Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new here. I was recently diagnosed with IBS-D, although I think I have had it for quite some time (10 years or so). I have always had a sensitive stomach and would have attacks about once a month--especially after eating out at certain restaurants or overindulging. Since I started having thyroid problems about 7 months ago, my IBS symptoms worsened, and for a while I thought I was lactose intolerant, until my doc diagnosed the IBS. Lately I have been feeling a lot better--I am taking soluble fiber & an antispasmodic at every meal, along with modifications to my diet. My question though is if anyone else has ever had (especially first thing in the morning or after eating) a normal BM and then within 15 mins. a loose, watery BM? Is this normal for IBSers?Also, I wanted reassurance on this. Because I have always had IBS symptoms (but never really told my doc. about it--just took immodium to clear it up), and because I do not have any serious symptoms like blood in stool, fever, etc., my doc. diagnosed without major tests (she did a blood test-have to do that every 5 mnths for thyroid, urine and a general exam). She said my symptoms matched those of IBS and only if my antispasmodic didn't work would she recommend more tests. Is this common?thanks so much--I appreciate your advice and I am glad I found this community.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes... I have ....actually happened today at work.. right after lunch... almost like the cork came out... and the flood waters flowed.. Some times I can have 2 normal Bm's back to back... and a third which will be loose.. and 4th and so on loose. It this normal.... what is normal with IBS..????

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds pretty normal.First thing in the morning and after eating are when the colon normally has a fit of activity. In IBSers that what should be a normal increase in activity seems tob e an over-activity and a fair number or people have the BM pattern you mentioned.A lot of doctors do minimal testing if there isn't any indication it is something other than IBS. Generally if you match the symptom profile, and have no indication of anything else, no matter how many tests they do all of them will come back normal. There is evidence that repeated, extensive testing of IBSers in an effort to find something else tends to just make the IBS worse from the stress of all the preps, all the tests, and all the coming in and being told once again, they got nothing.K.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Happens to me all the time. I'll get up, have a nice, well-formed BM and start my day. Then sometime shortly after that, the D will start. Usually it's after I have something to eat, but not always. Sometimes it just starts up "out of the blue." Once it gets started, it usually lasts most of the day - I'll have like 8-10 urgent runny stools. It really bites.
As far as the lack of testing - I am hearing lots more people lately on here saying they were diagnosed without many tests. I think some Docs out there are getting better at figuring out which symptoms are red flags that signal something more serious. I myself was tenatively diagnosed without too many tests, but my doc would have liked to do more tests. We decided to stop at all the blood and non-invasive stool tests for now, while I experiment with some different remedies and drugs. He still wants to do a complete peek inside at some point, but I'm reluctant (go figure!) to go that route unless I can't get things under control.Marty

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yep me too.Welcome to the boards. You will love it here, only place where people know what you are talking about and can offer sugestions and good advice cause we all know where you are coming from.Take careKat

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Welcome Cardshark. I hear ya. In the past if I was going to get D it will start out as a normal BM, then a loose one, then off to the races until it's all water, usually yellow, which means there's nothing left. And it would usually happen around 2 hours after a meal, any meal, didn't matter what the food was.I have seen good improvement the last month or so with just 1 or 2 D episodes a week. Fiber has helped along with the hypno tapes. Again, welcome to the Boards!Brett

·
Registered
623 Posts
thats how iam with mine as well stats out fine!!!then bang few mions later loose water like movments but i only go in my morning but once in a while twice a day see i always thought mine was coffee doing mine but yeah that does sound like ibs to me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.