Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get around my IBS diagnosis. I have nausea and bloating/distension which is cuased- not relieved-by BM. BM seems to cause wave of discomfort that bloats and nauseates (sometimes severe), along with fatigue, confusion, pasty tongue and more. Fairly regular; 1/day, same time is norm. But if there is 2, it is a bad day, 3 and I'm in bed moaning. Stool color and consisitancy is fairly regular, but shape can change dramatically from perfectly straight and large(feel good) to pencil thin corkscrew, curved 'wafers', or segments that completely double back on itself.(bad) Occasionally don't go for day or two and will feel great. Never pain, cramps, mucous or blood. Have had colon and tummy scope, CAT scans, stool and blood work. The tummy scope showed something Dr. thought was Barrett's, but biopsy was negative. HE put me on PPI's, which may or may not help. (never heartburn). Another DR put me on Hyosimine, but that also has no consisitant relief. After very bad bout, I stayed on Hyo for a few days and ended up with UTI that urologists said was caused by hyo. (gasto guy says that is not possible)New gastro yells at me to accept that I have an IB, that post BM bloat and nausea is 'my' IBS reaction and tells me "you've had every test known to man" and he "won't" order x-ray or H breath test but did do celiac and absorbtion tests. It can come in waves through the day, be constant, or absent for a week or more at a time. Maybe DR is right, but I have never heard of these symptoms attached to IBS and I don't really fit ROME 2. With the cumulative knowledge available here, I'm searching for any input. Sorry for lenth. So confused.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pedro-I have the exact same symptoms as you, and have had every test known to man done- the docs just think is IBS and that I am too anxoius of a person.I know how frustrating it is, walking around nauseaus all day and never knowing what your bm's are going to be like. I am worst in the mornings and right bfore and after a bm. Also, my food doesnt seem to digest properly. The meds I am on are zofran and valium, and i have switched from being pure vegan to eating some yogurt and trying probiotics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am glad to find someone with the same thing, but sorry for you at the same time. I am also worse in the mornings. I fiddle with acifex, fiber, and probiotics, endlessly searching for the answer. Naesea can come in waves w/o BM, as if digestion is slowed, or restricted, then it passes for a while. You ever have motility or X-ray? Do you agree with IBS?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Pedro-I have had colonoscopy, endoscopy, ct scan, and thyroid ultrasound. (they said one nodule was a little off and to follow up with blood tests in a few weeks) I also had an ovarian cyst on an ovary and one attached to my ovary/bowel that may have affected this. (not sure if you are male or female
I have a gastric emptying test in a week, where you eat protein and they watch it go thru you for about 3 hours. My doc is pretty exasberbated with me I can tell, but I don't feel good yet so I will keep pestering him. I have also tried acupuncture which really calms me. I think a lot of docs just say IBS when they don't have any other answer. It's just frustrating because it sounds so simple but its so debilitating and laborious to find anything to relieve the symptoms.PS I have had tummy problems all my life, but this bout started with a nasty white coating on my tongue that no doc knew what it was, when I went to acupuncture they said in chinese medicine the tongue is the gateway to digestion and could tell right away that my digestion was way off. I recommend acupuncture, if nothing else, to calm you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chafina-3AM and can't sleep. I am a man child. I have also had those tests, several CATs and thyroid blood test. Endo saw something that looked like Barrett's, but biopsy said no. Put me on PPIs.They can help, do nothing, or make me worse. This week, current gastro would not let me read my carefully scripted (to fit HMO 10 min) history and ?s. Yelled at me and said "accept IBS and stop thinking" Stop thinking? Refused to order x-ray. Did order celiac and absorbtion tests, which will show nothing like all the rest.I also feel I am in IBS dumping ground. Perhaps it is IBS (although IBS is a syndrome, a collection of symptoms to treat, without knowledge of cause). My trouble started 1o years ago, has become more persistant and debilatating.I often have white/yellowish film on tongue.Dr's have said it is 'acid' or don't know.I have not done acupunture, but did see highly regarded eastern/homeopathic Dr (of course no HMO for that, 350 cash)who asked about dreams,crying,weather etc. He saw I had polyps removed in colonscope and was very interested in cysts I had removed. HE said I need liver and digest detox. He said bloat/nausea after BM was liver refluxing back into stomach and more. Made some sense and I would have done it, but when I went to buy 'meds' (no names just C11, P45 ETC)he ordered over the phone, they would not tell me what they were (except for the $275). The whole experiance was so wierd, his english and manner, I ended up losing the faith I guess. Plus I may hit a good spell and then I revel in life, am happy and am so tired of DR.s and ETC.In fact, the longest and best periods are always w/o meds at all, then it starts again, so I play with different meds, then I think it gets better on it's own anyway. As you say so very frustrating.Very interested in your emptying test, I never had any. I thank Jah you're there tonight. Want to stay in touch. Nobody else answered my post. Pedro (actually german-irish dude)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same things as Pedro, every test came back positive except for a hiatis hernia. I also have a white pasty tongue since this episode happened about 2 months ago. I also get nausea after a BM and the same type of BM as you experienced. I added metamucil to my diet and it helped with better BM but the pain and mucous is still there. Like Chafina I also have cysts on my overies which 3 doctors said could not cause my pain. I was taking valium but stopped. the doctors want me to take an antidepresant called Paxil which i don't want to take. My mornings are hell and my evenings are the best time for me. the doctors are frustrated with me. I can't sit down because of the burning sensation in my back and I have a lump like feeling in my throat when I sit or read.ie. bend my head done. What to do next??????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SAPPY- You do sound very similar, especially frustrated Dr.s. The burning in the back and lump in throat sounds acid like. Gerd or an ulcer can do that. Also UTI infection,(pain in back) but you would probably be very sick. I am going to ask for test to screen H. Pylori bacteria that causes ulcers. You could do that too. Have they said anything about GERD or acid problems? Check out this site: http://www.webmd.com/hw/digestive_problems/hw217877.aspMy sisiter goes to chiropracter to get her 'flap' between small bowel and colon to close. When it's open, contents of colon get get into small intestine and tummy, which can wreak havok, including GERD symtoms that are not actually stomach acid but this reflux from below. She has to go back, it won't stay closed forever, but it helps her. I will report back.You had tests and blodwork etc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi PedroI have been tested for H. Pylori and it was negative. I am going to call my chiro tomorrow and see if he does anything for a hiatis hernia. I had a UTI two months ago but this pain is different. I do have GERD and I am on my third PPI drug. Pantaloc and pariot didn't work. Prevacid seems to help the best but I can't get more than 2-3 hours of sleep a night.Hope you get some answers. today my throat feels like it has a lump at the base of neck and it hurt when I swallowed my cereal this morning. Maybe I am having refux and can't feel it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks Forrest, is the white stuff on your tongue from the PPI's and antacids?? I find it changes the taste of my food too? I guess I will have to get used to it but I hate the feeling and having dry mouth doesn't help. Do you have dry mouth too?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sappy- Ask chiro about illalic valve (sp?) Valve between small and lage colon. My sister says her can get stuck open, allowing bad stuff to get up where it shoudn't. I've heard this can cause GERD symptoms, but not from stomach acid. People are supposed to have stomach acid, and we make less as we get older. GERD is a problem with the valve, rarely from too much acid. I went off PPIs before and can still feel good at times, in fact when I get an extended 'good' spell it is almost always w/o meds, just to add more confusion. How do you know about hernia? does it have symptoms? Have you had tummy scope? Glad Pylori was negative, trying to get mine tested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forrest-Somehow my last post toward you was lost.My tongue gets slimy, pasty etc, but does not always corrolate with how I'm feeling.Homeopathic Dr.s say tongue is window to digestive track. Thinking about going that way, colon clean and liver detox, as nothing else has been a clear answer, and I don't see how it could hurt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.