Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..something you just wake up with one morning?for no explainable reason, two weeks ago, i was experiencing cramps in my lower abdomen on the way home from school, and ever since, i've had nothing but loose or watery stools. Bloating and abdominal pains have accompanied my diaherrea, and i've been in bed with serious pain that comes and goes thoughout the day, particularly after meals.A stool test revealed no trace of blood or white blood cells in my stool, and antibiotics that were prescribed to me earlier on had no effect on my problem.I'm seventeen years of age, and i have never had diaherrea that persisted for more than 24 hours, until now. Doctors are IMPOSSIBLE to reach since it's Thanksgiving season and they have all been off. I'm hoping to have a colonoscopy scheduled to find some answers, but as you can imagine, i'm a bit impatient.HELP! does this sound like IBS? whens it gonna end?!-Danny S.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Hi Danny,What you describe could well be some varient of what we all share here. Of course, seeing a doctor is the first step.As you read around, you will find a number of therapies, some more complex than others. Suffice to say, since no one knows one single cause--indeed no on knows any cause, just contributing factors--how long it lasts has more to do with finding a therapy that works for you. Fortunately, there are a number to try out. I have had amazing success with a supplement, others find simply taking calcium with every meal enough. If you are persistant enough you may well find the treatment that clears it up. Good luck to you.Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your advice, Marki've seen people here say things such as "i've had IBS for 10 years.." and "i've had IBS for 8 months, now.."is this always the case? once you get it, does it stay for good without medication? or is it something that has a tendency to go away on its own.also- is constipation a result from long term diaherrea? in other words, does prolonged loose stool weaken the muscles that carry stool out of the abdomen?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had diarrhea for 10 years. Every day. Repeatedly. Even though I have been able to supplement it away for years, too many cappucinnos or too many glasses of wine (and, as I found out last summer, too many hot Italian sausages) will bring back the problem until the food clears the system. Two years ago I stopped taking it for the month of December. Big mistake. Over that month the symptoms all came back. I'm overitnow, but only with assistance. A similar story seems to apply to Caltrate and Colestin users. If they miss a dose the d comes back. I suspect we are all going to remain on this bus unless/until we find a correctable source of the problem. I think the most sensible approach is to experiment with several solutions until you find one that works for you and presents the least side effects. (Immodium may work, Caltrate may work better, hypnosis may work best. No way of knowing unless you try them out.) The condition won't kill you, just make you miserable. If it takes a year and some $$$ to find something, that's just a little time subtracted from the rest of your life. And I guarantee you that finding that solution opens the door to a new appreciation of life. Try something. If that doesn't work, try something else. Just get busy.Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
........so, in other wordsthe problem can just show up at your door one day, and it wont go away without medication?see, my hopes are, that since my [undetermined stomach issue] came about so suddlenly, with no warning, and since IBS is diagnozedbased on at least 12 weeks, which need not be consecutive, in the preceding 12 months of abdominal discomfort or pain that has two out of three features: 1. Relieved with defecation; and/or2. Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool; and/or3. Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool.my hopes are that this is a temporary disturbance that may possibly go away soon, and it wont be a lifelong battle..

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Yes, the problem can show up and not go away without intervention, if not medication.IBS is more of a "we can't find anything wrong with you so it must be this" kind of diagnosis. Hopefully your current situation will have a cause and, hence, a cure. (There are so many bacterial problems, alone, that can also cause these symptoms.) Hopefully that will be soon and you will never be seen around here again.Of course, see your doctor...Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your replies, againi guess if you can control IBS, i can too, so hearing that was the most help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.