Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been getting random, sudden attacks that feel like gas and acid indigestion. It's so painful that I'm doubled over with sharp, stabbing pains and can't even walk properly; once in a while, my stomach feels completely hollowed out and as though I'm going to vomit. When this happens, I take a reliever like Zantac or Eno and sit with a heat pad, but then my stomach--once settled from the acid--gets extremely gurgly and loud. And when I say gurgly, I mean it feels like there are bubbles in my lower abdomen that pop and move and sometimes emit a groaning noise. It feels like if I passed gas I would feel better, but I'm not sure if that's the case.So, stupid question. Is this gas and acid indigestion?? What in the heck would cause such a horrible flare-up? And what can I do to prevent and treat it--especially seeing as how I'm travelling soon?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sometimes it is gas, sometimes it is the activity of the colon. If it goes away when you fart or burp you can be pretty sure the gas is setting off the symptoms (usually from distending the GI tract, not because it does anything to damage you).Noise is from the activity of the colon. Now sometimes different contents may make it a bit noisier than others, but the noise is from the activity. It should always be making at least a tiny bit of noise (like your heart always makes noise when it beats). Making louder vs softer noises doesn't really tell you much about the why.If you are having heartburn/acid reflux regularly you might try taking the Zantac or Prilosec regularly for awhile rather than just wait until you can't take it anymore. That may help keep things under control better. Sometimes once you let it get way bad then it is a lot harder to damp back down than if you at least for awhile do something to prevent it from starting up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts