Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first post. My IBS-D is triggered by eating food. Any kind of food...there are no specific "bad" foods. Anyway, because a gal has to eat, I have to take a LOT of sick time from work, and it's absolutely affecting my performance. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I plain, flat out cant work due to my IBS. I dont know how anyone with severe cases can hold a job in all honesty. I would be late, taking too much time off or spending a great deal of time in the restroom.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am thankful that my boss knows about my condition and in fact three of us in the office have the same condition just different types.. I am IBS-D, another IBS-A/C, and another is IBS D.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IBS-D affects my job performance as well. As does eating anything(no specific bad foods)triggering an episode. It sucks. I'm surprised I haven't gotten fired yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had huge issues with work. I ended up leaving because of stress though. I was alright to start but as they bumped me between departments(I was working in a grocery store) some of the dept. managers were better then others. But in the end I was missing too much work( any more then twice every four weeks was considered excessive and you got written up if you didn't have a doctor's note), when I did make it in I was in the ladies room ALOT. Right now I'm not working. As for the food part, it's really hit or miss. I had pizza(big no-no) a few weeks ago no problems, Today I was having some pretzels and 20 minutes later I was going through the magazine basket in the bathroom trying to find something to read. When I was working I barely ever ate at work just in case I did eat something that didn't agree. If you have IBS and can hold a full time job, or even a job in general, my hat's off to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can totally relate to the whole job thing with IBS-D. I used to work in cust svc on the phones and would have to leave my phone sometimes for an hour at a time, leaving my boss wondering why I wasn't doing my job! It's very embarassing to explain it's because I've got a problem in the bathroom! Luckily he was somewhat understanding. I have found something that may help people in this type of situation. I have been taking a nutritional supplement since August that has absolutely changed my life. Since I was about 5 years old I used to have at least weekly 2 hour attacks that were so painful they were comparable to labor pains. In fact when I was pregnant with my last son one time one of my cramp attacks lasted so long w/o the D hitting I actually thought I was in premature labor! I have not had one single attack since August and have even been able to go back to enjoying caffeine and dairy products for the first time in over 10 years. Those foods were a big no no for me. this product has made my life so much easier and less stressful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My issue is getting to work on time because I spend so much time in the bathroom in the morning it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i feel better knowing that other people are like me. my attacks occur in the morning too. i have fairly well formed bowel movements but they come and come and come within the first few hours after i wake sometimes even befor eating anything. this is mainly the reason why im not working. i have a bachelors degree in community health ed and a a medical assistant certificate. i even got a phlebotomist technician certification, but today 3 years after graduating with honors and 1 year the medical assistatn certificate. i stay at home being a homemaker and babysitting my 7 year old niece. dont get me wrong being a homemaker is a real job and being a babysitter someitmes is more demanding than working with adults, it just doesnt pay much, but i had to decide what i was going to do. wake up at 4 oclock int he morning to be at work at 9 or have less luxuries and a fulfilling happy life. i think that for some of us being able to do something from home proves to be the best way to have a less streesful life while still feeling good about ourselves. of course there are those who dont a have a choice, so i feel extremely blessed to have a husband who understand me and supports (at least most of the time) sometimes he feels overwhelmed by the way ibs d has changed me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Andrea---what nutritional supplement do you use? I am open to try anything. Food and work is not mixing well for me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You definitely aren't alone. I've had to take a work from home job (that I was able to get via family connections) due to this. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be working at all. My heart goes out to those of you who are struggling through this in a work (or school) environment.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have the same freakin issues at work. I tell people of my condition, and of course, they think im lying jsut so that i can get my ways. ive worked at my current job for a little over a year, and ive called in sick at least 20 times and i leave early, as well. ive tried exercising, meditating, not eating as much, anti-diarrheal medicine, EVERYTHING!!!and it still doesnt help.now, im on lomotil and lexapro. its calmed me down a bit, but i still have bad bouts of d and im still going crazy with waking up at 4 in the morning jsut so i can drive 10 minutes to work.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HI and welcome. I read that IBS is the leading reasons people miss work. Sucks to have it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i always mention that i have a sensitive stomach or that it hurts but i think all my coworkers just think i am saying that. and because i am thinner they think i dont like to eat or something. it's actually really annoying that they do that. fortunately, i havent really had to miss work because of it mainly due to the fact that i moved to be closer to work. it's interesting that it is one of the leading reasons ppl miss work as kitkat said because i'm sure when my coworkers see me they don't think i have these types of problems but then again they could be hiding it well too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
codeine phosphate tablets and isphagula fiber supplements with my food has helped me with the diarrhea. Note: codeine is addictive though, but hey it sure works for me. Oh it may also cause drowsiness, although i haven't notice any extra drosiness on top off the sleepiness i have even without meds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have posted in the general IBS forum of my situation with my bosses, long story short I was told "this was not a good time to get sick", I have been at my current job for almost three years and one of the top producers at my job, I do mortgage work, I even gave the pamphlet so they would understand and I think they just threw it away, I know that everyone out there just doesn't know what it means to have IBS, you literally have to take everyday sec by sec, cause you never know what is going to hit you

·
Registered
8 Posts
quote:Originally posted by MathCzyk:Hi. This is my first post. My IBS-D is triggered by eating food. Any kind of food...there are no specific "bad" foods. Anyway, because a gal has to eat, I have to take a LOT of sick time from work, and it's absolutely affecting my performance. Does anyone else have this problem?
Hello MathCzyk This is also my first post so I don't even know if I'm doing this right! I frequently had issues ### work.I worked in surgery giving anesthesia and we can't bolt and run. It was worse because I would get lunch relief ( and come back to my patient and have to call out for urgent D. I don't work now due to arthritis ,back issues. So I can just move into the BR. Mary Kay

·
Registered
8 Posts
quote:Originally posted by joolie:Hello and welcome to all the new members
Hi joolie, I just wanted to pass on my friends daughter's experience(after years of colonoscopies and pain and D) She read an article in a womens magazine on Gluten intolerance. Well she is and follows the diet and feels better than she has in 15 years .It is a blood test. Unfortunately I don't have it so just back to the lousy IBS D. But the gluten probelm is about 1 in 130 people. There is gluten added to almost everything. Please explain probotics and fiber .I live on Imodium Thank you so much Mary Kay

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi milo I found that codeine helped me but then my next bout was a bit worse. I have since chnaged to 100mg aspirin twice per day and the improvement is much better than on codeine. Aspirin carries its own risks but it would be interesting to see if this helped you.cheerskevin
quote:Originally posted by milo_:codeine phosphate tablets and isphagula fiber supplements with my food has helped me with the diarrhea. Note: codeine is addictive though, but hey it sure works for me. Oh it may also cause drowsiness, although i haven't notice any extra drosiness on top off the sleepiness i have even without meds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been a sufferer of IBS-D since 1998. I had to leave my job of 17 years because of the problems I had with this condition. A 45 minute drive to work would sometimes turn into a 1.5 hr trip. . .frequent stops. Was able to stay at home for a few years until I could find work that would allow me to work from home. . .bookeeping for others. Thank God! Condition seemed to get better until a started a part-time job at the local school. The anxiety triggered the symptons and we were back to square one! Imodium seems to help when I know stress levels will be up, but I'm worried about the long term use of Imodium. I worry about taking my kids out for activities as the trips to the bathroom can be embarassing. I never carpool with anyone and worry about taking others with us on car trips. What a life!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts