Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm 16 and have been trying to do many different diets to get my IBS C and D under control but nothing works. My doctor said that it might not be food because there is no pattern. I dont understand what I should do than. Im trying to stay clear of anxiety meds bc i want to tackle the problem so I dont have to be on them. Any suggestions? Thanks! Liz

·
Registered
581 Posts
When I was your age (I'm 34 now) and had IBS-D problems it was mainly related to stress. I fought alot with my parents (as most teenagers do) and instead of journaling or talking out my feelings I would just brew over them and that's what would make me sick. It took me a really long time (like 10 or 12 years) to figure out that I had a real problem with my relationship with them, and then I was able to move past it and now I no longer get sick when I fight with my mother. We still don't get along, but I journal (huge help) and am able to ###### to a close girlfriend and my husband about what I am feeling.Maybe your IBS isn't so much related to food as it is to the other stress in your life, being 16 is stressfull enough, then to have IBS on top of it. I don't know if this helped at all, but I wanted to tell you how it started for me.

·
Registered
581 Posts
When I was your age (I'm 34 now) and had IBS-D problems it was mainly related to stress. I fought alot with my parents (as most teenagers do) and instead of journaling or talking out my feelings I would just brew over them and that's what would make me sick. It took me a really long time (like 10 or 12 years) to figure out that I had a real problem with my relationship with them, and then I was able to move past it and now I no longer get sick when I fight with my mother. We still don't get along, but I journal (huge help) and am able to ###### to a close girlfriend and my husband about what I am feeling.Maybe your IBS isn't so much related to food as it is to the other stress in your life, being 16 is stressfull enough, then to have IBS on top of it. I don't know if this helped at all, but I wanted to tell you how it started for me.

G

·
LIZ143, I too fought with my parents for 35 years. Finally, a little over one year ago, I sought professional counseling. I have seen my counselor every other week for just over a year. I am happy to say that my counselor has helped me make significant progress with my IBS. While it is not completely gone, it has improved substantially. I think the key that we have focused on is that I came from a family environment where I did not learn how to constructively express my feelings and emotions. Britta mentioned journaling. This has been a tremendous help to me. Don't be afraid to seek the help of a professional counselor. For some, IBS symptoms can be caused by stress and the inability to express your feelings and emotions. A professional counselor can really help. Good Luck!

G

·
LIZ143, I too fought with my parents for 35 years. Finally, a little over one year ago, I sought professional counseling. I have seen my counselor every other week for just over a year. I am happy to say that my counselor has helped me make significant progress with my IBS. While it is not completely gone, it has improved substantially. I think the key that we have focused on is that I came from a family environment where I did not learn how to constructively express my feelings and emotions. Britta mentioned journaling. This has been a tremendous help to me. Don't be afraid to seek the help of a professional counselor. For some, IBS symptoms can be caused by stress and the inability to express your feelings and emotions. A professional counselor can really help. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LIZ:You hit the nail on the head, and why so many people incluidng doctors canot get anywherw ith IBS without the PDR at hand: _____________________________"My doctor said that it might not be food because there is no pattern. I dont understand what I should do than" ____________________________You cannot accurately DISCERN the pattern most of the time, except for true food allergy or "pseudoallergy", which is a comorbidity to IBS not the main dietary-related problem in IBS. Very few practitioners have any expertise in this area as the number of practitioners who do is limited and the amount of information published pales in comparison to most methods as dietary manipulation and food intolerance study is prophyactic medicine. It is no taught widely or well.The underlying agenda is it reduces drug useage. Since this is where the majority of research funding comes from, in the simplest terms, why would this wheel get any grease?But the information is avilable if you know where to look. After 40 years at this I can make some suggestions which are helpful:If you read this book you will understand that trying to isolate dietary problems for patients with IBS using methods designed for food allergy is often difficult and only very modestly effective. You will understand why it is ofetn impossible to discern the pattern. And you will not only understand why but then what your options are to be able to approach the whole problem with maximum effectiveness. best chance of self-directed success!!!�FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903[/URL] Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LIZ:You hit the nail on the head, and why so many people incluidng doctors canot get anywherw ith IBS without the PDR at hand: _____________________________"My doctor said that it might not be food because there is no pattern. I dont understand what I should do than" ____________________________You cannot accurately DISCERN the pattern most of the time, except for true food allergy or "pseudoallergy", which is a comorbidity to IBS not the main dietary-related problem in IBS. Very few practitioners have any expertise in this area as the number of practitioners who do is limited and the amount of information published pales in comparison to most methods as dietary manipulation and food intolerance study is prophyactic medicine. It is no taught widely or well.The underlying agenda is it reduces drug useage. Since this is where the majority of research funding comes from, in the simplest terms, why would this wheel get any grease?But the information is avilable if you know where to look. After 40 years at this I can make some suggestions which are helpful:If you read this book you will understand that trying to isolate dietary problems for patients with IBS using methods designed for food allergy is often difficult and only very modestly effective. You will understand why it is ofetn impossible to discern the pattern. And you will not only understand why but then what your options are to be able to approach the whole problem with maximum effectiveness. best chance of self-directed success!!!�FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...r=2-1/102-64875 08-3420903[/URL] Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sometimes I can eat whatever I want, and when I'm anxious or stressed I can't. Stay away from the meds!!..try some yoga or other relaxation...get lots of exercise! I also stay away from fizzy drinks, anything with high fructose corn syrup, milk and cheese and I've cut back on wheat, corn and sugary foods. We are all different and I have found that my emotions play a huge part in this..journalling is a great idea..as is taking up a sport that involves and focuses the mind like tennis or soccer.[This message has been edited by jane93 (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sometimes I can eat whatever I want, and when I'm anxious or stressed I can't. Stay away from the meds!!..try some yoga or other relaxation...get lots of exercise! I also stay away from fizzy drinks, anything with high fructose corn syrup, milk and cheese and I've cut back on wheat, corn and sugary foods. We are all different and I have found that my emotions play a huge part in this..journalling is a great idea..as is taking up a sport that involves and focuses the mind like tennis or soccer.[This message has been edited by jane93 (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.