Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just developed IBS about a year ago . But it kind ascares me because my grandmother had it, then she had collin promblems and collen cancer. Could this all be linked and it is possible for me to be just like that. Also is there anychance it could go away. my mum had it when we first moved to canada but now its gone. I am jsut very confused and am feelin like i am just living for the hell of it. I do nothing fun anymore and i was wanting to know how other people delt with it.i'm only 19 and i have noone really my age to talk to about it.Comments would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi O'laine. Firstly having IBS won't lead to colon cancer! Colon cancer can run in families but IBS won't cause it so try not to worry. Your mum is very lucky that she got better, although perhaps if you talk to her she manages her symptoms very well but still has occasional problems. Most of us do not get 100% better forever although a lot of us can control our symptoms so it's only on rare occasions that IBS flares up and makes us sick again. Have you been to the doctor and been properly diagnosed? And glad you found us
You can ask about pretty much everything here

·
Registered
332 Posts
hey o'lainesorry your having a rough time. i'm 18 and yeah, know just what you mean about living life for the sake of it! actually not sure you could really say i'm living life at the mo...... and yes, it seems to run in my family too. is kinda weird, it seems to skip every 2nd generation. anyhoo, hope you get sorted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too am interested in the hereditary part of IBS. Both my Mother and her only sibling have had it for years and years, as well as myself. I now have an 8 month old who has milk and soy allergies and I'm so worried she'll have it as well. I'm trying to do research to find out what to look for in infants. I don't want to lock out any foods from her diet (other then those containing milk and soy of course), but I would like to know if there are things to watch for. Baby stools change so often in smell, txture, frequency etc, so that's hard to watch. And it's hard to tell when I baby is in pain or is just plain fussy because she's a baby. Amazingly, I have 3 siblings, all boys, and NOT ONE has IBS. I've known for years about is being a predominantly female issue. However I just found out my Bio-Father has intestinal problems as well. Looks like I was doomed getting it from both Mom and Dad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well for me ( if its any help) i cant have yeast, dairy, garlic, red meats, or anything with sugar in the first 4 ingrediants.Garlics a big one for me its an instant trigger. I have found that rice milk and things of that nature really help. Also i take HMF Forte its like a homeopathic medication and it seems to do the trick. I had it when i was little apparently but only if i had anything like ketchup or anything with to much tomato in it.I also have allot of people in my family with it but tey seem to just live on and not really care about it.I think the best thing for it is that if u constantly remind your child that its natural to have bowel movements and that many people ahve it then he should be able to deal. I grew up adn we didnt talk about that stuff so i felt really ashamed of it and didnt want to take a chance of anyone finding out and its made it allot worst for me.But i wish u luck . He might just have allergies and i hope he does, he might also grow out of it

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
IBS is common and one of some 25 functional gi conditions.Genetic influences in irritable bowel syndrome: a twin study.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...9767&query_hl=6Genetics and genotypes in irritable bowel syndrome: implications for diagnosis and treatmenthttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2937&query_hl=6http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2937&query_hl=6Irritable bowel syndrome in twins: heredity and social learning both contribute to etiology.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...6493&query_hl=6Importantly Kids take sickness cue from parentsThe behavioral patterns of those with irritable bowel syndrome can color their children's experiences of their own illnesses.http://wcvb-tvhealth.ip2m.com/index.cfm?pt...Site_Cat_ID=464

·
Registered
14 Posts
Importantly Kids take sickness cue from parentsThe behavioral patterns of those with irritable bowel syndrome can color their children's experiences of their own illnesses.Eric,Thank you for replying. I had a bout of my diarrea today, and on those days I don't get much done because of the cramping pain, and then the many trips to the bathroom. Then, the soreness on my sides and stomach afterwards from the cramping lasting so long. I was thinking earlier today (it's very late night now), how bad I felt that I couldn't interact and play with my baby when I am dealing with this. I thought ahead to when she is older and can realize that Mommy doesn't feel good. And I even thought about would she start saying her stomach hurts too and things like that. I wonder how I will handle it and what to do. I realized that I have to under-play how I am feeling physically so as not to influence her. My Mother has many health problems and I remember worrying all the time as a child growing up. I don't want my daughter to be negatively impacted by my health issues. (I have other problems besides IBS). So thank you for bringing this up. And thanks for the links. I will read them and see what they have to offer. Liz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts