Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have sought the answer to this question without success:Exactly what causes a part of my stool--the first to come out during a bowel movement--to turn to clay?I've read everything, seen my gastro, taken everything and still. . . still the first third of every bowel movement is torture. The remaining two-thirds is easy and soft.But, that first part is hard, hard, hard. Just like clay. And no one can tel me why.Without knowing the answer, there's little more I can do to alleviate the problem Only suffer.Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rob, I know what you mean. When I have to go and it feels like I need to go right away. I have such the hardest time going. I feel like that this big, fat something is going to come out and it turns out to be something so small. But, when that first piece is out, I have such an easy flow after that. I just don't understand it............ Sorry, I can't help you but will read if someone else can. I need the help too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always figured that that first portion was the 'front' of the engine and sat there a lot longer - thus drying out more - the rest seemed to go at a pace behing the 'engine'once it decided to start moving. I find once the 'engine' (often a painful process) makes it through- the softer cabooses follow.'

·
Registered
830 Posts
jolan is right. those hard stools that are hard to pass is, in fact, the definition of Constipation. Most people think that C is not having stools but in fact, it is hard to pass, dry stool that defines C. - A primary cause of this is not going to the bathroom when the urge arises because of pyschological discomfort: example, not wanting to use a public restroom, or go at work, or rushing the morning clock and not going, or not going at another's house, etc etc. Another cause, of course, is not enough water and/or lubricant in the bowel: this can be dealt with by drinking more water, consuming more olive oil or other "good" fats. There are, of course, foods that help with this (cooked greens, artichokes, prunes and figs, pears, etc) and for many of us, magnesium supplements, taken with meals, helps to draw water into the bowel, hence softening the stool. i basically have gone from C to practically D (which i prefer) using magnesium over the past two years.

G

·
Thank god, other people with "two tone" poos. Actually the first bits of mine are hardish but quite easy to pass, its what comes behind that seems like horrible mud, does not evacuate easily and makes a mess, not to put too fine a point on it and requires a lot of cleaning up. Isn't IBS a hoot!!!Sue, Manchester UK

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:. Most people think that C is not having stools but in fact, it is hard to pass, dry stool that defines C. -
Actually, it is not the defining characteristic, but may be a defining characteristic.
quote:consuming more olive oil or other "good" fats.
False Olive oil (or fats in general) could not possibly have any bearing on stool composition: stool does not contain any appreciable amount of fat. Fat is entirely absorbed in the small bowel.In addition, consuming fats takes away from consuming resistant starches and fibers that would. So in that sense, you want less fat and oil.(Note that the "oil" in olive oil is a food oil. It not the chemically related to laxative oils such as mineral or castor, which are more like motor oil.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ghitta-I am sorry that FLUX feels it is appropriate to conflict and argue with anything you say. You have been very helpful to me and I just want to say thank you. Flux --please stop being the devil's advocate ALL THE TIME.....good lord!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,Just wanted to say, yep have the same problem...and nope don't know what causes it. lolJolan's analogy was cute...made me laugh!! Thanks Ghitta for reminding me about Magnesium citrate....I forgot that it does help. I wonder which would be safer on a daily basis...a stool softener or the Magnesium? UH and Alexandragirl...I had to laugh at your remarks too. Yep...seems Flux has ample time on his hands to comment on so many posts. lol The important thing is, for us all to help and support each other through this horrible process of finding RELIEF!! By the way, that new product Digest Advantage has shown me help in the bloating/gas/pain in just two days. Might help some of you too. Good Luck All!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.