Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to take calcum everyday for osteoporosis (1500 mg daily). If I have a loose stool day I take the Caltrate, but then this constipates me. So is there a calcium, other than calcum carbonate that is better for C days? BTW I can't drink milk--very lactose intolorant.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I don't know of any calcium that is 'less' constipating, but I think taking magnesium with your calcium would help. I'm a C and take magnesium for that.Ty

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might try taking calcium that has magnesium in the supplement, or adding a magnesium supplement separately.Very often antacids will combine the two as calcium constipates and magnesium loosens and the mixure tends to be better tolerated by more people.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.And from the as if IBS isn't enough of a worry file...from New Scientist's Feedback column: photographed on the door of a ladies' loo in the Sequoia National Park in California by reader Liz Masterman: "Please keep door closed to discourage bears from entering."

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Caltrate is Calcium Carbonate and is constipating. However Calcium Citrate is not suppose to be constipating. Citracel is a good brand of Calcium Citrate to try.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
There are calcium supplements that have a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. That means it may have 333 mg of calcium and 167 mg of magnesium for example. It would be hard to figure out how to get a dose that would keep you from having diarrhea with the calcium and magnesium supplement. If diarrhea has been your major problem you maybe could rotate calcium with out magnesium on even days and calcium with the 2 to 1 ratio on odd days and see how that works. If you feel you are getting constipated use the calcium and magnesium supplement but this is going to be really hard to handel.Linda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts