Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS-D, but it's usually not really bad D. It's just soft. Well, last night I ate grilled chicken with pesto jack cheese on top and cheesy rice a roni. I took my Bentyl right before I ate, but it didn't help. About 45 minutes after I ate, I was in the bathroom with BAD D! I've never in my life had it so bad. I must have went about 4-5 times. Then I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go. It was awful. I had bad cramping! I took Pepto, but it didn't help. I finally took Imodium AD and it helped. I'm now drinking water and eating saltine crackers. I've called my GI, but haven't heard from her yet. Is this abnormal?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Seems normal to me...IBS can do all kinds of crazy stuff..That is good that you called your Doctor...Hopefully soon you will be able to get some relief...Just one flareup and it sends your head spining
Mine anyway

·
Registered
140 Posts
JuleeYou are bringing back bad memories for me. I used to get those really bad episoids once every 4-5 months and in those days it was usually a culmination of high fat eating, too much coffee, a bit of strees, and possibly too much lactose (in between these I was like you loose and sofish). I am still not sure what specifically caused such an attack but I haven't had a bad one in over a year since I made the changes.Watch the fat in your diet. The meal sounds a little high in fat and for me fat seems to be a cumulative thing, what were your previous meals? I have had to cut caffine down to one tea a day.Also watch some of the nuts/spices. I would be surprise if your systems wasn't big on pine nuts. Soem nuts can really cause me problems only sometimes and for unknown reasons. Start getting some regular exercise if not already, this has helped me a lot. I also seem to be slightly lactose interlerant in that a glss of milk causes a problem but cheese may or may not cause a problem and again the cheese may be a fat thing as opposed to a lacotse thing.Teh fear of one of those bigies is slowy going away now, but I still fear them in the back of my mind----no fun at all.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Julee--Yikes, if I ate Pesto Jack Cheese and Cheesey Rice A Roni I, too, would be on the pot forever. Your body has now formally informed you not to eat those two things!!!Some people have triggers and some don't, I have improved dramatically since listening to my body and avoiding my triggers. Hope you are feeling better today!!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I use to get that four times a week. every week for some thirty years.If the weather was hot where your at on top of the food that could have also contributed, but the pesto is a big trigger for sure (pesto in general is also a big gas producer) as well as the fats in the cheese and the amount of food you ate at the one sitting.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I am trying now to eat better. I had some toast for breakfast. I'm not sure what to eat for lunch. I'm feeling much better. I still don't feel like myself. But I haven't had any D since early yesterday morning.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Julee,Do you usually eat packaged food, or was the rice a roni a departure for you? Those packaged foods are full of chemicals and additives like MSG, fractioned dairy and soy products, and just about anything else.If you don't usually eat them, or anything in that meal, it could have been that thing that caused the reaction. That's a fairly severe reaction, almost like food poisoning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.