Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been suffering for tears with wind and cramps on and off. Had bloods done and told ive ibs.I started a week ago with bloating, heavy achy feeling low in abdomen, mainly on left and right sides, so liw on the sides. When i rest my hand on the area all you can feel is constant popping/gas. Also low in my bottom I feel like ive a huge ball of wind to pass, so uncomfortable.I saw my GP Tuesday and he examined me, and said it is a bad flare up of ibs. Ive some meds from GP but feel no better really.Do my symptoms sound like ibs? Im a worrier so thinking alsorts. My lower abdomen just feels so heavy and popping:( and now it is all in my bottom.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
So far, didn't see you mention anything other than the pain, discomfort of IBS (or other functional GI problems if every stool is completely normal in every way).Usually the worrisome symptoms are bloody diarrhea or weight loss even when you eat more than you need to maintain your weight.IBSers usually have a lot of issues with gas, pain and various uncomfortable sensations.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is stool consistency and stool frequency issues.They tend to run together but do not have to.If your stool is hard, dry, and hard to pass that is on the constipated end of things even if you go every day and doing things that soften or loosen stool would be reasonable things to do if you have discomfort passing stools like that.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS is chronic, so it lasts a long time by definition.Usually to get diagnosed the first time you need to have symptoms for at least 6 weeks (but doesn't have to be every day, you can have some symptom free days but the total needs to be 6 weeks worth of days with IBS symptoms over the course of 6 months. Some people have pain like that every day for decades, so 8 days is not way too long for IBS to bother someone).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IBS is chronic, so it lasts a long time by definition.Usually to get diagnosed the first time you need to have symptoms for at least 6 weeks (but doesn't have to be every day, you can have some symptom free days but the total needs to be 6 weeks worth of days with IBS symptoms over the course of 6 months. Some people have pain like that every day for decades, so 8 days is not way too long for IBS to bother someone).
Thank you Kathleen.I am just so worried about it, I have had IBS in the past flaring up, but never lasting this long so being a worrier I am doubting my doctor. I keep worrying it is more female related, so a womb infection for example or PID. He has told me my abdomen is nice and soft so nothing like that to worry about.It just feels so heavy low down, and I get sharp wind pains occasionally, and it's heavy in my bottom. I can't help but worry about it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you cannot sooth your worry you need to talk to the doctor about the worry/anxiety. That makes all symptoms a lot worse than they would otherwise be and often the anxiety is worse than the symptoms people are worrying themselves about.There are lots of treatments for anxiety, and reducing the worry every symptom must mean something the doctor must have always missed will make things a lot easier. If you won't believe your doctor, I do not know if anything I say could possibly convince your worry that these symptoms mean IBS rather than whatever your worry is most afraid of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you cannot sooth your worry you need to talk to the doctor about the worry/anxiety. That makes all symptoms a lot worse than they would otherwise be and often the anxiety is worse than the symptoms people are worrying themselves about.There are lots of treatments for anxiety, and reducing the worry every symptom must mean something the doctor must have always missed will make things a lot easier. If you won't believe your doctor, I do not know if anything I say could possibly convince your worry that these symptoms mean IBS rather than whatever your worry is most afraid of.
Thank you for your help Kathleen.I have suffered health anxiety for a long time, I have had treatment in the past such as counselling and anti depressants, but it is something I have to manage myself really.I do think the more I focus on the pain the worse it feels. How does anxiety cause IBS? My GP always says because I always feel stressed and worried I fuel my IBS.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
your brain is not completely separate from your bodyyour organs do not exist or function independently of the nervous system and hormone signalsWhen you are stressed out (physically like lack of sleep or emotionally), panicked, anxious, worried, troubled, etc, the signals from your nervous system and hormones (fight or flight hormones, stress hormones, etc) are different from when you are calm, relaxed and content.If you give the GI tract (or lungs or kidneys or muscles or any other body part) a different input it will give a different result.Stress has never been the cure or treatment for any illness of any kind. It always makes everything worse.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well then visit your OB GYN Dr for a check up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.