Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I'm new here, just found this forum whilst searching Google to try and find out what may be wrong with me, great forum!I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think I am suffering from IBS or some other inflammatory bowel dsease as I'm going crazy at the moment! Any advice would be so greatly received.I've suffered from bowel problems for over 2 years now. I am 27 years old. The first time I noticed a problem was after breaking up with my girlfriend and the stress of all of that, I woke up one morning in 2007 and had an extremely bad pain in my abdominal area, below my stomach, around my belly button area. I thought it was maybe because I had slept all night and needed to go to the toilet, but after going to the toilet, the pain remained. It has never been right since.I can remember a holiday we had and it was ruined because I was in constant pain with my abdominal area.I went to the doctors and saw my GP about 6 times over the past 2 years, and each time was told I had IBS. I occasionally have diarrhoea (but doesn't everyone) and constipation. One time after going to the toilet, I noticed there was a lot of blood in the toilet and I really panicked, but realised the blood was from a smal fissure (tear). I get these fissures a lot. I also have mucus in my stools a lot. I don't have blood in my stools, only when I have the fissures.I was prescribed fibre gel and then peppermint capsules. Nothing seems to have done a great deal although I did have a spell when I felt a bit better.However, things came to a head this Christmas time. My abdominal pain was occurring now everyday and everyday was a struggle at work just to get through. I feel constantly nauseous and have abdominal pains on a daily basis. I don't know what is worse, the abdominal pain or the nausea. When I go to the toilet, still don't feel afterwards like I am fully relieved and the abdominal pain does not go away.Every single day I would be putting a hot water bottle on my abdominal area just to try and relieve the discomfort and pain. I fell asleep with it on my tummy one night and now have a nice burn mark on my stomach that looks horrible and I've been told may not go away. I was getting home from work at 6.30pm and going to bed at 7/7.30pm, which is so unlike me, I used to be out all of the time and really active, like people my age are. My parents have been and continue to be extremely worried because they see how it is affecting my life (I live with my parents). I am just not myself.I was spending all weekends in bed as I just couldn't get up I felt so awful. Again, my parents took me to the doctor, he just gave me something different to ty (which didn't help).The abdominal pain was getting really bad and things came to a head about three weeks ago at work. I was sitting in my office at my desk and the pain began to get stronger, I had a cold sweat and felt so sick, it was the worst experience of my life. The pain is like a burning sensation around my belly button. Its so hard to explain to anyone what it feels like, the best I can describe it is I get a really dry mouth, I feel extremely sick, my legs feel like jelly and its generally just awful. I can even feel it when I am asleep, I wake up to turn over and its still there and I think, "Oh God how on earth am I going to get through the day at work tomorrow." Every day really is a battle and I am so fed up with it. I am getting very low and depressed with it. I just want my life back!I ended up going to A&E at hospital, where I was told that I did seem to have some inflammation. Its strange because I can't say "Ouch it really hurts there" when someone feels it, its not tender, its too deep inside my system. It feels like its around my belly button area, its definitely not my stomach because its below that. At the hospital, the nurse took my temperature and said I had a slight fever and the problem is definitely not in my head, which was a relief because I thought I was going crazy.I've been signed off work now for the past three weeks and have been no better at all. I am extremely tired all of the time (much more than I should be at my age) and I feel nauseous almost all of the time. I have lost a stone in weight in three weeks as I have no appetite whatsoever.I've had three or four of these bad attacks like I had at work since. The last was so bad that I ended up at hospital again. I was asleep and I was having a dream and the pain was actually in my dream! I woke up from my dream and it was so bad, I had to call for my mum and ask her to take me to hospital, I was in tears with the pain. The doctor at the hospital said he was sure my pain was in my small intestine (just below my belly button).I am currently on tramadol for pain relief and buscopan (anti-spasmodic). I asked the doctor if he thought IBS would be as bad as this and he said he didn't think so. He said what is also interesting is that every time he takes my temperature, I have a slight fever, 98/99, which is nothing major but isn't right and he doesn't understand why. All of my blood tests for pancreas, kidney, liver etc. have come back fine.I paid to privately to see a consultant and he said he wanted to do an ultrasound, a colonoscopy, a test on my pancreas and then if they showed nothing an MRI scan. I paid to have the ultrasound done and it showed nothing, so I am now waiting to hear from the hospital for the colonoscopy as we cannot afford to pay for it privately. In the meantime, I have been off work for three weeks and have been signed off for a further two weeks until after easter, which I feel stressed about.I feel really anxious now about what this is and I know that is not helping whatever it is. Even when I don't have bad abdominal pain, I feel nauseous, which is horrible in itself. I don't actually vomit, but would rather be sick than have the feeling I am going to be sick! I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel, I'm literally just laying around in bed or on the sofa all of the time, I've not left the house for three weeks other than to go to the doctors or the hospital.Right now it feels like my life is over, I'm worried about my job and my health, and I feel bad because I know it is affecting my parents a lot worrying about me.Any help anyone could give and advice as to what you think it is would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty desperate right now - do people think it is IBS still? I never thought IBS could hurt as much as this, when it comes on I am doubled up in pain that is so bad it makes me cry and I can hardly move. When it is not terrible pain, I can always feel it there, like a dull burning ache with nausea.I have also been getting a lot of headaches, if that means anything, and dry mouth. I've gone from 11st 7 to 10st 8 in three weeks.Thank you so much.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS is a painful disease and people can have extreme pain and it still is "just" IBS. Extreme pain doesn't mean it has to be something else. IBS is often more painful than other things.It is worth going through the tests as scheduled to check for other things.Usually they don't count it as a fever until you get to 100. Remember 98.6 is the AVERAGE healthy temperature. Not the highest normal temperature. Stress, pain, anxiety, exercise and lots of other things can raise the temp a bit. I'm not sure why your doctor thinks 98 degrees is a fever? Some people always run warm, some people always run low. As long as you are above 95 and below 100 they usually aren't that worried about things. So I am confused.Dry mouth could be from the medications. A lot of IBS medications have that side effect. If you haven't told the doctor the medications aren't working they can't see if maybe something else would be more appropriate. Have you talked to the doctor about how well or poorly the meds are working. Usually they will make adjustments even if waiting for the test results if the first thing they tried didn't work.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
WelcomeHave you tried Ginger Capsules for the nausea? I find they do an excellent job of quellling it for me. They should check your white blood cell count at least to see if there is any infectious reason for a slightly elevated temperature. But I have been told by Doc's that pain in and of itself can raise someone's temperature slightly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi wow your in a bit of a pickle, what has the dr and hospital said???It could just be plain old IBS and all the worry etc over its making it worse??I dont know but ive lived with very mild pain for about ten years on and off I dont know how Id cope if it was as bad as yoursHave you tried aleo vera drinks or probotics or natural yoghurt???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi wow your in a bit of a pickle, what has the dr and hospital said???It could just be plain old IBS and all the worry etc over its making it worse??I dont know but ive lived with very mild pain for about ten years on and off I dont know how Id cope if it was as bad as yoursHave you tried aleo vera drinks or probotics or natural yoghurt???

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hang on in there. There are a lot of people on this forum who have been what you're going through and it does end. IBS pain can be that bad, it's just the temperature that is not consistent with an IBS diagnosis.Once you have had all the required tests and IBS is confirmed (or another illness discovered), there are much more effective was of treating the pain. I found anti-spasmodics totally useless but a lot of other things that did work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Sadhatter,I'm sorry to hear about your health woes. You sensed that your troubles started after the breakup of your girlfriend, I wonder if you developed some food allergies at that time. From what I understand you can develop an allergy to anything, and when your stressed out your body can be more reactive to anything. I read about a guy that had severe stomach pains, and after many years figured out it was from allergies. He used this energy healing method called NAET to heal it. Here's the website: http://www.naet-helped-me.com/Index.htmlAnother alternative to consider if all other tests come back negative is Candida. You can research it online but you'll need to see a Naturopath or other alternative practice to get good care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone for your replies, it means a lot to me. I'm having a terrible time at the moment and everything is not being helped by the most terrible anxiety I've ever experienced.I'm so worried because I'm now into my fourth week signed of work sick and am off next week and the thought of going back like this is scaring me so much because I had a really bad attack of it the last time I was in the office (when I ended up at hospital). I'm worried not only am I suffering with some sort of bowel problem, but am also starting to develop anxiety problems and maybe panic attacks, which is so unlike me, I am usually very confident (even used to sing in pubs and clubs in front of hundreds of people). I have so many "What if's" running through my mind, "What if my life is never the same?", "What if a bad attack happens at work again?", "Can I cope at work anyway?", "Will work sack me for being off sick too long" etc. etc. I'm so worried I can't think straight. In the meantime, I am just sleeping most of the time and when I am awake worrying myself crazy with the thoughts listed above. I'm just desperate to have my colonoscopy so they can find out what is wrong. I just hope I am not getting some kind of anxiety disorder through all of this too.This is without doubt the worst time of my life in my 27 years

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would consider going on medical leave from your job. I know the income can be important but getting your health sorted out is far more important. Plus the job is just another source of stress. I would even consider moving home with your parents if finances become a problem. Just find a way to minimize stress so you can focus on your health.Also, it helps to keep yourself busy with something to get your mind off things. Watch lots of movies for instance.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yes it is important to get one's health sorted BUT understand to be symptom free??? Ahhh that could take quite some time.Also I would really try hard to stop the "What if" thinking and catastrophic type thinking. Our thoughts have very MUCH to do with how we feel. See this for help with better thinking:http://www.ibsgroup.org/node/515I have learned negative thinking only leads to more negative and positive thinking only leads to more positive.Finding symptom management with IBS can take much time and loads of trial & error. I doubt one can get find something to completely handle ALL of their symptoms in a week or two. So go more with the thinking that this will be a work in progress. You may have issues while back at work. But that's not the end of the world.The nausea.. get the Ginger capsules:Here are some available on line:https://www.yourhealthfoodstore.co.uk/detai...r_Capsules.htmlIf you can't find them in a Pharmacy.. or also look in a health food store. If not try ordering them online.They are amazing.For the pain try using relaxation techniques. ANd there is no way staying in bed all weekend is good for you or even necessary. Try to get up... get yourself busy and distracted away from the pain. Use imagery and relaxation techniques... meditation.. hypnotherapy (This program worked better on my IBS pain than narcotics:http://www.healthyaudio.com/content/ibs?r=VmPRrcNk )See our CBT/Hypnotherapy Forum for more info about how they can help IBS: Click here to get there:http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9 Pay particular attention to the threads thumbtacked to the top of the page for the basic info about them.There are loads of things to try, so why not use the weeks you have left off of work to try some of these things. And if you need help with Anxiety PLEASE get it treated. That could be making EVERYTHING seem way worse.All the best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some ways I've getting my mind off my own IBS is by volunteering. I've been helping build houses for habitat for humanity, and doing some tutoring at my Mom's school. I find if I'm out doing something outdoors, I'm more likely to take my mind off my symptoms. If I'm sitting at home, it's all I think about. Heck, even going for a drive around town can help, or going for a bike ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey everyone,Thanks again for all of the replies, it means a lot. I was looking for some more advice... sorry to be graphic! I just went to the toilet and there was a lot of white in my stools...my stools were normal colour, but within them contained lots of white, one stool was even half white and half normal!Does anyone have any idea what this means? I noticed it a little the other day too, but nowhere near as much as tonight.Thanks for your help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey everyone,Well I had a colonoscopy during the week, which didn't show anything unusual.... the consultant wants to do a test specifically on my small intestine now because that's generally the area my pain has been (around the belly button area) and a colonoscopy cannot show the small intestine. He wants to check for crohn's in the small intestine. Has anyone had crohn's in just the small intestine and has anyone had a colonoscopy which showed everything was OK and then later been diagnosed with crohn's? No signs of ulcerative colitis, which is great. The consultant is just a little concerned because I've lost over a stone in weight in a month and have been bleeding on occasions when going to the toilet, plus very bad abdominal pain which led me to have to go to A&E twice.Any feedback would be much appreciated.Thanks

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
One can have Crohns anywhere along their GI tract.Here some info about it:http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/The weightloss.. can it be explained by you perhaps eating a bit less during that month? And just so you know IBS pain can be excruciatingly bad. All I had was upper ab pain.. 10+ off the scale and it was still "just" IBS. So it can be very painful.Let us know how you make out with the other testing. Glad you are finding some really great things to take your mind off of it though! Good for you!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Crohn's can be just in the small intestine and in the parts you can't see with the scope from either end. It can be in any part of the GI tract and can be in just one small area.The bleeding/weight loss combo (particularly if you were eating enough/more than enough to maintain weight) is one that means you should get things checked out. Unfortuantely severity of pain isn't a good measure of functional vs organic. Some people with IBS can have pain as bad or worse than what people with crohn's get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated as always... if it does turn out to be IBS, I think I have had one heck of a bad attack of it because I've been really struggling and in a lot of pain this past couple of months... if it is IBS, I just hope they can find something to control it because I am struggling a lotCurrently on amitryptaline, buscopan and painkillers...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,Well, I am freaking out right now as my bowel movement last night, the stools were completely white, not your normal brown colour!I'm going to the doctors first thing tomorrow. Has anyone had this before? This is the second time I have noticed this, it happened just before I had my colonoscopy last week so its not due to the colonoscopy it has happened.There was one tiny little trace of brown in the stools, the rest were totally white. It also had a really strange odour, it didn't even smell like a normal bowel movement if that makes any sense?!A very worried sadhatter!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might have a gall bladder problem. The brown color comes from color in the bile that starts off yellow or green and ends up turned brown by the bacteria in the colon.I'm assuming you didn't have a Barium test? Barium is white so looks that way when it comes out.Good thing you are having the doctor check you out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.