Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if what I have is constipation but it feels like it. I go in daily cycles, a good day with feeling of complete large movements, then a few days of having to strain even though my stool is soft, it is still agood amount but I know it is not all and the rest of the day is bloated and uncomfortable and the feeling I need to go again but don't. I take mineral oil, metamucil,prune juice, high fiber foods and 2 gallons of water. I don't enjoy life or eating, I am so afraid of meats, cheese or any of the foods I use to enjoy for fear of becoming constipated. I had a hemroidectomy last summer and never want to go through that again. I have been thinking of taking Miralax but do I need it??? It sure feels like it at least 4-5 days a week. If I do start it should I stop the other things I do? I am sick of beans, fiber one, and fruit. Any help would be appreciated. I would love to just take somrthing like Miralax and eat like a normal person.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Going daily with soft stool is not constipation.You can have incomplete evacuation, bloating, and other discomforts with any stool consistency.If your stool is hard, dry and hard to pass especially when you only go a few times a week that is constipation.Stuffing yourself with more and more fiber and other stool softening foods will not deal with the discomfort. May make it worse.If you strain with soft stools you may need to have your pelvic floor tested to see if you need biofeedback so you actually relax those muscles when you are supposed to.Being so anxious you will be constipated that you cannot eat a normal healthy diet is a good sign you need to have your anxiety levels evaluated and treated. That anxiety will make every symptom much worse and more uncomfortable than usual (and may make even normal sensations seem unbearable).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Kathleen, all my drs. has said IBS, rectal dr, gastrologist, as well as medical doctor. I am to go to gastro dr on Tues. and my regular dr for yearly blood work on Wed. This all started a year ago after having 2 nerve blocks for low back pain. I had the hemroidectomy because I thought it was the internal hems that was causing this, now I am not so sure. When you say anxiety levels, what do you mean? Is there a medication for it? I do believe I have anxiety because I dread each morning fearing how my bms are going to be. I have developed depression from this. Do you have any suggestions on how to adapt my diet where I won't cause shock to my body as I eat less fiber?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Count out how many grams of fiber you eat now. Try cutting back 2-5 grams a day and stay at the level for 3-5 days and see what your symptoms are. I said anxiety because your post sounded anxious about your symptoms and it really doesn't matter if you are anxious or depressed for "some good reason" it does the same thing to your body. Doesn't matter if you are stressed out because the lion is chasing you down or you are just stressed out for no apparent reason. It is still the same hormones and and physical stress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply, you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. I forgot to add that I had a clear colonosopy July 08' and on my bad days when it feels as if I need to go more, I hurt in my lower left side and cramp as if I need to have a bm, this lasts all day. It feels like a tugging, pressure feeling in my left colon, lots of bloating and later in the day gas, at night if I can pass the gas it seems better. On days where I feel as if I emptied fully, it is only a slight tugg/pressure. I had a complete hysterectomy in May 05'. I sleep well with no pain, I wonder if all of this is from so much fiber, but everywhere I search, I hear you can't get too much fiber if you balance it with enough water, which I do. I do stress easily, grew up in a dysfuntional home and I have a son that has bipolar, along with a very stressful job. I am a teacher and recently(last Thursday) had an irate parent come to to the school threatening to sue the assistant principal and me, my stomach was in knots most of the day so I feared I would have a hard time with my bm the next morning, but was surprised that it was the opposite. Then on on Sat. and Sun. had to strain and felt bloated and crampy the both days. Today it was not as bad. Thank you again for your input.
HAS ANYONE ONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM??/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.