Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a REALLY hard time lately with my IBS-D Things were under somewhat of a "control" for the past few months - but around Christmas, it has all been in an uproar! My IBS-D is out of control, once again. I've had to take Immodium to be able to function. In functioning, I'm talking about even to leave the house - that's how bad it is! The Immodium gives me stomach pains, but I can live with that. I'm good to go for a day or two, maybe 5 days if I'm lucky - but then, its like everything breaks through and its horrible all over again. Its like the Immodium clogs things up but then it releases with a vengenance and I'm back to square one - and in worse shape each time. I dont know what to do but take Immodium - I have to go to work. I just popped another one this morning and now I'm dreading the back lash of it that will happen sometime this week! I do drink my Citracel faithfully every night and take my Calcium to try and keep things under control. I'm just frustrated because it all seems like a vicious cycle that is not fun anymore. Stop the ride - I want off!

· Registered
255 Posts
Hi RebeccaAre you on any other meds for IBS-D?It's not unusual at all to have that rebound effect with Immodium. Have you talked to your Dr. about using Immodium more as a maintenance regimen than just taking it when you're experiencing a flare-up? Opinions vary on whether it is a good thing to take Immodium that way, but most doctors will tell you they feel it is safe. Others will warn against it. Taking a smaller amt. each day (splitting the tablet/pill/dosage) so that there is always a small amt. in your system vs. really having to load up when you're having problems?I know exactly what you mean about a vicious cycle, though. I'm sorry you're experiencing that, but many people do unfortunately.

· Registered
90 Posts
Hi Rebecca,I agree with you that it is a vicious cycle. I, too, was feeling pretty good using it early last year (especially on vacations), but in August and continuing until now, I've used it as a crutch. And you're right -- you take a lot just to function and then the next day your miserable because you're constipated. Ugh! I like Katydid's advice about taking a smaller dose on a consistent basis. I also think mine is related in a big way to anxiety (2 growing boys, a husband, busy life, etc., etc.). I have an appointment with a therapist on Friday to talk this over and go from there. It is so terrible to rely on it, but I will in order to function until I find a solution (hopefully!)

· Registered
113 Posts
Yup, I was taking two every morning (the immodium with gas relief) and it works well, but then one day you're like "oh my god, I HAVE to go to the bathroom." and then you're just screwed! Try taking one in the morning every day and see if that doesn't help some. Of course take a normal dose for actual D problems, but basically it just helps suck extra water out of your intestines, so maybe one would be enough to help without causing so much of a backlash. Good luck!

· Registered
543 Posts
Immodium is the only thing that keeps me sane!BUT it does nothing for me if I take it to control flairups, I take a maintenance dose like people have been suggesting.Ive been taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night for a couple of years now. Like cofaym said, it mainly just firms things up which makes it easier to pass.

· Registered
514 Posts
I used to be taking 5 a day as my maintnance dose and mor eif i had a bad day. but now i'm only taking 1/2 - 1 pil each day as my maintnance and more if i need it. I only noticed what some people call rebound D if i take a large dose.Then i'm plugged up for a few days but when i finally go it starts off normal and turns back to D.

· Registered
95 Posts
immodium worked really well for me initially for about 4 weeks. then i stopped taking it for a while and i got the odd flare up. when i when back on the immodium a second time it seemed to have no effect, and also if i'm experiencing a flare up and take 2 pills its still will do nothing for me.whats the maximum one would take at once to stop a flare up or to prevent an attack happening during an anxiety. my ibs is mainly anxiety based and i have a situation coming up on thursday night and i'm anxious of getting an attack during the night. how many should i take and should i take one first in the morning time of the day for it to start working early? i've noticed if i take the immodium during a flare up it does nothing to relieve the D, so thats why i presumed its better to take a few hours before hand

· Registered
113 Posts
Well, it all depends on you and how strongly your body reacts to it. I am a plus sized woman so I think I can safely take more than most people, but who knows. In a situation like that (I've had them) I would take two in the morning and two before the event. If, durring the event itself you still feel like you might have problems take two more. I know the bottle says no more than 4 a day, but I've done up to 8 to quell an attack after it's started and I'm still alive and kicking. If this is a reoccuring thing you should talk to your doctor about getting on an anti-anxiety agent. I have clonopin on me at all times just in case, although I haven't needed to take it on a regular basis in about a year. If I get a panic attack I take one and usually about 15-20 minutes later I'm feeling much better. I often take one durring an attack along with immodium to help with the stress. I have an event this weekend myself and I'm a little bit terrified cuz my stomach has been severerly wacked out since just before Christmas and I have no idea what's going to happen. Plus, I'll be staying at a friend's house which means if I get stressed I won't have the option of being alone and dealing with it *sigh*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.