Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been spending $89.00 a month for Experience by Awareness.Does anyone know of a product that works just as good for constipation and costs a lot less?A bottle of Experience costs $39.95 for 90 capsules.I would love any advice on other remedies that work. :love:

·
Registered
36 Posts
YES! I use Traditional Medicinals Smooth Move Tea and it works wonderful. It usually takes about 5 or 6 hours to work and if I am really constipated then I may have to take it 3 times a day. You can get at some grocery and most healthfood stores. Check thier store finder on their website http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/ I use that one and thier Echinacea tea also, have had great results with both.I also use the probiotics Culturelle and Florastor and am going to start using good fat suppliments like Omega 3 etc because I notice i feel much better when I have more good fat in my diet. Try it and good luck!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the ingredients of smooth move and it has senna in it.That could become habit forming.I used to drink senna tea and it lead me to a 7 year laxative dependency problem.Be careful with senna!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I take prunes, preferably pitted!From the supermarket or health food store.Also, find canned not real apricots dothe trick.Also have had figs.They say prune juice really works well butI am d. and scared to try that.O

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
StephanieNL has responded well to the 1/3 prune juice 2/3 grape juice beverage protocol copmbined with the equivalent of (4) wehole fruits a day (pectin fruits)dietary equivalent adjusted to her miniscule body size (4 apples a day would probably explode her but one apple and one pear or one or the other plus a cup of grapes split dose etc etc) ...of plus a salad with every dinner. Her virtual pathologic constipation has been no problem since I sarted her on this and got MommyNL to FOLLOW IT. The best the pediatricians, of course, offered which was much easier for MommyNL (and others I am sure) was to just dose her with mineral oil. Thats fine episodically but this was not just an occassional bout.Now for adults that want a supplement which can help but is less expensive, this has been used in Europe for over 40 years and we have found few constipated people who have returned it for not helping: http://www.leapallergy.com/products1.htm Seems to help with GERD and people with no gall bladder as well.MNL

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One of the ingredients (and one that may be helpful with IBSers that fiber helps) is Psyllium.Psyllium husks can often be bought in bulk at many health food type stores and is what is in metamucil. It is a common fiber, and can usually be found cheaply.You can also often buy fennel seeds in bulk and many people make a tea out of them to help with gas. So that you can probably do yourself cheaply.Solomon Seal and Rhubarb may also be available at a health food store as well.Whether the combo would end up being cheaper than taking the pills. I dunno.K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.