Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having diarrhea for at least 10 years. But it never caused my attention until recently. My diarrhea problem was a nuisanse as it's frequent but not too frequent to call help. The worse episodes that I could remember was 1 or 2 times a day. For most times, it's once or twice a week. My mom and my brother have similar bowel problem as I do. But theirs are much less frequent then mime. The D usually happens within 20 minutes after meal. After defecation, everything is normal. I did many stool tests over the years. Nothing was found: bacteria or parasites.I'm 30 years old, 5'10" and 153 lb. I look thin. I eat a lot but could not gain weight. Does my sympton look like IBS or IBD?thanks,

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
More IBS like than IBD like from what you have said.Things that tend to be more indicative of IBD.Bloody diarrheaOften IBDers are more likely to have way more than 3BM's a day than IBSers.Pain that wakes you up in the middle of the night from a sound sleep.Abnormal blood test results (Elevated Sedimentation Rate and Anemia)Inexplicable weight loss (have you really looked at the # of calories you need vs eat?..Is this a you get sick and can't eat for a day or two and lose tons of weight and have to eat much much more than usual to regain weight, or can't ever really regain it...or you just seem to be one of the thin ones. ARe you a lot thinner than anyone else in your family....people tend to have a genetic propensity to be a certain weight so being thin when the rest of the family is that way is not as concerning as when you are the one and only skinny one)from www.practicalweightloss.com for your age, weight, height and assuming a moderate activity level you need 2226 calories a day. It may be worth seeing if that is what you really eat. Ideal weight for your height with a medium build (same site) is 150 pounds, so you don't sound overly skinny to me.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, K.I don't have any of the symptons that you described for IBDers. That makes me much relieved. However, my family members are more chubbier than me. :) Although my mom and brother have the same D problem, they are quite fit. On the other hand, I look very thin. To gain weight, I ate lots of meat. It caused my cholestoral level above the normal line. Nevertheless I still have the same weight without any gain. I attribute this to my D problem. I guess my D problem disallows good absorption of calories and nutrition.I need to find a high calories low fat diet to gain weight. Any suggestion?thanks,

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS typically shouldn't be effecting your nutritional status (you absorb OK and diarrhea a couple of times a week shouldn't effect your ability to maintain/gain weight that much).Generally to change weight you need to add/subtract (depending on which way you are going) about 500 calories a day consistantly over time.One way to do that if your current diet works for you is to up the portion size of each and every thing by like 10-20%. Most of the studies show that it is calories in, calories out not which kind that makes the difference.I have known people that typically do not gain weight easily who have also done the following. Add 1 can of ensure to each meal (it is usually well tolerate by most people) and one at bedtime. That adds lots of calories to the diet easily.Also you might want to look at adding nuts to your diet if you tolerate them well. Diets with nuts in them generally tend to lower cholesterol
and they are calorie dense so it is easy to get a lot of calories in a small package. The Portfolio diet that was published awhile ago used almonds as part of the snack 2X a day (and not a lot of them) in addition to other dietary things (almonds have been tested by themselves and work alone) and they could reduce cholesterol substantially over a 3 week period.K

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.