Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to start a huge contoversy here but I'm just curious. Almost everyone here has anxiety issues, whether they came before or after the IBS. What if we just took that "magic pill" or whatever to take away the anxiety, would the IBS just go away? Let me know your thoughts, and again I'm only speculating, I realize there are food and physical issues as well but after reading all the posts, anxiety seems to be the biggie.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i know that today my symptoms are definitely anxiety related. i've tried to just calm myself in every way imaginable, but it's the mind over matter for me today. before all the meds i am on, it was not mind over matter, so there is a link, yet some is definitely the ibs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i know that today my symptoms are definitely anxiety related. i've tried to just calm myself in every way imaginable, but it's the mind over matter for me today. before all the meds i am on, it was not mind over matter, so there is a link, yet some is definitely the ibs.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Its is not the cause of IBS, but goes a long long way in triggering attacks, so anxiety reduction is extremely helpful.Read what I just posted on the IBS gas & more caused by Bacteria thread.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Its is not the cause of IBS, but goes a long long way in triggering attacks, so anxiety reduction is extremely helpful.Read what I just posted on the IBS gas & more caused by Bacteria thread.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not to be a broken record--if you click on my name and look at recent posts of mine you will see what I mean--but I believe many people are diagnosed with IBS, D in particular, when they actually have anxiety-induced D. That does not mean you have to be in the midst of a crisis--though most of us have certainly experienced GI problems at that time--but it can be chronic stress that is long standing. (That could include things like unhappy marriages, family conflicts, economic issues, and many others.) I was orignially diagnosed with IBS-D by a GI but was eventually diagnosed and SUCCESSFULLY TREATED as someone with ANXIETY-INDUCED D. That may well be true for others, but it did not happen until I went to a psychiatrist who had seen many people like me. Xanax stopped my D--unlike everything else--and that showed me and my psychiatrist that anxiety was at the root of my D. To each her own, but that's how things worked out for me. Take care.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not to be a broken record--if you click on my name and look at recent posts of mine you will see what I mean--but I believe many people are diagnosed with IBS, D in particular, when they actually have anxiety-induced D. That does not mean you have to be in the midst of a crisis--though most of us have certainly experienced GI problems at that time--but it can be chronic stress that is long standing. (That could include things like unhappy marriages, family conflicts, economic issues, and many others.) I was orignially diagnosed with IBS-D by a GI but was eventually diagnosed and SUCCESSFULLY TREATED as someone with ANXIETY-INDUCED D. That may well be true for others, but it did not happen until I went to a psychiatrist who had seen many people like me. Xanax stopped my D--unlike everything else--and that showed me and my psychiatrist that anxiety was at the root of my D. To each her own, but that's how things worked out for me. Take care.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Personally, I agree with your theory, for me anxiety is my trigger. I know it was a major traumatic event (my mom went psychotic) that launched the whole IBS-D thing into full swing for me for about 10 years now off and on. I was always an extremely shy, highly sensitive and nervous kid growing up. A typical INFJ on the Myers-Briggs thing I think it's called and under the sign of Cancer being a July baby. Growing up any major events which involved me being in front of people triggered the old D. It's only gotten worse since 1994. It's getting to the point where I need to get professional help for it. I've been fighting it on my own for 10 years and am getting tired.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Personally, I agree with your theory, for me anxiety is my trigger. I know it was a major traumatic event (my mom went psychotic) that launched the whole IBS-D thing into full swing for me for about 10 years now off and on. I was always an extremely shy, highly sensitive and nervous kid growing up. A typical INFJ on the Myers-Briggs thing I think it's called and under the sign of Cancer being a July baby. Growing up any major events which involved me being in front of people triggered the old D. It's only gotten worse since 1994. It's getting to the point where I need to get professional help for it. I've been fighting it on my own for 10 years and am getting tired.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You sound like me. My anxiety brings on symptoms, both d and sometimes believe it or not c as well. My mom is psychotic also, her episodes last for months and my dad is fighting cancer. I too am pretty shy and quiet and worry a lot, about kids etc. Anxiety is a big trigger for ibs and can bring on the pain as well as d and/or c. It may not be th cause, but is definately a major factor.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You sound like me. My anxiety brings on symptoms, both d and sometimes believe it or not c as well. My mom is psychotic also, her episodes last for months and my dad is fighting cancer. I too am pretty shy and quiet and worry a lot, about kids etc. Anxiety is a big trigger for ibs and can bring on the pain as well as d and/or c. It may not be th cause, but is definately a major factor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree with you on that. I believe my IBS is anxiety related. The reason I say this is that every time I have something stressful or something bad happen I get IBS and after the event has passed my IBS goes away. It happens everytime without fail. I also have generalized anxiety and panic attacks. I do believe they are related.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree with you on that. I believe my IBS is anxiety related. The reason I say this is that every time I have something stressful or something bad happen I get IBS and after the event has passed my IBS goes away. It happens everytime without fail. I also have generalized anxiety and panic attacks. I do believe they are related.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just found this great site that explains how the mind/body reacts to stress: http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020610...tomy/index.html Make sure to check out all three "cards" across the top. Also have discovered that Xanax affects the amygdala (it's in the picture at that site) which is our "fear" center and sends out all those "fight or flight" chemicals. Now it makes perfect sense to me why the Xanax stops the D and all the other physical symptoms that we experience when we are afraid. Very interesting.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just found this great site that explains how the mind/body reacts to stress: http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020610...tomy/index.html Make sure to check out all three "cards" across the top. Also have discovered that Xanax affects the amygdala (it's in the picture at that site) which is our "fear" center and sends out all those "fight or flight" chemicals. Now it makes perfect sense to me why the Xanax stops the D and all the other physical symptoms that we experience when we are afraid. Very interesting.

·
Registered
927 Posts
As Eric said, it can be a substantial trigger. However everyone deals with anxiety & stress in their lives so something else must be functioning badly for such anxiety to have a marked effect on the gut.Serious or prolonged anxiety might set off certain functional problems which I guess could then be seen as a cause.

·
Registered
927 Posts
As Eric said, it can be a substantial trigger. However everyone deals with anxiety & stress in their lives so something else must be functioning badly for such anxiety to have a marked effect on the gut.Serious or prolonged anxiety might set off certain functional problems which I guess could then be seen as a cause.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you nailed it when you said "Serious or prolonged anxiety and stress". I've always had anxiety problems. They've always showed up over the years differently. First I would shake if I was nervous, then it was panic attacks which went away, then it was trouble eating called "globus histericus" where you choke when you eat, now its turned into IBS. I've managed to get rid of all the others but this IBS is something else. Its as if its right to my core of my anxiety. I am trying the HT tapes so I really hope they help.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you nailed it when you said "Serious or prolonged anxiety and stress". I've always had anxiety problems. They've always showed up over the years differently. First I would shake if I was nervous, then it was panic attacks which went away, then it was trouble eating called "globus histericus" where you choke when you eat, now its turned into IBS. I've managed to get rid of all the others but this IBS is something else. Its as if its right to my core of my anxiety. I am trying the HT tapes so I really hope they help.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Not only is anxiety a trigger for me, but so is a lot of emotions. Even getting over happy or excited seems to be a trigger for me. What's up with that? I don't believe it's the cause, for me I believe it all started when my gallbladder went bad on me. But it IS a BIG HUGE factor for a lot of us I think.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.