Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since I've stopped in but my home pc was down for a bit. I want to know what I can do to battle constant fatigue.I am constantly tired and when I do get a brief moment of energy I it runs out very quickly.I am taking Levity vitamins, drinking 8 -8 ounces glasses of water a day and trying to eat right. I would love to exercise but by the time I get home at night all I want to do is retire to the couch and do nothing. I have kids so this is making me very depressed.I noticed that I feel most tired the week before my period and also during my period. I only have about 1 week out of the month where I feel like I have some energy.My dr. recommened a new mattress because mine is about 12 years old, soft and sags in the middle. I often get back and side pains. Not sure if this would cause me to be tired the next day or not.Does anybody else battle fatigue? I've seen my dr. for this and he has prescribed new anti-depressants, new anxiety medications and he has put me on the pill. He also said that I should exercise to raise my energy levels but I tell him I'm too tired to exercise. He also told me that being overweight can cause fatigue and that I need to loose the weight.Please help. I am very depressed because I have no energy to do anything. It's a battle just to come to work. I get anxiety because I feel like the fatigue is from some underlying illness. Thanks,Chris

·
Banned
415 Posts
Hi Chris,When i was on anti-depresants i was tired all the time. I stil goet bouts of fatigue that can last a week or more.One of the best things is hard to do but very simple. Just don't give in to it. When you feel all you want to do is sit down, don't. Get up and just walk a little, or load the washing machine or dishwasher. Anything. You should find that your body will realise you are battleing this tiredness and will kick in to help. Just don't give in every time and it will get better. You will still get tired, but be strong. It will get worse if you give in to it as your body will get into that routine.Hope this helpsLisa

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, last weeking during PMS I was so fatigued but I psshed myself to clean and get on the treadmill. I finally would resign around 8 but I figured I made it through the day. I wonder what causes such dramatic tiredness? It's such a pain. I think it's probably a combination of things. The anti-depressants actually battle the fatigue and make me have more energy - odd, huh? Ijust hate feeling depressed about being tired and I hate the feeling of anxiety wondering what's causing me to be so tired.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Fatiguehttp://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003088.htm"Here are some tips for reducing fatigue:Get adequate, regular, and consistent amounts of sleep each night. Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water throughout the day. Exercise regularly. Learn better ways to relax. Try yoga or meditation. Maintain a reasonable work and personal schedule. Change your stressful circumstances, if possible. For example, switch jobs, take a vacation, and deal directly with problems in a relationship. Take a multivitamin. Talk to your doctor about what is best for you. Avoid alcohol, nicotine, and drug use. "

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Hi Chris,I know we talked about this before, regarding the supplements I use. I addressed my problem, which was highlighted by fighting nodding off at the wheel, with highly absorbed minerals (96%) guaranteed to give you more energy in the multi-vits I take. If the minerals in the brand you are using are chelated, you will absorb about 40%. If they are not chelated, you will normally absorb under 10%. After starting down this path and ridding myself of the D, I was then able to use that energy to start a diet and exercise program that has led to a 20-30 pound, sustained, weightloss, which also dropped my blood pressure to normal. This recovery all started with the vitamins.If you would like to take another crack at this, e-mail me. (That's the best I can do.)Mark

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hi Chris,I looked up levity vitamins, so I know you're not unfamiliar w/ B vitamins...but just something to consider...it may be a folate/folic acid deficiency, which requires more than is provided by your current vitamins to correct."The following are the most common symptoms of folate-deficiency anemia. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms may include the following":abnormal paleness or lack of color in the skin decreased appetite irritability lack of energy or tiring easily (fatigue) diarrhea smooth and tender tonguehttp://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/uvahe...lood/folate.cfmFrom Harvard~"Anemia, producing fatigue, weakness, irritability, and shortness of breath, is the classic sign of folate deficiency. These symptoms come on gradually and are caused by a reduction in the blood’s oxygen-carrying capacity. Folic acid deficiency can also cause a sore tongue, indigestion, and diarrhea. Low levels of folate are common in people with intestinal disorders, alcoholism, or any other condition that compromises nutrient absorption." http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Fabulous_Folate.htmIt can be similar to B12 deficiency, so its VERY important to also supplement B12 when supplementing folate~"Folic acid deficiency is fairly common. It generates a picture similar to that of a B12 deficiencyâ€"anemia, fatigue, irritability, anorexia, weight loss, headache, sore and inflamed tongue, diarrhea, heart palpitations, forgetfulness, hostility, and a feeling of paranoia. Often, the mental symptoms occur before the anemia, with poor memory (possibly from decreased RNA synthesis), general apathy, withdrawal, irritability, and a decrease in basic mental powers. "http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=2133Here, they suggest taking 400 mcg folic acid 3 xs/day~"Signs and symptoms of folic acid deficiency anemia gradually produces clinical features similar to other megaloblastic anemias, but without neurologic manifistations of B12 deficiency. Symptoms include the following:progressive fatigue shortness of breath heart palpitations weakness glossitis (inflammation of the tongue) nausea anorexia headache fainting irritability forgetfulness pallor slight jaundiceConventional treatment consists primarily of folic acid supplements (about 400 mg. three times daily) and, more importantly, the elimination of contributing causes. Oral administrations of folate preparations are 1 to 5 mg daily."http://www.innvista.com/health/ailments/anemias/folicdef.htm

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,At this point I'm ready to try just about anything as I can't take much more. It's 12:44 p.m. and I'm dead tired.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well I was where you are about April of last year.. I was feeling so fatiqued... I would just want to slide off the chair at work.. let alone do all the things necessary to daily life... I tried taking vitamins.. didn't work.. decided I had better get it checked out.. I told him my S/s.... He asked had I been ill recently... I couldn't recall feeling ill except for one day at work... my eyes feeling a little tired... and my throat scratchy... I took my Temp... it was elevated... I took my defense vitamins... a few times that day... and thought nothing else of it.. I felt fine... He said... lets to a blood test for Mono... and a basice metabolic panel... well Lo and behold... they called me at work and told me... I had MONO... AT 57.....I took me a long time to recover from... it months before the tiredness finally went away... I have no idea who gave it to me... possibly one of my patients where I work... had it.. unknowingly or what...There are alot of things that can cause fatique.. besides depression...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think it's depression that is causing me to be fatigued. I think I'm depressed because I have fatigue. Does that make sense?Like I said I'm mostly fatigued during PMS and the week of my period. I have a feeling I might have a hormone inbalance (per my dr.). I've been like this on and off my entire life. During the winter it seems to be worse.I know fatigue can be from so many different things or nothing at all. I try to relax and not think the worse but when my mind wanders I begin to think of the worse and it doesn't do my mind any good except make me more tired.Not sure what else I can do except revisit my dr. to have him run more exhausting tests.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Chris, I'm glad you're going to the doc. Tests, no fun, but I hope he/she can check your blood levels for folic acid and B12. Because low levels of folic acid/folate in the body decrease production of red blood cells, this causes the fatigue. As someone who is no expert, it seems to make sense to me that during pms and menstruation, blood loss, that the fatigue would worsen...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night after work I went and bought Folic Acid and Iron Supplements. Thank you. I hope these work. Being tired is no fun.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hi Chris, I hope it helps too. You're very pro-active & determined to get better--that's half the battle!But, if you don't mind me butting in again, I need to tell you something pretty important. I recommended extra folic acid and if you take that it's very imp to also take B12. And more importantly, if indeed you do have a folic acid deficiency, taking iron is NOT the thing to do at all...Iron supplements may increase iron to toxic levels if you've got a diff type of anemia(B9/folate/folic acid or B12). Folic acid deficiency is more common(esp in women who've had children & have intestinal inflammation) & taking therapeutic levels of folic acid and B12 is relatively safe. The B12 is imp because deficiencies in either have similar symptoms(altho B12 defic also has more mental problems present), and B12 needs to be present to activate folic acid.If you don't see an improvement in energy in 3 days to 3 weeks, you should get your liver checked, if you haven't already. There's also something called an "intrinsic factor" that's needed to absorb B12, it's rare, but it's possible for some to be lacking it. In that case, they give B12 injections. You can get tested for the intrinsic factor as well...If your liver is okay, THEN try iron supplements if your doctor oks it...Here's an article on fatigue caused by liver disease that's pretty thorough~http://liverdisease.com/fatigue_hepatitis.htmlAnd if you're the detail type, here's a very good article on folic acid~http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/...olicAcidcs.htmlDue to the complexity of vitamin deficiencies, it really is best to go to the doctor to help figure it all out. I see you roller blading next year!
Tal

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think that is why people need to have a doctor determine what is going on.. Fatique can be a s/s of sooooooooooooooooo many things.. Much better to be sure .... what you are dealing with.. then hit or miss and taking something that actually you don't really need... to me that is throwing good money after bad....Fatique can be a s/s of thyroid disease, hepatitis, anemia, viruses, leukemia, heart disease, immunosupressant diseases, deficiencies, lung disease..... and from certain medications.......... better left to a professional IMHO....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been on B12 shots and that seems to be helping with my fatigue a bit. My doctor did a blood test and said my B12 levels were normal, but at the lower end. I got a shot once a week for a month for the first month and now I get them once a month. My medical insurance covers it.. I think it’s only $20 otherwise. I heard that in many cases B12 helps with depression too. My doc says that the shots can’t hurt you… whatever your body doesn’t use you just pee out. I’m always leery of taking vitamin supplements orally because of my IBS (everything seems hard for me to digest!). Plus I was told that your body absorbs it better through a shot. The worst side effect I’ve had was a little soreness in my arm where the shot was given (no more than what you’d get from flu shot). Can’t hurt to try it!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,Thanks for all of the good advice. I feel more energy the last few days - probably because I'm not men. or have PMS right now. I'm going to ask for the B12 shot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts