Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i went to bed at like midnight, same o same o before i feel asleep. no pain no sickness nothing.... well i woke up about 30 minutes ago, and i feelt nauseated and my whole stomach was cramped, i cud feel my whole stomach muscle was tight. it hurt so bad.... All the research i done in the past stated IBS doesnt wake u up.... well i laid in pain for about 30 minutes then got up to go sit in the bathroom after the nausea went away.i dunno if my stomach is going to start hurting again, but im scared. i had to force some D out to feel better... what do you all think, i have to work in 4 hours and i dont want to go if i got the worst time

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I can tell you , you were not alone, i went to bed around 1 last night woke up at 4.30 with bad intense stomache cramps,had bad d by 5.I have been suffering from consipation so i thought perhaps i had got myself a bit backed up.I have all the tests done and they were clear, and i wake up sometimes with my ibs and i know a few here do to.Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi,I wake up with pain from IBS too. Sometimes it hurts so much and is so painful you cant stay asleep and lye there or on the toilet in pain for hours.I am so sorry to hear you are unwell, I hope things get better for youPoo Pea

·
Registered
7 Posts
My IBS pain attacks ALWAYS wake me up in the middle of the night; that seems to be the only time of day that they decide to show up. I sometimes wonder whether it has to do with something in my subconscious, kind of like nightmares, anxiety dreams, or even the kind of panicky anxiety that can trigger hot flashes and night sweats. In fact, I once woke up in the middle of a crazy dream where I was in a panic and barely knew where I was. Once I really came to, I started to feel that vague abdominal pain that just gets worse, and worse, and worse. And there is no way I could ever go back to sleep after that. I've spent many nights, at home and in hotel rooms (on travel for work), writhing in pain while waiting for the sun to come up.I hope you feel better!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mines don't even let me sleep.My stomach starts stirring at night and it stops me sleeping. If I didn't have the stirring I probably wouldn't be all that concerned about my IBS as it doesn't bother me aside from that.Another visit to the doctor me thinks :/

·
Registered
557 Posts
I haven't had it wake me up yet, but it has kept me from falling asleep. It's usually relieved once I have D. It doesn't happen to me often, but when it does it's pretty bad. I totally sympathize with those of you have it a lot. I don't know how you all manage. I don't know how I would manage it either. I hope you feel better soon. It sucks going to work when you're not feeling well.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
pain end,I'm so sorry abt your situation. I hate to ask this, but have you had a full work-up by a GI? All the tests done to rule out everything? It's not uncommon for people to self diagnose themselves IBS, but pain waking you up I believe is a "red flag" that -could- point to a more serious condition. It's just best to know for sure. Also cutting out gluten and lactose for 2 weeks to see if that helps may be a good idea.You should talk to a doctor abt this.Best to you, T-

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
GI symptoms around the time you wake up is most likely due to how the intestines work in EVERY PERSON. Like pretty much every system in the body the colon has a rhythm to when it is active. Usually when you are asleep it is at it's least active (and this is why IBS rarely bothers people when they are sleeping. Many disease processes like the inflamation seen in an IBD and microscopic colitis do not "go to sleep" when you do, that is not their rhythm)Around the time you wake up the colon is 3X more active than it is during the night. After meals it again becomes more active but not quite as active as it is in the morning.Most people with IBS seem to have problems when the colon is normally going to be more active (some have mornings as a problem some have after meals as more of a problem, I'm an after meals and it was volume based, not which food I ate). There are a few IBSers that have middle of the night problems, but that is quite rare in IBSers and quite common in other diseases, so that is why when you have this you need to tell the doctor this symptom, and need more tests to check for other things.That is it much more likely to be not-IBS with "wakes you up" symptoms than IBS is one of the reasons it is on the "red flag" list.K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.