Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, lately i have been having very bad pain in my left side and have been passing food i ate the night before in my bowel movements. Its not just little pieces its a lot of food, like the whole thing of spinach i ate, its kind of scary. I was just wondering if this is normal with ibs, it hasn't happend to this extent before.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When stools are loose it is easier to see that things like spinach the you don't chew enough come out the way they come in.That is normal for anyone. The usualy "at home" transit time test involves eating something that doesn't normally get broken down more than what you chewed it up, like corn or beans or spinach. You have nothing inside that dissolves them or grinds them up more than what your teeth do. No human does.The transit time you mention is on the fast side, but not clinically significant. Even before IBS I usually passed corn or other things like that from dinner the next morning. (so 12 hours vs the normal low end of 16 hours).K.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Tiffany, I'm glad you mentioned this, it happens to me a lot. When I get pain and have numerous explosive bowel movements I know things have 'rushed through' for whatever reason. I might see tiny bits of broccoli or carrot which I have eaten the night before.No wonder I feel so tired most of the time when food is not digested properly.I used to think that whatever I saw was the culprit but it certainly isnt that simple. It does put you off eating what you saw for a while though!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts