Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by my doctor I have IBS, but everything I read gives different symptoms than what I experience.My pain, bloating (feels like bubbles in my gut, but dont pass any gas) and constant belching is in my upper intestines. I dont have diarrhea. Everything I eat seems to cause problems. Does anyone else have symptoms like these in the upper intestines with IBS ?? I'm confused.I have had all kinds of tests, blood work, endoscopy, colonoscopy, CAT scan with iodine of liver & pancreas. I did have my gallbladder removed several years ago before these problems started.Any help would be appreciated, cause I don't know what to do next. Thanks, Jgirl

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Jgirl,Sorry to hear that you have been feeling lousy, I hope this information might be helpful:A lot of people that developed diarrhea etc after gallbladder surgery were diagnosed as having IBS but it is actually a different problem and is known as 'Bile Salt Diarrhea'. A product called Cholestyramine can usually stop that form of diarrhea.Here are links to a couple of articles about it: http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/bilesaltDiarrhea.html http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/27/1728_60456?[/URL] If you have that checked into and that isn't that then it is likely you have IBS, especially as you have had quite a few other tests to eliminate other possibilities.Though the most common symptoms are usually at least some diarrhea or constipation, there can be a lot of others.Also, having had my gallbladder out a few weeks ago, I have noticed that I seem to get a lot more wind. Not sure if it is related, but guess it could be.I have also noticed that I can not eat peanut butter at all now. Last time I had it the pain was worse than an actual gall attack.My surgeon told me that after my surgery there would be one or two things I could no longer eat, but I would have to find out for myself what they were as everyone finds it to be something different.Do you notice that anything in particular bothers you? Like fatty foods perhaps? My surgeon also told me that after gall surgery some people can eat fatty foods again but others can't.Try keeping a food diary for a couple of weeks and see if there are any specific things that cause problems. I would definately start by eliminating anything fatty.Hope that helps some and you will feel better soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too had no symptoms of IBS. It took me 9 years to finally agree with the doctor. I simply had intense pain in the upper right quadrant. My symptoms have changed over the past two years. Since you've had all the tests and nothing was wrong, the best thing to do is relax. My pain has never gone away -- 11 years of chronic pain. But mind over matter -- I am able to keep it from going out of control by not panicking and accepting the fact that nothing serious or fatal is happening. I wish you the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts