Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to a regular family doctor tommarow, I stoped going to my Gastro because just put me through so many tests and everyone had the same result. Everytime the test was over he said i probaly just have ibs but he still kept putting me threw new ones. But anyways, im going to the doctor tommarow to see if he can acutally put me on somthing to help me. Ive been takeing calcium for about 8 months now and it has helped a lot! but i still get cramps everyday and i get D when im nervous or if i eat somthing bad. Im 17 years old and cyber schooled because i cant go to regular school due to my ibs.Does anyone have success with lomotil? Is it common? and how much does it cost? I was doing research on motofen and that is expensive, so i figured id maybe try lomotil.please help me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi brittany. Im really not sure what the cost is as my insurance pays all but 10.00. Sometimes if you ask the doctor he can give you samples, if he has some. Lomotil is pretty new to me, but it seems to be working well.I have been taking the calcium for a couple years, and it work great. Have you considered uping the dosage? Im sure you have probably read Lnapes calcium info, if not please do! I have found the same problem with gastro docs. Its just test, test test. I think ill give up on them. well, i wish you luck, please keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I take calcium three times dayly, i take it with breakfast, at noon, and then before bed time. My doctor told me not to take it more than three times a day because it can actually be bad to take too much calcium. I forgot to mention i also take a daily probiotic by digestive advantage, im not sure if its doing anything or not really. how often do you take lomotil? was it a regular doctor that prescribed it to you?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I feel like I talk about Imodium all the time, but I really think it works better than Lomotil. And I can also get it whenever I need it. I have some lomotil because a family member prescribed it for me when I was in a really low point, and I also had some my mom's dr gave her a long time ago for a temporary situation. *anyway*, my dr actually wouldn't prescribe Lomotil for me. I called to leave a message with a nurse to ask the dr if he could call a prescription in because I had tried some and liked it, but she said "Lomotil is for diahhrea, not IBS." Umm....hello? IBS gives me D! But after I couldn't it from them, I just started taking Imodium and honestly it works a lot better for me than Lomotil did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there! My primary doctor gave me a prescription for lomotil, but then I am having a very bad flare up of my IBS D. I know that a lot of people take the immodium and it works for them. There is just something in it that is too strong for me. I know you can take too much calcium and it will give you C. I take it 2 times a day. You said you take it 3 times, that sounds like plenty too me. I also take digestive advantage, have been for about a year. It helps me a lot. Do you know what your trigger foods are? We all have them, but sometimes really hard to figure them out. Have you tried any over the counter anti diarrheal pills? There are a lot of them and relatively inexpensive. Some of my trigger foods are, popcorn, corn, and whole nuts, because they are hard to digest foods. Well I hope your regular doctor has some answers for you. I know the people here help whenever they can. Just remember that what works for one, may not work for all, its trial and error. Can be very frustrating, so keep in touch, and good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i take immodium a lot and it is too strong for me.. and when it wears off it gives me terrible cramps and D or it constipates me soo bad. A lot of my D is from anxiety. my trigger foods are acidy things, greasy things, and veggies and fruits. i just need somthing that i can take that will make me go normal weather im anxious or not..how much does a lotomil prescription cost?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.