Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. 16 male with lighter constipations, but mostly incomplete BM's.This is how I manage my life right now;After dinner I eat one and a half tablespoons of flax seeds with two large glasses of water. Then I wake up at 05:00 so I'll have two hours of preparation time, which is what I need. And yes, it does feel ridiculous to wake up that early, but it's really comforting to know that you have time.Then I eat hot porridge which induces a bowel movement. The BM is mostly hard and feels incomplete. So then I do this; I eat a small bit of crisp bread and a huge glass of water. This mostly induces a second BM after about 15 minutes, which makes me have to rush to the toilet. Now the stools are loose, but I feel that I'm being emptied. I repeat this 5 times (which means I'll be drinking a LOT of water), then I take a really rushed shower and run to the train. This has worked for like five days so far and I've had the best days ever. No discomfort, no gas, no feeling heavy or bloated. The negative things about it is; very very time consuming and; doesn't always work. Plus you get a very small bladder from drinking so much water, and one has to pee very often.So my question is.. how is this working and is it dangerous? My current theory is that the water and crisp bread fills the stomache which makes it send a signal to empty the bowels.What I'd like is to just have ONE, normal, completely emptying bowel movement after breakfast, so I can live a normal life and not have everyone asking why I wake up at 05:00.Thankyou! /Exausted

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The only concern is if you are drinking way more water for the whole day than you really need. if you are still in the normal range of 8 8oz glasses total for the day I wouldn't worry about health too much. If you are drinking a lot more than that I'd worry (or you might need to drink gatorade later in the day to keep up the electrolytes as if you were drinking enough water for marathon runing or something, you might look up those guidelines, usually it is after the first gallon or so you might need to worry).Eating does stimulate the bowels to move, so that is just using your bodies natural tendancy.K.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Kathleen, from what I read in your post about water, I might be drinking too much water. I probably drink a gallon or so the whole day, plus my teas, juices, and rice milk. Do I need to worry about that much water? In what that might affect me? I drink that much water b/c it's the only way I can stay regular, to get the strong urge to go and to have more complete BM.Thank you so much for the help.Blessings,Abi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think It's over 88oz (not familiar with oz as a measuring unit) so that should be ok. However, it's problematic to have to pee very often.What I really want, though, is to have only one complete bowel movement in the morning.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I drink lots of water before breakfast and then I have a BM. I drink lots of more water after breakfast for a second BM. After that, I don't drink any more water until after dinner. But b/c I drink so much water in the morning I'm peeing all day. I also have to get up during the night to pee some more. So frustrating !!!!!
Blessings,Abi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Abigail;I understand the pain of that. It's so annoying to have to drink so much water. My doctor told me to hold it in aslong as possible to 'stretch' my bladder or something to get a better capacity.. (Not sure though) And anyways, about empty bowels, how can one be sure that they really are empty?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you are drinking other things it should be OK, but watch out for signs that seem like dehydration (over doing and underdoing water can be similar). I think they are more concerned about people who do over a gallon of water in a few hours like you do when exercising heavily. Juices have the electrolytes that water doesn't have, so that should balance it out.64 oz is just under 2 liters and that is about 1/2 a gallon and usually it is more than a gallon in a relatively short period of time you worry about.K.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
Hi Exhausted --and others--thanks for bringing up this topic. I have incomplete evacuation too and have to get up very very early so I have enough time before work to try to get as much poo out as possible since it's so uncomfortable and painful when it's stuck up in there all day and won't come out. and my morning routine also involes drinking a lot of water--I find warm water works best and of course I have to have my coffee too, especially at that early hour of the day. quite a while ago I remember someone on this board recommended "jump starting" their colon with a big 10 oz glass of cold water first thing in the morning followed by a hot drink like coffee, tea or hot grape or apple juice (I even tried prune) or warm water with some lemon juice in it. none of this really worked any better for me than my regular routine but I thought i'd mention it anyway since different things work for different people. and yes, you're right about wanting to live a normal life and not having to get up so early--I wish I could too. it means I can't stay up real late like other people and they always ask why and I quickly found that if I try to explain the real reason they look at me like I'm an obsessive hypochondriac or something so I just tell them that I'm exhausted and have insomnia...which is also true but at least they'll accept that..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.