Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Just wondering if you could help me. My brother has started having diarrhoea in the last couple of months, it only happens when he has to get up very early for his paper round on a weekend or when he has to travel any distance (more than an hour) or if he's going somewhere and doesn't know where the toilets will be. I suffer very badly with IBS and don't know if his problems are related to how ill I am. I think probably his symptoms are psychological (not that I'm belittling what he is going through by saying that) as the rest of the time he has a normal bowel habit. I never really thought about it been IBS before but I have been reading more about anxiety driven IBS and wonder if this is what is wrong. I got him some Immodium from the chemist which is working for him but don't really know how to help him otherwise. My IBS is caused by food intolerance so I have different triggers to him and so don't know what I can do to help him. He's 15.I will post this message on the diarrhoea discussion board too.Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would think that your brother is suffering from anxiety driven IBS, but I do not have it and I really don't know what to suggest. Personally, I would feel that it not be managed by medication in such early stages otherwise he might become dependent on medications even when having mild IBS. THis dependency might result in IBS really becoming routinely. Well, thats what I think...not sure though. I would suggest that he make some small changes to his lifestyle so as to lessen that bit of stress and anxiety especially when he knows he would face them. Maybe such changes would help in the long run eventually.Hope things work out for both you and your brother. May god bless you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.