Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS D for about a year now. If I'm going someplace in the morning I won't eat anything after 6PM the night before. If I do I will have about 6 BMs before I can leave the house in the AM. When I get home and eat something the cramping will start about an hour later and D will occur. Is that the food I just ate an hour earlier? If so....how can it travel all that way in such a short amount of time?Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've wondered the same thing myself, Rusty. I went for lunch at the Claim Jumper, and ate some creamed spinach ( spinach is one of my trigger foods, but it usually takes until the next morning to effect me). This time though, I left the restaurant, and about a half hour later, I had bad D. I thought it took longer than that to go through the system
. It also happened one day when I went out for pizza. I drank more than my usual amount of coca cola (another trigger for me). I wasn't even out of the restaurant yet when the D hit
. I think people with IBS may have a more sensitive digestive track than other people. I carry Imodium wherever I go, because I've gotten D in some really inconvenient places
. If you're concerned about getting an attack of D when you're out, I'd suggest taking something before you leave the house as a precaution

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have also wondered the same thing, how does it come out so soon. And what makes me wonder more, is that my problem isn't D all of the time, just dozens of pellets. (if you have an abbreviation for pellets, please let me know).Now what happens if I/we just drink water for say three days, then what would happen. I don't mean it to be a stupid question, but would we have "normal" D from not eating, or what?? I don't understand.Jadair

·
Registered
78 Posts
I noticed the same thing..once I was sick (w/ flu) and I remembered I had some spaghetti for dinner. I DID NOT have D afterward for some odd reason but I did throw it up HOURS later at 1am...all the spaghetti and then I thought well theres NO WAY then if that spaghetti stayed that long in my stomach that when I eat the food I am eating is coming out. It must trigger allthe BEFORE food to come out or seomthing.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ok...The diarrhea you have right after eating is almost NEVER the food you just ate coming out.Eating stimulates a reflex in the colon. When your stomach fills up the colon moves the stuff in it along to make room for new food. Typically it takes at least 16-18 hours for it to get to your rectum from your mouth and can take as many as 72 hours. (some people are outside the normal range, but not most IBSers).In IBSers the gastrocolic reflex is often exagerated. So instead of just moving things a few inches along the colon may move things along a bunch and that leads to not fully processed stool getting into the rectum and liquid in the rectum tends to be an urgent get rid of it now experience.The colon is also normally much more active right after you get up in the morning. If you stick a probe in a TOTALLY NORMAL person the colon is 3X more active in the morning after you get up then when you were asleep.Some people with IBS also seem to over-react to this normal 24 hours cycle as well.These to over-reactions (gastrocolic and circadian) probably explains why most people with IBS-D seem to have symptoms either in the morning after they get up, or after meals, or both.K.PS if you were actually pooping out what you just ate 30 minutes ago on a very regular basis you would be exceeding malnourished and very ill (anemic suffering from multiple vitamin deficiencies dropping weight rapidly and these are thigns taht are not typical of IBS....transit through the stomach and small intestine which takes several hours is normal....it is just how stuff gets moved through the colon that is the problem and the ONLY thing your colon does with the food is remove the water from it so the stool is solid rather than liquid)

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I had a SBFT I had barium in my colon in less than 10 minutes. I was pooping barium before I got out of the clinic. I also pass pills whole, barely changed. This is pretty abnormal. It even impressed all the doctors and X ray techs. I have the fastest gut in the west. So I guess that it is possible to poop what you just ate. You should see the after effects of doritos. They call this rapid transit. I am vitamin deficient, especially fat soluables like vitamin A.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies...kmottus explained it so even I could understand it LOL. It does make sense.Would I trade D for C? ......don't know because I never have C.Rusty8

·
Registered
894 Posts
My nutritionist said that the fact that you eat causes bile to be taken from the gall bladder and passed into the gut to help digest the food. In ibs, the gall bladder doesnt regulate how quickly or how much bile it sends--it dumps the whole load! Then your gut reacts to too much bile and tries to get rid of it, hence the d. That's why the colestid works for some people and why people get ibs after having the gall bladder removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.