Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, here is my situation. Ever since I was little as long as I can remember, I never liked to do #2 in public places. When I was a junior in highschool I had my first "attack" in public. It was on new years eve and there were no bathrooms around, I held it painfully for 30 minutes searching for a bathroom, but could not find one. It eventually went away (Boy, I wish I could remember how I did that) But anyway I had another attack a coiuple of months later. After these two public incidents I have always searched for a bathroom or been scared of going out in public due to this. However, I have only had a couple of public incidents, and in fact I believe these are caused by myself worrying about it. I went to a gastro in highschool (about 3 years ago) and he told me I had IBS. Nerves set it off, but I think I also pshche myself into it. I actually believe it is all in my head. Is there any way to convince myself this isn't right. That I am normal? I do think that I have a weak stomach, or possibly IBS flare ups. What do yall think. Thank you so much for any advice, this site is a life saver. TEX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yepp, it is possible to have a mild case of IBS. My IBS is mild. But, I also have have Crohn's disease as well as IBS.------------------Jennifer L(Canadian Crohn's Message Board)www.insidetheweb.com/mbs.cgi/mb330438

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely, I'll have mild or very mild IBS for a few weeks then maybe a few bad days and then mild again. To me mild or a good day is going normally once or twice and being able to be out and forget about it. It's hard to pin point. Sometimes when I eat out I tell myself I'm going to pay tomorrow for eating this and tomorrow comes and I'm fine and other times I can't think of anything I ate which might set it off and I have my "bad day" which for me can be D or even C with spasms or just feeling like I have to go all the time. There are no rules with this IBS thing at all. I suggest the book that is offered on this web site by Dr. Salt - Mind, Body, Gut connection & IBS - it clearly explains all our symptoms and that we are definetly not just NUTS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tex,I too suffer from IBS due to a few incidents where I couldn't find the toilet and now three years later I still obsess about having a toilet near by at all times.I too suffer from anxiety and panic attacks due to my IBS. Now my IBS is getting slightly better but my anxiety/panic over it is still as chronic as ever!!!!Anyway take care,Rachel

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had to quit work because of the anxiety involed in the commute in (Metro Detroit, crappy traffic flow, road commission morons). I had had several bad accidents (no bathroom, stuck in traffic, pooping in front seat) and was then so mentally screwed up that I couldn't force myself into the car because it would automatically bring on an attack. I went to a psychiatrist and he perscribed paxil for the anxiety. I now still have some bad D attacks but not becasue of panic, they are all now directly related to food or engagement (new in-laws, EEK!) stress and stuff like that.I suggest asking your gastro for a mild anti anxiety drug, I only take 5mg of paxil, that is the lowest dose available (10 mg) cut in half. I feel a million times better.britta

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same problem for 10-15 years before I discovered that all my IBS problems were anxiety related.Since seeing a Psychiatrist who has put me on Klonopin (for anxiety and Panic disorder), my IBS has diminished to almost nothing.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh yeah diffenetly. Alot of my attacks are simply brought on by myself. I have this fear of sitting in the car and waiting for someone. Like for example my hubby will go run it to the bank, or ATM for that matter. And as soon as he leaves the thoughts start. "What if it happened now?" And BANG!! my stomach starts to hurt. Just saturday this happened and I got out of the car and I was fine. Wierd stuff.I can be fine all day, but the second we go somewhere it hits. I know this is all in my head. Now the hard part is controling my thoughts. I'm doing much better I must say. Before I couldn't go down the street in the car without having a panic attack and rushing back. It literally kept me in my house. Now I can go places, even travel. But I'm using the Immodium as a crutch. Today I didn't. We went somewhere and I didn't take it. I said the heck with it, what happens happens. And I was FINE!! I just wish every day could be that easy. But I honestly think someday I will get this thing under control. Jennifer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm with you all. I was always leaving workearly a few years ago with bad attacks. it got better after i changed my diet and had my gallbldder removed. now i have mild attackswhich I think is brought on by anxiety. every time I'm left alone at my job where i can't be left alone or know I can't escape to a bathroom easily I feel an attack come on and then its goes away when I feel the situation under control.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was suffering from the same problem too. Used to have anxiety attacks everyday travelling on the train to work. Then I went for a holiday, came back, and somewhere never got the attacks anymore. At the same time, the IBS seems to have taken a back seat too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I guess I have to be different. I'm more like IBS-C than anything. I have 45-60 minute commute each way (with NJ traffic) yet some of my worst days are weekends. And I'm usually real bad on vacations (if I ever get to go on them). Seems like I get out-of-routine on those days, so I guess you could relate that to some mind-body connection. Anyhow, I find my best way to "manage" my problems are to keep a routine. Good luck with your efforts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts