Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wondering if you can have IBS without abdominal pain? I have a camera colonoscopy in a week and dreading it. This has been arranged because my main symptom is nausea - really bad nausea out of the blue without the vomiting though. I also get loads of gas, stools that alternate between looking like hard tiny twigs, loose pencil shaped and normal. My biggest fear is cancer because the nausea is so bad but my GP said he didn't think it was and to trust him as a GP. If I am very very careful with what I eat, ie SMALL amounts of chicken, potato, small yoghurt etc etc I seem to be ok with the nausea but still feel like my bowel needs emptying......So just wondering if anyone else has IBS with these symptoms. My GP said nausea can be indicative of IBS. Thanks, Sarah.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Do you have no discomfort of any kind? No urgency, no bloating, no feeling like you need to go but when you try nothing comes out.Everything feels exactly like it did before but the stool consistency is funky?There can be functional diarrhea and constipation where you do not have any of the pain or discomfort (and discomfort COUNTS you do not need to be screaming in severe pain for the pain to count, and discomfort is sometimes pain that is more nagging ache rather than painful)Now Nausea is a discomfort but may be a functional upper GI issue more than a functional bowel one as your colon isn't what feels bad with nausea but your stomach.It is common to both upper and lower GI functional problems and some doctors will call every last one of the dozen or so upper and lower GI functional problems IBS even if the researchers divide everything up into as many small pieces as possible.It really doesn't matter much if they call it IBS or functional nausea because they treat to the symptom that bothers you, not the label.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello, just wondering if you can have IBS without abdominal pain? I have a camera colonoscopy in a week and dreading it. This has been arranged because my main symptom is nausea - really bad nausea out of the blue without the vomiting though. I also get loads of gas, stools that alternate between looking like hard tiny twigs, loose pencil shaped and normal. My biggest fear is cancer because the nausea is so bad but my GP said he didn't think it was and to trust him as a GP. If I am very very careful with what I eat, ie SMALL amounts of chicken, potato, small yoghurt etc etc I seem to be ok with the nausea but still feel like my bowel needs emptying......So just wondering if anyone else has IBS with these symptoms. My GP said nausea can be indicative of IBS. Thanks, Sarah.
yes you can have IBS without abdominal pain.Is the nausea any better once you have had a bowel movement???I used to have bouts of nausea all the time before i passed a BM. I used to go white and feel sick.Strangely it now seems to make me very angry and aggitated.Yours sounds classic IBS

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've never had any pain or nausea, with my IBS. I use to feel nauseated a lot when I just had crones disease.I couldn't eat more then twice a day without getting burning or irritating, or upset stomach. I had to wait at least 8 hour from the last time I ate before laying down, or I'd get massive indegestion before the IBS.Now though, with also having IBS, I can eat as many times as I want, pretty much lay down after I eat. Not have any pain or discomfort. But I am constantly totally and severly constipated all the time. Just like I had diarriah all the time when I just had the crones disease.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have nausea with a flare up of Gastritis. I will have the sensation for a bowl movement and once I pass one, the nausea subsides, but then it starts again about 20 minutes later until I have another BM. This goes on all day. The nausea is like nothing I have ever experienced. I liken it to motion sickness that goes on for about 3 days. When I lay down and rest, it is better. I'm taking Kombucha tea as I mentioned in a post and I haven't had an episode since. But I believe it is a sign of my GERD. Everyone is unique with this stuff!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.