Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS C/D. I have been taking Citrucel twice a day for about 2 weeks now. I SWEAR, I am more constipated now than I was before I started taking it!! I know that it is also used to "bulk" stool, and I'm wondering if it's possible for some people to have worse C while taking it? I thought it was supposed to help you go?? Is Metamucil designed differently? Thanks in advance,JK

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
How much water are you drinking? You've got to increase your water intake when taking extra fiber. I drink about 4-5 liters a day. I'm drinking and peeing all day long but I also take alot of fiber supplements including Citrucel.

·
Registered
611 Posts
JK, Citrucel is supposed to make you more regular-- that is, not constipated, but not runny. But a good balance of drinking plenty or water is critical. But you can swing either way-- C or D-- anyway, or so I've found.Regards, Lilymaid (a C/D who takes daily Citrucel.... and is stopped up right now even though she drinks water!!)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Citrucel should, indeed, relieve you. And you should be drinking plenty of water, besides. But also, you're right, Metamucil is a different type of fiber and your body may take to it better. I couldn't hurt to try switching to Metamucil to see if it doesn't work better.Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just it - I do drink a lot of water. I drink all day long at work and spend most of my time peeing in the bathroom! I swear if they gave me a laptop to use in the bathroom, I'd get more work done!
I think I may have to try Metamucil, but if I'm remembering correctly, it tastes significantly worse than Citrucel. Oh well - you gotta do what you gotta do, right?JK

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
JK - I've never had that problem with citrucel. I'm also C/D and if anything, it causes problems with the D. It could jsut be a coincedence that it started when you started the C. I agree trying another type of fiber couldn't hurt. I thin Fibercon is different and it's a pill so flavor isn't an issue. I've used metamucial exactly once and went right back to citrucel because of the texture. I now use the citrucel tabs.good lucknancy

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have been taking metamucil for years, when I went down to the usa I thought I would try the walgreen's brand of methycellulose which is the same ingredient in citrucel. does citrucel totally disappear or is it lumpy because the walgreen's brand is lumpy. Thanks

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
citrucel makes a smooth although thick drink. mot lumpu like metamucil. they also came out with tablets last year. i switched to that since it's easier - wasking out he cup of the fiber was always a problem unless i took it in my kitchen. now I just use the water cup in my bathroom (but make sure to drink a big cup of water with it)nancy

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Some people with c should be careful with fiber and you should talk to your doctor about this, so you don't have a possible obstruction going on.But it can at first also make gas and hence make pain worse, for some it takes up to eight weeks to help and for some it does not seem to help, but it can help most people.I would really talk to your doctor if your not going.

·
Registered
329 Posts
4-5 liters is a lot.. If you are peeing clear urine like 10 times a day, thats a good sign you're overdoing it, and your body is trying to remove the excess.Slacker

·
Registered
611 Posts
JK: I tried taking Metamucil originally but it turns out that my intestines were having an allergic reaction to the psyllium, which is wheat-based (aka natural fiber). I later became wheat-free in my diet, in general. Anyway, I switched to Citrucil and it made a big difference.I noticed that Citrucil is less lumpy. Metamucil tastes more like Tang. Also, I prefer the Citrucil with artificial sweetner (the blue cap) to the one with sugar (orange cap). They also have Citrucil tablets that are easy to break and easy to swallow, though make sure you're taking the right amount. I believe that four Citrucil tablets are equal to one full scoop of Citrucil. The dosage on the tablets says "take two" but if you do the math, one scoop = four tablets.There are also other varieties that have wafers available.Regards, Lilymaid

1 - 12 of 12 Posts