Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there currently any new drugs to treat ibs, a friend of mine heard that there was, but didn't know the name of it ????????????????????

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Lotronex was approved but then pulled by the manufacturer, it may be back. (Diarrhea predominate IBS only)Zelnorm is at the tail end of the approval process, but there are some glitches which may or may not be resolved to the FDA's satisfaction. It has been approved in Mexico and Switzerland. (Constipation predominate IBS)On a fairly regular basis some new dietary supplement for IBS comes out. Some people in hearing about one of these may think it is a new drug vs a new dietary supplement/herbal mixture.Several drugs are further back in the pipeline and may or may not be available in the next 3-10 years.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Lotronex was approved but then pulled by the manufacturer, it may be back. (Diarrhea predominate IBS only)Zelnorm is at the tail end of the approval process, but there are some glitches which may or may not be resolved to the FDA's satisfaction. It has been approved in Mexico and Switzerland. (Constipation predominate IBS)On a fairly regular basis some new dietary supplement for IBS comes out. Some people in hearing about one of these may think it is a new drug vs a new dietary supplement/herbal mixture.Several drugs are further back in the pipeline and may or may not be available in the next 3-10 years.K.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kmottus- I read recently that a drug called Colazal had been approved for ulcerative colitis. Anyone know if it's any good for IBS-D? Bill

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kmottus- I read recently that a drug called Colazal had been approved for ulcerative colitis. Anyone know if it's any good for IBS-D? Bill

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
There are tests for Cilansetron for IBS - D going on right now. It is not available yet & probably won't be for a long time.I take Remeron for IBS D & it has worked wonderfully.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
There are tests for Cilansetron for IBS - D going on right now. It is not available yet & probably won't be for a long time.I take Remeron for IBS D & it has worked wonderfully.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Probably not.It is an anti-inflamatory. It keeps the immune system from making the ulcers.Clearing up the inflamation and ulcers in IBD's like Crohn's and UC is what clears up the symptoms (other than any additional functional problems the particular individual may have).In IBS you don't get an ulcerated colon so I expect that it will not help IBS, like most of the drugs for UC which are not applicable to IBS because they address the autoimmune problem.It looks like it has serious liver side effects so using it for IBS would be pretty inappropriate. Using it to prevent someone from bleeding all the time may make the risk worth the benefit, but not for a functional disorder.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Probably not.It is an anti-inflamatory. It keeps the immune system from making the ulcers.Clearing up the inflamation and ulcers in IBD's like Crohn's and UC is what clears up the symptoms (other than any additional functional problems the particular individual may have).In IBS you don't get an ulcerated colon so I expect that it will not help IBS, like most of the drugs for UC which are not applicable to IBS because they address the autoimmune problem.It looks like it has serious liver side effects so using it for IBS would be pretty inappropriate. Using it to prevent someone from bleeding all the time may make the risk worth the benefit, but not for a functional disorder.K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts