Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through this great BB I get the impression that it is more common for IBS D people to be bothered by food triggers??Is it true that IBS C people don't have to be quite so careful when choosing what to eat (within reason)Thanks Jane

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Somewhat true.It is more likely for food to have a mechanism that will loosen stools in all humans. Those foods may be good if you tend to be constipated but can be a problem if you already have diarrhea.Not much has a mechanism to make you more constipated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!So if you are IBS C is there the same need to do elimination diets etc? I a struggling to find what sets of my symptoms - anxiety/worry etc seem far more damaging at present. What do you think?Jx

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For a lot of people diet makes no difference at all, and if you know other triggers are a big problem I would focus on them.Some people may find that certain levels of fiber and water work better for them but that isn't as much a avoid 1-5 foods and all problems go away kind of thing.So it can be worth keeping an eye on diet, but I wouldn't let the anxiety get all caught up in it. Especially since a lot of worry and anxiety can get you to blame the food rather than the anxiety and working yourself into disordered eating won't help anything.I usually don't recommend doing a lot of very strict elimination diet as the stress of the diet and the not getting nutrition and calories stress the body so it can set you off more than any of the foods you are eliminating. Some general things like do I do better or worse with higher fiber foods, do I do better or worse with fatty/greasy foods should be enough for most people. That and a general food diary for a couple of weeks to see if you get a lot more gas symptoms when you have things like a lot of dairy or fructose. If you do see a pattern like that it may be worth doing a lactose or fructose free diet for a couple of weeks to see if it helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts