Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I gave up the morning suppository, "pulling down" unnecessary stool.I go three times in the morning and must leave for work. (I eat fiber one, raw spinach, raw carrots, everyday. And, an apple.)By the time I'm ready to go home (2:30), more stool has moved down and is sitting on my rectum (top of the anus?)Can't go in public, even going home must take hot coffee and sit quietly for a half hour to pass anything.This is ruining my whole life, with an 8-year old, wanting to shop after work etc.Is there such a thing as too much fiber?I also have Mike's tapes. And, I do exercise.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Joan,I know if I eat too many fiber foods I will have to go several times a day and also have lots of gas. This happens with whole grains which I avoid, raw vegetables, and too much fruit especially apples. So it could be your diet has too much fiber. You do need fiber but maybe supplements would work better. I wonder what Rose will think.I use Metamucil which works well. I'm experimenting with different kinds of soluble fiber and am having trouble retraining my pelvic floor muscles. I was abusing fleets enemas for years. I also have Multiple Sclerosis and I think that some of the reflexes for a BM are missing. My Neurologist agrees I should check this out. I also don't feel stools moving from my rectum to the toilet. This is probably MS.I have a BM once a day when I get the urge after a meal. But I am using my abdominal muscles to have a BM! It is a special maneuver for people who are paralyzed. It is hard on the heart cause of the pushing and holding breath. But it's over in seconds.For me I don't know if the Defecation Reflex (I looked it up on the Internet) is missing or my pelvic muscles are too weak. I really need a Neurogastroenterologist but there isn't one in my area. My Neurologist suggested I check with the doctor that does colon surgery and works with paralyzed people to see if he can test me. And when I figure out how to explain the problem and know just what happens with my BM I just might ask Flux for information about this testing.So I wonder if for some reason you too don't have a strong Defecation reflex or is it your poor pelvic floor muscles? We sort of talked about these muscles before. But it could be that part of your problem has to do with nerve conduction and reflexes. I feel so bad that you have to hold it in and then go right home. What a life! I think you might start to change your diet and see what happens.I am disabled and don�t have to work and worry about bathrooms!! When I was working I used enemas for a few seconds as stimulants which worked fine most of the time, except I was still often left will a feeling of incomplete evacuation. The enema made the time needed for a BM to be short and the urge only with the enema. I have retrained ny rectum to tell when I need a BM. At least that is working!Sorry this is so long. I am just venting. forgive me!------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Vickee. So very sorry to hear about your MS.I was the one told on 3/30 "very little muscle tone left in colon becuase of overuse of laxatives."GP said muscle tone would come back.I do Kegal exercises, situps w/Kegals, etc (as per Knottus' suggestion, I think.)No one should be passing water 3 times in Am,. should they?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Joan,If you are "going" three times every morning without the aid of laxatives or suppostiories, it does not sound as if you are constipated. Most people (even "normal" people) find it easier to "go" in the mornings, because after sleeping, all your muscles are "relaxed", and usually with a little stimulation..like coffee, or breakfast or simply moving the body around the "bowels" wake up also and usually move easier than at other times of the day. You probably have trouble in the afternoon, because after the stresses of the day your muscles are no longer "relaxed", making evacuation difficult. Also, it could be that your muscle tone is not back to where it should be after coming off the laxatives. I told you my sisters doctor told her it would take at least 3 months to get back the muscle tone. Anyway, that is what I think your problem is....I just don't know what to suggest to try to "fix" it..other than the possibility of trying an anti-spasmodic or a muscle relaxant. Did you ask you doctor about taking magnesium? This might help, by softening the stool and making it easier to pass. Personally, I don't think you are eating too much fiber...the fiber is probably what is helping "go" as much as you do.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried the magnesium. Yes, I could have a BM in afternoon, butstill had to go right home, drink coffee and sit quietly for half an hour.In the morning I must rise at 4:45. First BM comes at 5:05, second (watery) at 5:20, third ### 5:40. (also water) I cant be disturbed or anything.See gastro guy week after next. Life is not worth living like this. I can't pick up my 8 year old right away, must get away from her for half hour to sit and drink coffee, cant shop or stop after work. I was better off on the perdiem and using a suppository when I got home. Doctors say "ignore the stool" sitting there (2) but how do you ignore a knife going from your anus to your colon?Sorry for venting.Joan

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Joan,Don't feel bad venting to me. I know just where you are coming from. I still use the Perdiem...can't go without it. My muscle tone is probably shot to hell also, but at this point I don't care. I am just doing whatever I can in order to "go", while I am waiting for Zelmac. I am really hoping that is going to be the answer. I also have the "shy bowel" problem, in that I hate going in public restrooms or at work..but that is one thing I have gotten past. Used to be I couldn't "go" anywhere except in my own bathroom at home, but now I can "go" in public restrooms, because it comes down to either "go" or feel even more miserable than I already do. With regard to "going" at work..I can do that also (as long as nobody else in there) If somebody is using one of the other stalls...forget it..I can't go. I get up early in the morning also, because I have to have plenty of time to go..even with the Perdiem. I CANNOT be rushed or I can't "go"...so I totally understand sitting with coffee and needing "quiet" time...I do too. So at least you know you are not alone. Just try to hang on until Zelmac comes out..it might be the answer for a lot of us. You sound like you are down in the dumps because you can't do the things you want to do. I feel the same way a lot of the time, but when you start getting down on yourself try not to dwell on the things you CAN'T do and concentrate on the things you CAN do and be proud of yourself. You have what can be a debilitating condtion..a condition you have no control over, but you manage to hold down a job (A lot of people can't) As far as taking your daughter here and there..children can be very understanding and resiliant if things are explained to them. So if you can't go shopping after school.. go shopping on Saturday etc. I am sure you are a great Mom, but there are some things you have no control over and I am sure if you explain things to your daughter she will understand. The main thing is: don't beat yourself up over this...it will only make you feel worse.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the upbeat words, Rose. If you recall, I used to go anywhere with D stop at gas stations and beg for the key and promise to buy a candy bar (there were no minimart stations ten; stop at a diner, run to the john and then buy coffee cause of guilt.On my floor (4th), we HAVE only one stall. There's always a line. It's an old school, built in '31. guess most of the fac. were men then.Hubby, too, tries to do all he can for me, but he just doesn't "get it."I'll try to think of the positive,all my thanks,Joan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Joan, I wanted to email you personally, but did not see your email address. I have been on this board for about a year now. I go on this, and post alot of questions, but do not get the chance to read alot of the posts. When I read your posts recently, I could not believe how much you sound like me!! I think we are twins separated at birth. I also get the hard stool in the afternoon that will not come out on it's own. I need to come home lock myself in the bathroom, and try to get it out. i have done pulling it out, suppositories, and warm water enemas. This is soooo hard to deal with. I also have a daughter that needs me there, and a husband, both of whom do not know aobut my constipation problem. I spend so much time in the bathroom trying to feel somewhat better, i just hate it!!!! I try to ignore it, but i just can't. That icky feeling is always there!!!! I am so glad that i found someone that knows what i go through!!!!! Lets both pray for each other!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow, can I relate. (HI Rose, it's been awhile!) I've tried everything and it's sooo difficult. I'm trying to retrain my bowel but I go a few weeks and am just in so much pain and am sick of having no life at all. I just don't know what to do. I know the enemas are not good, but if I don't use them daily, and usually with Milk of Mag, I'm in total pain. Wish I had the answer for you. Just wanted to let ya know I know what it's like.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Wish, it is good to see you posting again. I haven't "seen" you on the board for so long, I thought you might be "cured". Sorry you are still having a rough time. I have been dying to ask you how you did with Mike's tapes. Do you feel they helped you at all? I have been pondering ordering them, but I have spent so much $$$$ on stuff that doesn't work, I hate to throw more $$ down the drain. I know the people who have "D" have been helped by them, but I have not read of many "C" people who have had such luck.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
254 Posts
No, I'm not cured, but am putting all my energy, unfortunately, into infertility treatments. I actually think Mike's tapes did help and my husband definitely felt they helped me. I need to listen again. It didn't help all the way, obviously, but seemed to take the edge off. I'm going to try them again and see if I improve again and will definitely let you know.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Wish,Thanks for getting back to me. I am sorry you are having trouble conceiving. The stress of going through fertility treatments could be aggrevating your "C". Stress is a big trigger for me. I was lucky, my "C" seemed to take a vacation when I was in my child-bearing years. I had no major "C" problems from my early 20's through my mid 30's...not even when I was pregnant, which was surprising. I will be sending good thoughts your way that you will conceive soon and have a C-free pregnancy.Take Care,------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cookie 30: I have now listed my email address in my profile.------------------Charter Counselor of the United Federation of Planets

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gosh, C and D are such different worlds.I hope this doesn't come out sounding the wrong way, but Joan, I am wondering if counseling or something like that could help you be able to go in a public place and without any ritual around it? It sounds like psychological issues about BMs are part of the problem?Really, we do all poop, even in public places. Being a D-type, I usually don't have much of a choice. Even if it's not D, I can't wait too long. Despite that, I used to feel uncomfortable going if others were in the bathroom, in certain places, like where people were working right outside a little bathroom, etc., which only created anxiety around the probs my stomach was already having, making everything worse!Every now and then I wonder if one of the reasons women have more probs with this stuff is because we are taught to be demure about things like BMs...Women don't fart, women don't poop, at least as far as everyone else is concerned, right? I always knew my dad was on the can, but you'd think my mom didn't poop while I was growing up. I think hormones influence IBS, and who knows what else, but I think we mess ourselves up worse when we worry about pooping. Working with a couple of guys who proudly announced they had to "take a dump" and rounded up some readign material then headed to the bathroom with it helped me be less self-conscious.What are the bathrooms like where you work? Is there a one-toilet men's bathroom too? One place I work had identical men's and women's bathrooms on the floor I worked on, which were identical, except the women's was sometimes slightly cleaner. There were more women on the floor than men, and I frequently used the men's restroom rather than waiting, whether it was urgent or not. I had work to do, so why wait in line when there's a restroom available? I know a guy on that floor did the same thing, and I'm sure other did it too. This is of course easier when you just have a bathroom with a door that locks and toilet, sink, etc. inside, but no stalls. I am afraid to do this where there is a stall, because I don't want to catch some guy using the urinal. But I have used men's rooms at gas stations, too. Just last week I was driving somewhere and just wanted to get home, and the ladies' room was out of TP, so I informed the clerk, and said I'm just going to use the men's room, if that's not a problem...which it wasn't. I've had places tell me to use the men's room if I inform them of some sort of a problem with the women's room. Anyhow, sorry to go off on so much of a tangent!I hope things get better for you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.