Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to board, but hoping someone will recognize this pain. The pain starts in the soft spot just below the sternum between the lower ribs, it pushes straight through to the center of my back (like being impaled on a pole or something) and eventually spreads around my ribcage. Once it reaches my sides, any movement makes it feel like my ribs will shatter. Abdomen just under center of ribcage will push out and becomes tender to the touch. This will last for hours and sometimes days with no letup. Nothing provides relief (pain meds, gi cocktails, antacids, nothing)and it is a constant pain 7 or 8 out of 10. I have been to multiple drs (GI series, barium enemas oh what fun!, multiple ultrasounds, and other various tests). Gallbladder, ulcers, hernias, all the upper abdominal issues have been ruled out.Over the years I have identified a few food triggers and avoid them like the plague. The episodes are worse around the time of my period and often follow within a day or two of a migraine. New Doc thinks I may have IBS (constant diarhea, emergency trips to the bathroom, etc. + this pain) and has started me on anti-spasm medication. He is suggesting a colonoscopy if I don't get significant relief (3 full days on meds and no improvement so far). No other doctor has ever mentioned IBS in 20 years. I just wondered if anyone else recognizes this pain as IBS and has found a way to relieve it. Also what is the take on the colonoscopy? Are there other less invasive tests that could be done first?

·
Registered
7 Posts
New to board, but hoping someone will recognize this pain. The pain starts in the soft spot just below the sternum between the lower ribs, it pushes straight through to the center of my back (like being impaled on a pole or something) and eventually spreads around my ribcage. Once it reaches my sides, any movement makes it feel like my ribs will shatter. Abdomen just under center of ribcage will push out and becomes tender to the touch. This will last for hours and sometimes days with no letup. Nothing provides relief (pain meds, gi cocktails, antacids, nothing)and it is a constant pain 7 or 8 out of 10. I have been to multiple drs (GI series, barium enemas oh what fun!, multiple ultrasounds, and other various tests). Gallbladder, ulcers, hernias, all the upper abdominal issues have been ruled out.Over the years I have identified a few food triggers and avoid them like the plague. The episodes are worse around the time of my period and often follow within a day or two of a migraine. New Doc thinks I may have IBS (constant diarhea, emergency trips to the bathroom, etc. + this pain) and has started me on anti-spasm medication. He is suggesting a colonoscopy if I don't get significant relief (3 full days on meds and no improvement so far). No other doctor has ever mentioned IBS in 20 years. I just wondered if anyone else recognizes this pain as IBS and has found a way to relieve it. Also what is the take on the colonoscopy? Are there other less invasive tests that could be done first?
Hi there. I'm new here too. I think it is IBS related- or if you haven't been diagnosed with IBS yet- a similar bowel disorder. The abdomen bloating seems to suggest gas - if burping relieves it at all especially. Gas can push against organs like your diaphragm (don't know how to spell that) and cause referred pain. I know this, but it doesn't help the worrying, because of course there ARE other possibilities. Get the colonoscopy with a biopsy.Get put under for it, and you won't feel a thing. Not as scary as you imagine. If nothing else, you'll likely know what you're dealing with. IBS type disorders can be confusing- the real fun is when you get so used to abnormal being normal for you, that it gets confusing. Good luck.

·
Registered
894 Posts
does the pain work its way around in waves? if so, this is a peristaltic spasm. I thought I was having a heart attack, but it's actually a fancy name for bowel spasms. The contractions start at the upper end of the tract and 'wave' all the way to the other end, like ripples on water. Could be what you're experiencing. Painful, yes, but not fatal. Hyocyamine relieves mine. Good luck. Yes, get the colonoscopy and eliminate the bad things, then you're left with ibs as the only other thing you could have. And then you start learning how to manage it. You've come to the right place, we'll help you with tips. Everyone is different and you have to learn what works for you. The biggest thing is to get a good gastro doc. My best resource is my pharmacist. They know everyone--who prescribes what, who can see you quickly, staff is good, etc. Goldmine of info. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.