Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am traveling from Chicago for a 2 week vacation in Italy. We are staying in Milan, going to the Italian Grand Prix in Monza, then Venice, Cinque Terra and if time allows Lake Como. My biggest fear is not finding a bathroom quickly enough. I'm sure at the race track they have porta potties, but I'm hoping there are suggestions for the tourist areas. I've been to England and France where I found it much easier to find a public restroom than here in the States. Anyone have any tips for Italy or just tips for finding bathrooms while sight seeing.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Europe is a piece of cake for bath rooms. All service stations on the highways have them. And all the town have coffee bars that have them - even if you or your family or friend have to buy one cup of coffee to us it. Relax. You'll be fine and have a great time. All the areas you're going to are large and well touristed and they have facilities everywhere. Always learn the phrase for, "Where's the toilet?" when traveling abroad. And use the word toilet, not rest room, ladies room, etc. In Europe, etc. they use the work toilet. Have fun! Worrying and stress will only make your IBS worse. Be confident. And if you really need an extra boost just take an adult incontinence pad with you for insurance. I take them and have never had to use them, but it makes me feel better knowing it's there if I want it. Cheers,Elizabeth

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The only places I had to wait in any lines were in a city park and behind one of the museums, both in Rome. As long as you stay in the well travelled streets of Venice, and keep a Euro with you, there should not be any major problems.Enjoy your time there. it is a wonderful country.Mark

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the re-assurances. My girlfriend has a bladder control problem so we are quite a couple. At least she can commiserate with me. I also use Depends just for piece of mind and so if I do have an accident I won't need a change of pants...hopefully. They also give a little confidence on the plane for the times when you can't get out of your seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am traveling from Chicago for a 2 week vacation in Italy. We are staying in Milan, going to the Italian Grand Prix in Monza, then Venice, Cinque Terra and if time allows Lake Como. My biggest fear is not finding a bathroom quickly enough. I'm sure at the race track they have porta potties, but I'm hoping there are suggestions for the tourist areas. I've been to England and France where I found it much easier to find a public restroom than here in the States. Anyone have any tips for Italy or just tips for finding bathrooms while sight seeing.
I found Italy much easier than the US to find a bathroom in. In Rome, where we strolled at night, any restaurant would allow you to use their bathroom, even if you didn't eat there. All you have to do is say "Toilette?" They will usher you right in to use it.I found the same thing all over Italy, including Venice. Here in the US, all the bathrooms are locked up, or they deny you use of it if you are not a customer. So if you are going for a walk in the US and you need to use a bathroom, you cannot stop into a restaurant and ask if you did not eat there. It is much friendlier in Italy.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
When I was in Germany, one thing I noticed is that some toilet doors are marked with an H and D. I t turns out that stands for "Herren"--Men--and "Damen"--Women, obviously. It wasn't until someone came out that I realized I had found what I was looking for. (Then in Munich, in beer drinking Bavaria, "Toilette" could be seen painted on the wall above the rooms. I think the whole city walks around with a full bladder much of the time...)Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.