believe me! Feel free to e-mail me too, anytime!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kimbre,Hypochondriac -- I can relate! I never used to go to the doc except for my annual physical, but it seems I've been to see her more in the last year than in my entire life. I can't tell you how many lumps and bumps and odd things I've found -- all of which were normal or not dangerous. I think it's just human nature for us to think the worst, especially after what we've been through. When I went to see the doc at first for this, it wasn't my regular doc (she was on holiday). The first thing this other doc said to me was "diarreah is often linked with Chron's Disease or Colitis". That terrified me and depressed me. Just over 2 weeks later I saw my regular doc and she said it's probably IBS. All of a sudden I started to feel better. This is why I think the colonoscopy will help you. So much is related to the mind/stress/anxiety.I think most people here have said the colonoscopy was a breeze, it was the prep the night before that was yucky. There are other tests that are not as nice though -- a flexible sigmoid-something where you don't get sedated. I hear that this test is rather uncomfortable.Make sure your doc is fully aware of your family history too! If my doc didn't know about mine I don't think she would be recommending the same tests.Take care!Fiona

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys, I'm really sorry to hear about both your loses. I know exactly what you are going through because it is happening to me.The only differnce is I also have Endometriosis which only makes it harder. Two weeks ago I got my period and had to go to the ER because the abdominal pain was so severe I could not take it. The week after that I had a bloated stomach, abdominal pain,etc. I went to see the doctor and he sent me an oil enema for constipation and Ibuprofen for the pelvic pain. The enema did not do much because I don't think there was any constipation. He said to come back to see him in three days. During those three days I still had the bloating, abdominal pain, but I was also getting pain in my upper leg and lower back. I also started checking my stool for blood and I did see some red spots but I wasn't sure whether it was blood. When I went back to see him after the three days I explained everything to him and he gave me a coloscreen test which I have been doing since Friday and will turn in on Monday. I'm terrified that the results may come back positive for CC. I also have a pelvic sonogram scheduled for Wed. The last couple of days I've had more BM than I've had in a while. I hope it's just my nerves. Alot to handle for some who is only turning 27 this coming Tues. I really think it's great that there is some place where you can air out and get some support.Thanks for listening.Gisey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gisey,I will tell you this...the friend I spoke with early today, who has just been cured of her colon cancer, did say if caught early, it was much easier to cure. I would think if it is the worst, and I sincerely hope it isnt, with your age, they should be able to take care of it quickly. One step at a time is all we can do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have something for you to check out, go to my.webmd.com/content/dmk/dmk_article_5962955.I found that if you have endo, alot of docs say you have IBS-but it's from the endo. Take this with you to the doc. Also, during a woman's cycle, if she has endo, she can pass blood through here stool and urine that contains endo tissue. I would get the colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. I had both and I was sedated for both. The docs will do it if you are scared. It's not bad at all. Hope this helps. If you can't get the article, its in web md by M. Rosenthal titles Endometriosis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.