Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I havent posted on here for some time, but I thought id write this and give you all a little bit of hope!I cant really say for SURE that all my 'ibs symptoms' have gone for good, but I CAN tell you that I had SEVERE D every single day (three times a day) between November and February this year and now I havent had D for over a month.Of course I am still VERY careful with what I eat - too scared to eat curries, or chines food or spices or excess fatty foods but my in the main my stomache cramps and pains and D have gone.The reason im posting this, is because my Dr. never really found out what was wrong with me...and so he diagnosed 'IBS'.It all started in November with a bad night of cramping and severe D. Felt dizzy also and quite strange. Thought id eaten some bad food. However, 3 weeks later I was still getting pains (shooting pains in upper stomache, cramps and D)and 2 months later still no better! Went to Dr again.Sent me for Colonoscopy and Endoscopy. Nothing was found. Then he just left me!!! was really unhelpful.However, for come reason now things have settled. I really dont know whether i have 'IBS' and am just "having a good period" nefore the cramps and D will come back - or whether it was nothing to do with IBS, but was something else, like a bug or gastro or somthing. I think its more likely to be the latter.The point im making, is that there is hope. I thought I had IBS. The Drs said I had IBS, but now the symptoms have gone. Maybe it was just an illness? a 'one-'off'? who can tell? time will tell, i guess!........xx :love:

· Registered
33,934 Posts
IBS does go away for some people.That doesn't mean it WAS NOT IBS to start with.Post infectious IBS (symptoms that persist past 2-6 weeks of clearing the GI infection) appear to be IBS, REALLY they do.But some people indicate that Post Infectious IBS does tend to fade out in some people by the 1 year or 2 year mark. That doesn't mean that it was something other than IBS.Over all IBS has a small remission rate (just like cancer has a low, but significant spontaneous remission rate....just because the tumor went away on it's own doesn't mean it wasn't cancer...just it was one of those cases that just clears up on it's own). Some people do get better after a while.IBS does not have to be every day for the rest of your life to have been IBS.K.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
People who have a GI infection are 10X more likely than others to have IBS in the year following the GI infection.Inflamation damages nerves. Mucked up nerves are what seems to be behind IBS.Post-infectious IBS is you had the stomach flu and/or food poisoning or something like that.There can be residual symptoms from those infections (nerves healing) for a few weeks.If it lasts more than 6 weeks. Whether it is 2 months 4 1/2 monts, 1 year, 2 years or 20 years that is ALL post infectious IBS.When you look at remission rates one researcher seemed to find that some people with IBS symptoms after a GI Infection (lasting at least a few months) seemed to eventually recover.This makes some biological sense as nerves sometimes take a really long time to heal up after damage. If ithe inflamation mucks up the nerves bad enough it may take months or years to get back the functioning, or it may never come back.Anything less than 6 weeks of symptoms is usually not considered IBS, but just part of the healing up of the GI tract from the assault on it. But lasting 6 weeks or more afterward is post-infectious IBS.K.

· Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Kmottus.I guess this may explain the fact that my Dr did one blood test for 'ESR' which came back 'too high'. When I asked him what 'ESR' was, he said that it meant 'inflammation' inside somewhere. But he said he had no idea wherer exactly.Maybe i was inflammed inside due to Post Inf IBS as you said, and maybe this is what was showing on the blood tests???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.