Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit embarassed because I ask SO many questions on the forum since I've been diagnosed. To be sure to have the answer I need I will list precise questions about my pain.1. My symptoms are chaging with every flare up. Is this normal?2. Pain changes from place to place with every flare upt. Is this normal?3. I currently have lower back pain on both side, normal?4. I currently have pain under my ribs, changes side sometimes, normal?5. Is it normal to feel like I just had a gym class ? I am sore and a lot of place hurts that didn't before. I use to have only abdominal pain. But now pain is on the back, front and side. normal? Thanks a lot for helping me, I know it's a lot of questions tho.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
1. Yep IBS with "every day is different" is pretty common. Usually organic (rather than functional like IBS) tend to cause more consistent problem then functional issues.2. IBS pain can be anywhere the colon is, it does not have to pick one place and stay there.3. Low back pain often comes with IBS. Either because the pain nerves aren't good a localizing thing (so the pain "spreads" from where it originates) or because your lower back is weak/injured anyway and it sounds off in a misery loves company kind of thing.4. The colon runs under the ribs on the right or left and those bends under the ribs are common trouble spots.5. Pain is normal with IBS, and pretty much every possible description of pain is normal for IBS. There are a few that are very specific for certain conditions, but IBS tends to cause pain in those locations with that severity.Additionally a lot of IBSers also have fibromyalgia and "like I worked out and hurt various things" can describe that, although that includes other body parts, not just the abdomen/torso.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen, I really appreciate your quick reply and explaination. Now I know that I'm not going crazy.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
1) If those changes are VASTLY different mention them to your Dr. No two days are exactly alike for me with my symptoms and I think that is so with most people.2)IBS involves the colon. The colon goes all the way around your abdomen so you are likely to feel it kinda anywhere along there..3)I have read others' posts that say the same and they also have just IBS. 4)Normal5)Normal.. spasming can make you feel like you just did like 100 sit ups... so yeah.. normal.Yukie are you having trouble accepting your diagnosis? If so... perhaps it is best if you bring up your concerns about your diagnosis with your Dr. We always welcome questions... and don't ever worry about asking them here. But we really really can't help you accept a diagnosis.. that is something to work on with yourself and your Dr.

·
Registered
269 Posts
BQ, if by accept the diagnosis you mean that I trust my Dr to the point where I am sure of her judgement in stating that I have IBS, then yes, I totally accept to diagnosis she proposed. I've known her since I'm 8 and she was never wrong about what I had.But if you mean to accept diagnosis by being in peace with knowing that have I have IBS, that it changed my life completely and that I have to live with it for most of my life, on and off. I don't accept it no.I'm having a rough time coping. I'm still waiting for it to go away magically. I know it's crazy but everytime I have a remission, I think "maybe this time it's gone for long" at least a couple of years. I just don't know how to manage my social and professional life anymore. I'm lucky for being able to keep my work but my performances are under what I am normally capable of. I feel tired, I have headaches everyday (during flare up) and I'm generally in pain My department also have Xmas dinner and breakfast and bounding activites which I cannot attend because I feel exhausted most of the time or I simply can't eat what they are proposing. When there's alchool they buy a bottle of fruit juice for me and I appreciate it but I feel very diffrent from others.In my personnal life, I am lucky to have found a very good man since only 4 months. We're planning for him to move in with me. But I have to ask him to do a lot of chores since I'm so tired and sick, and we have trouble sleeping together because I don't feel comfortable sharing the bed when I am really sick in the middle of the night. I've always been someone calm and not really social, staying home reading or watching movie. But a little while before being diagnosed, I decide to be more active. I went out with friends, made new friends, attended work activities with coworker, went to movies, learn how to cook delicious meals. And I liked it so much. Now I am back to my old self not being able to do long activities and attend stuff, see friends, have a drink with them. Anything.It's true I don't accept it. But until reading you a moment ago, I wasn't realizing it. Now that I am aware of that, I just don't know what to do with it. I don't know if you'd have any kind of suggestion about it? You or anyone else.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yukie.. I am glad you trust your Dr and yeah that was what I was really asking there. But "total acceptance" of how IBS can impact one's life is.. in my experience.. a process that can take some time. The more I found ways to manage my symptoms the easier things became. Are there things I won't ever be able to do or eat because of my particular IBS.. yeah.. probably. BUT there are SO many things that I CAN do so I choose to focus on those things.. forcing my thinking into the more positive range. I find I do much better when my thinking is more positive.Yukie have you read this by our Dr Bolen??.. it could help you with this:"Healthy Thinking for IBS"http://www.ibsgroup.org/node/515Have a read there and see what you think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to our world, the ever changing world of IBS.Yes to all your questions, mine changes every time, that's what makes it so scary. You always wonder if its the IBS or something else.Hang in there, and ask as many questions as you need too, I find this site totally reassuring and I have been living with IBS for many many many years, and it still scares me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wendaka thanks for your support. It's true that I always wonder if it's IBS or something else.BQ thanks for sharing that link. I just read it and I'll give it a try. I have a very healthy thinking boyfriend so maybe it'll help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts