Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for those who know my previous incidents with allergies...well it happened again Saturday night. It is taking me two days to begin to feel a bit better.We went out to dinner with family and they insisted on seafood ... well I am sort of a borderline allergic to seafood person to make a long story short. (i.e. sometimes I react and sometimes I don't seem to)!Well I ate a lobster tail and it happened again --I couldn't breathe, my eyes began to itch and water, my body started itching.I manged to get the medicine I needed and came home and passed out. I slept on Sunday most of the day and today I feel less groggry and dizzy but I am still having some difficulty breathing. Just congested.I won't eat seafood again! This was it for me!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Sounds miserable! You have my sympathies!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yeek! Make sure you don't eat seafood again! Every reaction gets worse and worse for a lot of people. Also, ask yuor doctor what medical tests you should avoid. There is a dye test that people with seafood allergies should not have as well, can cause the same result.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah Rita, Rora is right. If you ever are asked what your allergies are, make sure you say "shellfish" first! My husband has the same problem and they can still do contrast studies on him if they need to, they just use a different dye. This is nothing to mess with. My husband's has gotten more severe over the years to the point that if I just happen to use the same utensil to dish his food out if I had used it prior with a shellfish item, like a serving spoon, he reacts. He also once took ice cubes out of my water glass on the table at a restaurant. He wanted to use them to cool off his black coffee. I had shrimp that night for dinner. The ice cubes touched my lips and mouth and that was enough for him to react to. Well he had such an attack at the restaurant, lol we were starting to draw a crowd.
I quickly dug in my purse and gave him a Benadryl and he was ok shortly. To this day I always have Benadryl in my purse. Be careful. This is worth a call to your Doc to let him know what is happening so that they can put it in your chart.BQ

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
True that with each reaction it can get more severe. I would be wary of anything with a high iodine content (like contrast dye's). Liquid Benedryl is the best thing to keep on hand as it gets in your system quicker than the pills. (I carry an Epi Pen with me at all times due to my food allergies, but have never had to use it *knock wood*)Rita, what are your current thyroid levels? I'm asking because when my thyroid levels are high (not TSH - but actual thyroid hormone levels T4, T3) my allergies are in high gear and I react to lots of things that I normally don't react to. Because thyroid hormone contains iodine atoms, I'm thinking there may be a connection in your case?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well K9 that is interesting. I am going to request a copy of my lab from 3 mos. ago. I have an epi pen but of course it was at home. My husband ran to a nearby store and got me the liquid benadryl right away. Here I was once again great company. We were at a seafood restaurant here on the Katy Frwy. and right after I ate my dinner I asked the manager if they had any benadryl on hand. He looked at me very funny. My husband knew he needed to run out and get the stuff quickly. It is amazing how quickly it all came on. I had lobster at New Years and did not have trouble. Now it was Maine lobster and this lobster was Australian. I thought for sure my problem with seafood was from clams because the last time I ate linguine and clam sauce I had a reaction....but since then I have eaten some shrimp and some lobster without any trouble. Well I am carrying the benadryl in my glove box from now on and staying completely away from seafood!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My mom (also named Rita!) can't eat seafood. She used to love it, and then one day she just swelled up and broke out in a rash after eating shrimp. The doctor told her to NEVER try it again. Glad you are feeling better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.