Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 weeks ago my daughter was diagnosed with gallstones. The surgeon made her wait over a week but finally removed her gallbladder. In the next week she developed nausea, became dehydrated with pain and went into the ER twice before a gastroeneorologist did an endoscopic sphincterotomy and found she also had pancreatitis. Her blood enzymes were very elevated. Now she has been home again for another 2 weeks but, still having burning, severe pain that passes with gurgling of ?, and diarreah. Her diet is bland and low fat with a little fiber. Her surgeon (who needs lessons in bedside manner) not the enterologist, gave a brochure to his asst. to tell her that she has IBS. Is this some sort of brush off by a doctor who is too busy to actually find the cause of her pain? Or is IBS a side effect of gallbladder/pancreatitis? I have driven 1100 miles to help her out and don't think she is getting proper care. Any thoughts by anyone here to help her out? Should I interfere?

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's really anyone's guess. There are members here who had their gallbladder taken out because of IBS symptoms and that is what they initially check to rule it out....at least with me it did. They did an ultrasound and found my gallbladder to be fine. Some had the gallbladder removed and found IBS was the same or sometimes worse. It could be IBS as well, it is becoming pretty common nowadays. My ex-BIL had pancreatitis and was on an extra strict diet as well. Perhaps her best bet at this point is to start a food journal and try to find possible offenders (for both her IBS and Pancreatitis). It could affect a person up to 3 days later, I believe, but eventually she may find a pattern...like say every time bananas are in her food journal she gets horrible pains within the next day or so (why it is also important to write how you are feeling at every meal...tired, in pain etc.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your advice. I will pass this on right away. I had no idea what courage you sufferers have and how you comfort and support each other on this site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.