Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 54 year old man with IBS. The last 3 months have been particularly aweful. I have lost a lot of weight and am more depressed than ever. My new gi doctor started me on Lotronex two weeks ago and I have experienced some relief of pain but the d continues. Does Lotronex take some time to become effective or is this it? Do men and women who use it still monitor their diets carefully?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Len, I'm a lotronex user for a whole week in a half now. I'm a female. I find that I'm just now starting to notice the change in my bowel habits since I started taking this drug. Meaning that my D is from 4-5 times daily being reduced to maybe 2-3 and some days nothing at all. It just depends on how bad your symtoms are. Diet may have something to do with ibs, but for the most part my symtoms are mainly triggered my high amounts of stress that send me to the bathroom for hours. I do watch my diet and try to eat more healthy but did some research and ibs is mainly the mind-gut reaction. But "different strokes for different folks!" Mine is not triggered by foods but how I react to situations. But quite often after I eat I'm in the bathroom. You'll like lotronex and you'll be thanking your doc for it because now I feel like I could walk the mall with hubby and not have to worry about where's the bathroom! Hope it works for you!Brandi

·
Registered
176 Posts
Len~~I'm female and have been taking Lotronex for three months. This new medicine has been a godsend for me, and I've improved at least 80-90%. It's given me back a more normal lifestyle. I do consistently monitor my diet and still stay away from foods which may cause a flare-up (greasy, spicy). So far, so good!My doctor advised me to take this medication on a "needed" basis, not necessarily everyday. Therefore, I take one pill after breakfast a few days a week. Otherwise, I find the constipation side effect sets in.BTW, I noticed a difference in my IBS-D on the first day I took Lotronex...I think I'm very lucky and hope you will experience great success also with this pill!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lotronex has made a big difference to me. I have had IBS for 25+ years and the is the best thing to come along.I have found that it's effectiveness for me increases with the length of time I take it. I have been taking it 2 or 3 months.I still can not tolerate trigger foods very well and particularly stressful situations still have a mild effect upon me. So I believe one still has to be careful about diet and controlling stress.My dosage is one a day in the morning. When things are particularly stressful I also take one at night and this helps me.I wish you luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.