Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard many comments on leaky gut.What it is exactly?Is it a real condition?I know the naturopath use the term leaky gut,candida freely to make more money...yeah near the fraud.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
AFAIK there is some legitamate times when these conditions do exist, but they are not the reason for symptoms in most people that get "diagnosed" with these thingshttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0980&query_hl=1 Leaky gut in Crohn's patients and how that is measured.Systemic Candida is seen in people with AIDS or other immunocompromised situations.Various things that can happen in specific populations get used to explain why people who are otherwise healthy don't feel super-duper really healthy everything great great great.Hypoglycemia is one that was used for awhile. Once one gets played out they move on to the next explaination of why someone doesn't feel totally great all the time. They seem to like to use something that can happen to someone in some situations, rather than make up something that never happens to anyone ever (like making up a new bug that never existed and never will, much better to use one that does exist and blame it)http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/fad.html discusses this phenomenon of over diagnosing legit problems where not applicable.K.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
"Results of several studies suggest that symptoms in postinfective IBS are generated or maintained by immune mechanisms. Increased intraepithelial lymphocytes (IEL) and lamina propria lymphocytes, together with elevated numbers of enteroendocrine cells, were found in patients with postinfectious IBS, following documented infectious enteritis. These changes in mucosa persisted for at least 1 year and were accompanied by increased mucosal permeability [35]. "[35]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11076879&query_hl=20Increased mucosal permeability is leaky gut

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Just most of the alt med types that use "leaky gut" and "candida" are not in anyway doing tests for these problems and at least in some cases will diagnose everyone that walks in the door with these problems as they attribute every vague symptom every human on the planet has to these issues.So while there are legit uses of these sorts of things, they are ALSO commonly used as FAD diagnosis.I doubt the naturopath actually does the medical tests needed to determine intestinal permeability. They usually do not have hospital privledges that would allow them to order the test.K.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I wasn't disagreeing wwith you Kath M. I just added to the info you gave that in some cases there is increased gut permeability, For anyone who is interested the test is assessing the lactulose/mannitol ratio.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It read that you might be disagreeing with me, your intent was not clear to me, so I just wanted to make sure I was clear in what I was saying. It is very hard to read someone's intent (at least for me) when they are just quoting something from somewhere else without putting it into context of what purpose they have for quoting the material.Also, please use my current screen name when replying to me, I know I used the other one for so long, but I really would prefer people to use what I post under now, thanks.K.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I thought the abstract if anyone cared to read it gave the context. It talks about the test used for increased gut permeability. I also thought you gavee the context for it. I did't want to repeat what you said. Silly me. I will give the full context for my reply even if it means repeating everything some one has said. As for your name I will edit it out. Please excuse me if I do it again but I have called you by your previous name for 4 uyears and it is a bit difficult to change gears especially when one is trying to concentrate on what one is trying to say.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It was just difficult to figure out your point for posting that.I'm not suggesting seriously long naratives for anything, but a "I found this article and I'm posting it because..."Can go a long way to making it easier to see if the point is to argue, clarify, agree with, or whatever.K.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK,i know in fRANCE they do CANDIDA TEST IN HOSPITALS FOR THE BOWEL (APPARENTLY) AND PANCREATIC ENZYMS TEST.Wow.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.