Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been off of work since March from IBS. I was first diagnosed with it late Sept. So, all that time in between was wasted on test after test, which of course all were normal. I'm now enrolled in a research study program that is not working-I'm not getting any better and my doctor wants me to keep trying this research drug-I want to stop. He said it will take time to work. The worst part is, is that it could be placebo.I'm worried that I'm never going to get back to work, pretty soon it will be a whole year! Is there anyone else out there that is not able to work at their job-actually being disabled. I plan to go back as soon as I can be more comfortable, but until then I can't even think about it. It's hard enough to even leave my own house. I've got severe abdominal pains, nausea, vommitting, dizziness, fatigue, constipation, bloating, and lately migraines.Thanks for listening. I just need to know if there is someone like me.Shelley

G

·
Dear Shelley, I have has IBS since last February. I missed almost the entire second semester of my junior year of high school from this. I quit my part-time job also. Over the summer, I began to feel better, but now I feel awful again. I do not make it to school most days. And I am on a leave-of-absence from my part-time job that I just got in August. Some days I can function through it, some days I have to stay in bed and wait it out. I am so scared that next year I might no be able to go away to college or even go at all. You are not alone. This bulletin board really has helped me realize how caring some people are and also that I am not alone with this illness. Where are you going to this study? I wanted to be a part of an IBS study at UCLA, but I am only 17 so they would not let me. I see pediatric pain doctors at UCLA and a gastro in Orange County, CA. I hope you are doing alright.Lindsey

G

·
Hi Shelley. I feel for you. I don't suffer from those kind of severe symptoms, although I had some serious dizziness, fatigue, and nausea when I took Bentyl for awhile. I haven't taken it for at least a year now. It really didn't help, and it gave me the above side effects. And working out of my home is a HUGE COMFORT! The time that I did work in an office while having ibs was pretty difficult. Good luck and I hope you make it back to work soon
. Ray B.

G

·
My husband, Tim, has all of your symptoms except for the abdominal pain. At least he never complains about that. He wakes almost every day knowing that his BM will make his completely nauseous. Sometimes it's enough to make him throw up and this happens after each BM. Other times he can get through the "wave" of nausea by taking hot showers and smoking mj, which does relieve the nausea most of the time.He has had this for about 2.5 years and was on disability and ended up being let go from a previous job. His disability lasted for about 3 months. It was really messed up because the GIs couldn't diagnose him, so he was sent to a counselor who diagnosed him with conversion disorder. This was totally bunk and NOT accurate. Anyhoo, when the EDD psych saw him to discuss permanent disability, he evaluated Tim and told him nothing was wrong with him. So, he had no choice but to buck up and start looking for a job.At that time he cut out alcohol and started taking high potency vitamins. He was symptom free for 3 whole months! (can you just imagine)....Well, that was from 5/97-8/97 and the symptoms have been back ever since. And, we still do not have a diagnosis. That's why I am here....forever searching for answers. How many times on an average would you say you get sick (vomit)? Do you ever get to the point where you have to be taken to ER to be rehydrated via IV. This has happened to Tim about 4 times total, and 2 of those times have been within the last 2 months! Ouch. I hope you and I both find some answers here. It seems like there are a lot of great people here so I am sure we will at least find support!Take care & feel betterAmey

G

·
Amey:Have you guys taken a complete evaluation of his environment vs yours? Is he using different/more vitamins? Foods you don't eat that he does? Has he had the usual GI workups, such as barium swallow, barium enema, sigmoidoscopy? Is he seeing a GI doc, or just an MD and a shrink? Have the docs tried any anti-nausea drugs? Has he tried any of the OTC anti-nausea drugs?bob

G

·
Shelley, that pretty much sums up how I feel too. I feel bloated, constipated, crampy, gassy, headaches, low back ache, "barfy" but not vomiting and overall just plain lousy!All tests show things are basically IBS with Diverticulosis (hernias) in the colon that are not presently infected. Now what?I'm on a new prescription - Luvox for anxiety and Clindinium (for spasms). I have to use suppositories to go potty, take Citricul daily and Milk of Magnesia every other day and still - feel horrible. I am trying to figure out what to eat or not to eat. Basically I'm finding out that NOT eating is better and I'm drinking ALOT of water. I know how frustrated you feel. I have been struggling with this for a long time and really want to do something more productive with my life besides spend it either in the bathroom or in bed in pain! I am a full-time at home mom but my kids are now l0 and l5 and I feel the need to get out in the world and do something FOR ME! I get so frustrated as my IBS has affected my entire life in terms of not going on vacations, getting a job, etc. It's the pits! I'd give just about anything to feel half way normal. There seems to be no "sure cure" even working with a gastroenterologist.I get very depressed and my family sick of hearing about my bowels! (ME TOO!) I am thankful for the discussion board to share with other people as you all here understand and feel as I do. Shelley, don't feel alone.Just keep trying different things - that's my approach. If you come across anything that is working for you please share it!!Thanks and take care. Chloe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replying to my post everyone. It's good to know that there are people out there who are suffering like me. Though, I wish that none of us had to suffer.I've been taken off the research study program. It wasn't doing any good and I was suffering from migraines,(more so than usual),headaches were one of the side effects from this medication. My Dr. has put me on Elavil (25mgs. at bedtime). I can't really say I notice a difference in my symptoms. All I know for sure is that now I'm very drowsy. If it does work, I don't know if it's worth it if I'm feeling like a zombie all day. It's just another added problem!Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a cure for IBS this Christmas?Take care everyone and try to have a good holiday season.Shelley

G

·
Dear Bob-Thanks for putting up a post about Tim. He has had almost all the GI tests done, over the course of his illness. He has had colonscopies, endoscopies, lower & upper GIs w/follow throughs, cat scan of abdomen and an MRI of his brain, and blood work. They have not found anything that they feel is causing his nausea/vomiting. He got sick today after feeling pretty good since the 21st. As for the doctors...well, Tim has seen 4 different GIs and he has a general practioner who's really nice, but admits he has no idea of what is happening. So, Tim is now being referred to a nuerologist. Have you heard of Dr. Andrew Weil? Well, we have his book and plan on starting this program he has called 8 weeks to optimum health. Currently, we don't really eat very well, take vitmains or exercise. Pretty terrible, huh? But, we are going to change that. So, I believe those are the answers to your question- I did post my own topic on the board "chronic nausea & vomiting" but no one has responded. After reading this board I realize there are a lot of folks way worse off than Tim, but I still wish we AT LEAST knew what was wrong.

G

·
Shelley,Hi I too am in a study and have not seen any results they are treating me with behavorial therapy..I work for myself now, because in 25 years with IBS I couldn't hold a job... I get bad stomach pains and then diarrhea..Had to call in sick too many times....Hope you feel better in the New Year.------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts