Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this is my first post. I've had IBS(D) for about 3 years but was only diagonosed in November last year. From what I've read of other people's posts, theire diagnosis is usually a process of elimination and IBS is what is likely to be wrong once other things have been checked. I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with IBS right away and gave me a fiber drink and tablets for cramps. These helped for a couple of days but then I was as bad as ever. Also, I've read that IBS shouldnt cause you to wake in the night in pain. Not sure if thats true but occasionally my stomach hurts so bad it wakes me up and I need to go to the toilet pretty quick. Is this true for others. have I maybe been misdiagnosed? I'm only 17 and IBS is really getting me down.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i think some people on the board do wake up in the middle of the night..and there are a few different ways to get your fiber..and you may not have received a good one for D! there's soluble, and insoluble..someone on the board will know which is good for D..i couldnt have any kind when i was really bad
look the board over for awhile..see what other people experience.. maybe try some calcium carbonate..some take it in the form of caltrate.. i take it in the form of tums and it works wonders for me.. there's a thread about it somewhere on here..

·
Registered
515 Posts
i think some people on the board do wake up in the middle of the night..and there are a few different ways to get your fiber..and you may not have received a good one for D! there's soluble, and insoluble..someone on the board will know which is good for D..i couldnt have any kind when i was really bad
look the board over for awhile..see what other people experience.. maybe try some calcium carbonate..some take it in the form of caltrate.. i take it in the form of tums and it works wonders for me.. there's a thread about it somewhere on here..

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
This is how all my doctors want to diagnosis me too. I think age is playing a huge role in it. I was 20 when this started for me, so since I was so young, of course it can't be anything else.
I have had some basic testing though, that I think is important to at least have them. Blood and a stool sample. They can sometimes clue you in, if something else is going on. But really the only way to know for sure is to go through tests like the colonoscopy. Which I've yet to have done myself. I'm 24 now, and since my symptoms haven't changed over the years they don't think I need any further testing. It's a battle. As for waking in the night, I wouldn't say it's rule that you can't wake up from IBS. Sometimes if I eat something that bothers me later in the evening, it will wake me up. But I haven't been woken up during the night since before having my gallbladder out. Gallbladder disease can wake you up a lot at night. With pain, D, nausea and the works. Once I had it out that was the end of my night problems. If you want to know for sure that it's IBS, keep pushing the doctors for further tests. I know how hard it can be, I don't know why they don't always want to help you. If even just to ease your mind.
Anyway, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
This is how all my doctors want to diagnosis me too. I think age is playing a huge role in it. I was 20 when this started for me, so since I was so young, of course it can't be anything else.
I have had some basic testing though, that I think is important to at least have them. Blood and a stool sample. They can sometimes clue you in, if something else is going on. But really the only way to know for sure is to go through tests like the colonoscopy. Which I've yet to have done myself. I'm 24 now, and since my symptoms haven't changed over the years they don't think I need any further testing. It's a battle. As for waking in the night, I wouldn't say it's rule that you can't wake up from IBS. Sometimes if I eat something that bothers me later in the evening, it will wake me up. But I haven't been woken up during the night since before having my gallbladder out. Gallbladder disease can wake you up a lot at night. With pain, D, nausea and the works. Once I had it out that was the end of my night problems. If you want to know for sure that it's IBS, keep pushing the doctors for further tests. I know how hard it can be, I don't know why they don't always want to help you. If even just to ease your mind.
Anyway, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm fairly certain the Rome II diagnostic criteria allow for a diagnosis based only on patient symptoms so long as there are no major indications such as bloody stool or fever accompanying bowel movements that might denote an illness other than IBS. In my case, because my family has a history of colorectal cancer (my grandfather had died from it a year before my symptoms became their worst), the doctor ordered a colonscopy for me. I was only 21 at the time, but the doctor's philosphophy was better safe than sorry.So I don't think it too unusual that your doctor diagnosed you with IBS without running many tests, especially if you had no family prior history or mysterious symptoms. IBS can be a diagnosis of elimination if the patient presents symptoms that could be attributed to more severe illnesses such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease, in which case the doctor is forced to run multiple tests to make a proper diagnosis.As far as waking up and having to go, it's only happened to me once and generally speaking most IBS sufferers don't have this. Bring it up with your doctor if it keeps happening because it might indicate something other than IBS.-- Jared

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm fairly certain the Rome II diagnostic criteria allow for a diagnosis based only on patient symptoms so long as there are no major indications such as bloody stool or fever accompanying bowel movements that might denote an illness other than IBS. In my case, because my family has a history of colorectal cancer (my grandfather had died from it a year before my symptoms became their worst), the doctor ordered a colonscopy for me. I was only 21 at the time, but the doctor's philosphophy was better safe than sorry.So I don't think it too unusual that your doctor diagnosed you with IBS without running many tests, especially if you had no family prior history or mysterious symptoms. IBS can be a diagnosis of elimination if the patient presents symptoms that could be attributed to more severe illnesses such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease, in which case the doctor is forced to run multiple tests to make a proper diagnosis.As far as waking up and having to go, it's only happened to me once and generally speaking most IBS sufferers don't have this. Bring it up with your doctor if it keeps happening because it might indicate something other than IBS.-- Jared

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
GERD pain has awakened me in the middle of the night but IBS pain has never done that. IBS pain has PREVENTED me from falling asleep, but thank goodness once I actually get to sleep I don't normally feel the IBS.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
GERD pain has awakened me in the middle of the night but IBS pain has never done that. IBS pain has PREVENTED me from falling asleep, but thank goodness once I actually get to sleep I don't normally feel the IBS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't yet been dio,I'v had a few test but they all come back neg. This has been on going for a number of years now.With the past few years becoming worse.I guess Iv just accepted that this is how things are. I was never really bothered by cramps that is not untill lately, and several late night trips to the john are becoming freq.I'v found that the Doc's tend to lean towards emotional trouble as a cause I don't agree with that,and I,m not going on anti Depress.I'm not depressed, tired but not depressed I'v come across a lot of info on this sight.Keep trying different things one will most likely give you some relief.Keep reading

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't yet been dio,I'v had a few test but they all come back neg. This has been on going for a number of years now.With the past few years becoming worse.I guess Iv just accepted that this is how things are. I was never really bothered by cramps that is not untill lately, and several late night trips to the john are becoming freq.I'v found that the Doc's tend to lean towards emotional trouble as a cause I don't agree with that,and I,m not going on anti Depress.I'm not depressed, tired but not depressed I'v come across a lot of info on this sight.Keep trying different things one will most likely give you some relief.Keep reading

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've had IBS since I was 14 (1968) which wasn't definitively diagnosed until 1995.When I was D, the cramps would, too, wake me up at night. I always had waves of cramps preceding bms which gradually turned to worse and worse D.Hope this helps,Joan

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've had IBS since I was 14 (1968) which wasn't definitively diagnosed until 1995.When I was D, the cramps would, too, wake me up at night. I always had waves of cramps preceding bms which gradually turned to worse and worse D.Hope this helps,Joan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!
Having IBS has really affected my confidence, I rarely go out anymore and I can see myself becoming distant from my friends. I've started taking calcium supplements which I'm praying give me some relief. My main antagonist was carbonated drinks, which I gave up several weeks ago and although I initially had no problems, they slowly started again and almost I'm as bad as I ever was. (worse if I do have any soft drinks)
ALso i have another question: how much does diet affect IBS? My doctor immediately gave me an appointment for a dietician who then just tried to replace my food with healthier options rather than try and spot something which could cause D. I know certain foods can trigger IBS but I'm not sure what.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!
Having IBS has really affected my confidence, I rarely go out anymore and I can see myself becoming distant from my friends. I've started taking calcium supplements which I'm praying give me some relief. My main antagonist was carbonated drinks, which I gave up several weeks ago and although I initially had no problems, they slowly started again and almost I'm as bad as I ever was. (worse if I do have any soft drinks)
ALso i have another question: how much does diet affect IBS? My doctor immediately gave me an appointment for a dietician who then just tried to replace my food with healthier options rather than try and spot something which could cause D. I know certain foods can trigger IBS but I'm not sure what.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.